TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to transitioning away from the Eagle logo?

1. Default What happened to transitioning away from the Eagle logo?

Maybe I'm not remembering things correctly, but before last season didn't the athletics department make some announcement that we would be moving towards using the baseball logo as our primary for athletics, and/or moving away from the Eagle head? Doesn't seem that that has happened at all.

Default Re: What happened to transitioning away from the Eagle logo?

I have not heard that, but I hope it's not true personally. I think the GS baseball logo is fine, I would have preferred it stay a baseball logo, but not my call I suppose. If they are insistent on the GS nomenclature we have the old athletics logo (now a secondary logo, i guess?) with the GS and the eagle head which would complement the other logos well while keeping the same mascot. I already feel like we have too many logos floating around, and we change something every 5 years or so, we will never build a consistent identity.

3. Default Re: What happened to transitioning away from the Eagle logo?

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    I have not heard that, but I hope it's not true personally. I think the GS baseball logo is fine, I would have preferred it stay a baseball logo, but not my call I suppose. If they are insistent on the GS nomenclature we have the old athletics logo (now a secondary logo, i guess?) with the GS and the eagle head which would complement the other logos well while keeping the same mascot. I already feel like we have too many logos floating around, and we change something every 5 years or so, we will never build a consistent identity.
    Like I said, I could just be remembering things incorrectly. But I could've sworn there was an announcement from the athletics Twitter about moving towards the GS logo, and at the same time they changed their profile to the GS rather than the Eagle. Even the next letter from TK had the GS logo as a "stamp" on it.

We've instructed media to refer to us as Georgia Southern for years. The G-S-C/G-S-U chants started with Southern Pride at football games. GS is fine with me, especially as it starts to identify only Georgia Southern.

Of the coach's gear that has arrived for SXC, Adidas has seemingly emphasized the standalone eagle head (from the newer athletic logos) as well as the words "Georgia Southern" which may be an indication of how athletics is going to be branded this year, at least through football.

https://southernexchangecompany.com/...tions/headwear

The only thing that I remember them saying they were going away from was the eagle head with the G and S on either side of it. They were/are using the eagle head with the full Georgia Southern words spelled out instead of that.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

7. Default Re: What happened to transitioning away from the Eagle logo?

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    Maybe I'm not remembering things correctly, but before last season didn't the athletics department make some announcement that we would be moving towards using the baseball logo as our primary for athletics, and/or moving away from the Eagle head? Doesn't seem that that has happened at all.
    I don’t think they announced that it would be our new primary logo, just that the logo would be used Athletics-wide instead of just for baseball.

8. Default Re: What happened to transitioning away from the Eagle logo?

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    Of the coach's gear that has arrived for SXC, Adidas has seemingly emphasized the standalone eagle head (from the newer athletic logos) as well as the words "Georgia Southern" which may be an indication of how athletics is going to be branded this year, at least through football.

https://southernexchangecompany.com/...tions/headwear
    I think the plan was always to transition from the Eagle Head + Name logo to the standalone Eagle Head logo as our brand became more recognizable. Schools with the same graphic design (Coastal Carolina, Georgia State, and UNC Charlotte) have already transitioned from their name logos to their wordless ones.

I remember something similar, I think the GS will be more widespread used for athletics and not just exclusive to baseball. Likely using the popularity of Cole and his partnership to expand the brand.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Here's a good read from Hail-Southern.com regarding the logo situation. And I agree with him completely, we need to simplify and move forward.

https://www.hail-southern.com/blogs/...of-distinction