TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

View Poll Results: What is the most embarassing loss ever for the football program?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Troy 1992

3 5.08%
  • West Georgia 1994

9 15.25%
  • Central Connecticut State 2006

8 13.56%
  • Georgia State 2015

37 62.71%
  • Other

2 3.39%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Most embarassing loss ever

Default Re: Most embarassing loss ever

Quote Originally Posted by Gnat Line Eagle View Post
    To me, embarrassment = high expectations vs poor outcome, regardless of the opponent. The 2017 Auburn game was really bad. I know it was a P5 team and all that, but they completely dominated that game. Just couldn’t even finish watching it. I was hoping it would have at least been as competitive as the last time we played Auburn in the 90s, but didn’t turn out that way.

Also, the West Virginia game felt similar to me. High expectations, but just just wasn’t a competitive game.
    Fritz is a very competent coach and I wouldn't mind if he's stayed a while. Navy, West Va, and GaSt were pitiful losses and App St 2015. Reminds me of Sewak, but better than that.

2. Default Re: Most embarassing loss ever

Yea, gosh, forgot about Navy, that was a bad one too.

To me, embarrassment = high expectations vs poor outcome, regardless of the opponent. The 2017 Auburn game was really bad. I know it was a P5 team and all that, but they completely dominated that game. Just couldn’t even finish watching it. I was hoping it would have at least been as competitive as the last time we played Auburn in the 90s, but didn’t turn out that way.

Also, the West Virginia game felt similar to me. High expectations, but just just wasn’t a competitive game.
    I agree about 2017 Auburn and WV. I expected so much more out of those games. I didn’t expect to be embarrassed so badly. I knew we’d lose, but not so terribly. I expect us to perform so well against P5s. I felt so embarrassed when the Auburn PA announced the 10th 3-and-out against us.

You guys remember that we were down 48-10 at HALFTIME to a winless UMass team in 2017 right? It wasnt just that they beat us but there are highschool teams in Georgia that could have put up a better fight that day.

I dont care how good or bad we were but that's quite literally the lowest point in program history and it's not even close. As far as being an embarrassment in the public eye I dont think it can get worse from a football perpective. At least UNH was an FCS playoff team.

5. Default Re: Most embarassing loss ever

Quote Originally Posted by ToastyGS View Post
    You guys remember that we were down 48-10 at HALFTIME to a winless UMass team in 2017 right? It wasnt just that they beat us but there are highschool teams in Georgia that could have put up a better fight that day.

I dont care how good or bad we were but that's quite literally the lowest point in program history and it's not even close. As far as being an embarrassment in the public eye I dont think it can get worse from a football perpective. At least UNH was an FCS playoff team.
    That game never should have happened.

TS should not have been given a second season.

We knew at that first Sav State game that it would be bad..... We just didn't imagine it would get that bad.

Water under the bridge and all, but that second season should have started with a new coach. Giving someone as horrible as TS another shot was the worst mistake our program ever made.

Hopefully, our new continuity fund and increased focus on how important that position is will ensure we never paint ourselves into that corner again.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I guess it all depends on how you define embarrassing. The Ga St loss inhale vigorouslyed bad no question but a lot of you are acting like we lost to a winless team that day. That was a .500 team that went to a bowl game. We’ve definitely had more embarrassing moments. To me losing to UNH blows the Ga St loss away when it comes to embarrassing. And Central Connecticut blows the UNH loss away.

Playing the game in Birmingham probably saved the UNH game some embarrassment. I mean we were losing that game no matter where it was played. It would be more embarrassing if it happened in Paulson.
    Only because they beat us in THAT game
    = more embarrassing IMHO
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

7. Default Re: Most embarassing loss ever

Yea, gosh, forgot about Navy, that was a bad one too.
    A player at the time that I was acquaintances with, said they were just exhausted from traveling to and from San Marcos and then to Annapolis within a week of each other, and that they were "too cold to even think".

You guys remember that we were down 48-10 at HALFTIME to a winless UMass team in 2017 right?
    And it should have been 55-10, except the refs made the "mercy rule" call on the fumble after the TD.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

9. Default Re: Most embarassing loss ever

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    And it should have been 55-10, except the refs made the "mercy rule" call on the fumble after the TD.
    I genuinely don't even remember that game, maybe my mind blocked it out. The only 2017 games I recall are Auburn and UNH.

It was a pitiful half of football but it has some mitigating factors. UMass won 4 of their last 6 games including beating App and almost beating Miss State. And we got to avenge it the very next season with a convincing win. We could've given State 3 straight beat downs after 2015 and that would still sting.

Losing to a bad team itself doesn't make for an embarrassment. I think the 2001 ETSU team might be one of the worst teams we've ever lost to in my time as a fan, but it's never going to be among the first games that come to mind when people think of embarrassments. The UMass game would probably be completely forgotten if it wasn't for the fact it was Tyson Summers' "last stand". By the same token, since 2014 we've beaten more than a few teams that would beat that 2013 Florida team that won't be nearly as memorable as beating Florida themselves.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 12th July 2019 at 12:40 PM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.