TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We lost a member of our Eagle family.

Default Re: We lost a member of our Eagle family.

Mac was just a great guy. RIP

Mac was a good one. He loved his seat on the wall at Paulson and he loved all things GS!
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

We just lost a DFE. Godspeed McEagle

Wow, another one of the old timers on this board gone. He seemed like a good dude. So sad.... RIP and condolences to his family.

Sad news indeed. RIP McEagle
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Eagle nation lost a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleu View Post
    Michael J McNamara (McEagle) passed away yesterday (15 July).

Many folks who post on this board knew Mike. He was a native New Yorker (Bronx) and alumnus of IONA but had adopted our university after his son and two daughters matriculated at Georgia Southern. He became enamored with Georgia Southern football like many of us, during the early years when coach Russell was at the helm. His love for Georgia Southern sports extended beyond just football as he followed, supported and attended baseball and basketball games both home and away.

Mike accomplished much in his life having been a CPA and holding the position of CFO for the Atlanta Diocese of the Catholic Church. He was a man of faith. A wonderful family man and friend.

When he retired he and his wife Alice, moved from Atlanta (Roswell area) to Bearwallow Mountain outside of Hendersonville NC. He would routinely make the trek from North Carolina to attend home football games and traveled to many away games until declining health precluded him from doing so.

Mike was an engaging character and very respected by those that knew him. He had that Irish twinkle in his eye and his wit and humor will be sorely missed.

I am very humbly grateful for all those times we spent together traveling to ball games filled with spirited conversation on a wide range of topics.

So I raise my glass to toast my dear friend. I will miss Mike terribly but when I think of him I will always smile.
    Bleu, One of my favorite days as an Eagle was watching baseball with you and McEagle at WCU with various members of mine and McEagle's families. Good times for sure.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

Very sad to hear this, RIP my friend and go Iona.

Mac, Randy, Bill... Such good times with those guys. That was real Georgia Southern Eagle football wasn't it, Bleu. Mac's with Alice again.

I have rewritten this post more times than I care to admit. This probably gives you some idea as to how important Mike was to me. About 15 years ago,I was having a conversation with Frank Hook regarding the need for an Eagle club in the upstate of South Carolina. Frank said you really need to meet two people, Mike McNamara and Bill Bates. I will forever be grateful. Sure I have great memories of football, baseball and basketball games, but what I will miss are the frequent phone conversations. I learned so much about politics, history, sports, and religion. In so many ways, McNamara was a mentor. Always sharing the pearls of wisdom from years of experience. I believe that Mike is happy now, laughing with Alice and family. Thank you for everything old friend. Peace be with you.