TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What happened to transitioning away from the Eagle logo?

1. Default Re: What happened to transitioning away from the Eagle logo?

The idea of multiple logos doesnít bother me much.

I was really pissed off when they first came out with the eagle head and the words back in the 90s, and that one is still my least favorite. The version without the words has grown on me. It ainít bad.

I have always like whatís now called the ďacademic logoĒ the best. Iíd be happy if we had always stuck with that and nothing else... I agree it would have been nice if we never came up with so many logos which are used in a slap shot manner...

But what do we do now? I have stuff with three different logos. I prefer different logos with certain colors. Variety ainít necessarily a bad thing.

That being said, we donít need to invent more logos. We are set. Donít need more.

2. Default Re: What happened to transitioning away from the Eagle logo?

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Mostly because, I am assuming, you like those two the best. My three favorites are the academic logo, baseball GS, and Eagle Head with Georgia Southern spelled out below it.

All schools have multiple logos and use them for different things. But they typically have two or three that are the most recognizable and most used. I don't think we are that different from most others.

Not necessarily, certainly I like them, but I just think that those two (Academic & Baseball) logos are the most unique and less likely to become "dated." I mentioned that most of my gear is the GS spelled out with the Eagle head on top, yeah I usually select that because in my mind it helps expose the brand, but I also like it. However, I have seen that same Eagle head logo used by HS's, same with the Eagle head with the GS letters. Its just not as unique to the university as the Acedemic and baseball GS, and over time I image it would become outdated (like the one with the perched Eagle over the GS from the 90's), JMHO.

Default Re: What happened to transitioning away from the Eagle logo?

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Not necessarily, certainly I like them, but I just think that those two (Academic & Baseball) logos are the most unique and less likely to become "dated." I mentioned that most of my gear is the GS spelled out with the Eagle head on top, yeah I usually select that because in my mind it helps expose the brand, but I also like it. However, I have seen that same Eagle head logo used by HS's, same with the Eagle head with the GS letters. Its just not as unique to the university as the Acedemic and baseball GS, and over time I image it would become outdated (like the one with the perched Eagle over the GS from the 90's), JMHO.
    almost every good college and pro logo is copied by high schools. That's nothing new. To me it doesn't diminish the original any.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

4. Default Re: What happened to transitioning away from the Eagle logo?

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    almost every good college and pro logo is copied by high schools. That's nothing new. To me it doesn't diminish the original any.
    Yeah, not to me either, thatís why I buy it so often but I stand by my original point.

+1, academic logo VERY COOL. the baseball "GS" also cool, simple but seems the best one to establish as "OUR' brand. With all the "eagle" logos we have had, imo, never have really liked any of them, either their design is too "busy" or too simplistic.

GS has also gone after several high schools about copyright infringement.

I guess I'm in the minority but the Academic logo looks very outdated to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

Another academic logo - this one actually is the most professional looking one for an academic application

8. Default Re: What happened to transitioning away from the Eagle logo?

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    GS has also gone after several high schools about copyright infringement.

I don't understand why they would go after any high schools......

I don't see the down side. Our HS used uniforms which looked just like Green Bay, and they didn't seem to mind. I have seen HS uniforms which look like UGA. I'm sure many HS kids would think the GS logo is pretty cool, so why not let them wear it? What's the harm?

And yes. You are in the minority on the academic logo. That should always remain. Always!

That was the perfect logo, and still stands as my all time favorite of any school anywhere. It is perfect.

Some things should never change. UGA and GT have long-time logos which should not change, and neither should ours. (Although UGA did steal their logo from Green Bay.)

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I don't understand why they would go after any high schools......
    Because we paid to have the logos created and they are property and registered trademarks of Georgia Southern. The entire idea was to create our own "brand" of eagle... not use something recycled like so many other schools/high schools. The design of the eagle head and the font are Georgia Southern specific.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    Iíd agree with that, as I said before I donít really see how it could be incorporated with athletics. But because itís such a recognizable logo within the state, I donít think it should go away permanently. It should definitely remain as part of merchandising, but I donít think it should be attributed to any sport at this point.

Tech would be the best to compare to. They have two main logos, the GT and the Yellow Jacket. We should keep ours to two as well, the GS and the Eagle Head. Iím fully with Eagle Man too, I would love to see numbers on one side of the helmet and the plain white GS on the other.