TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Countdown To Kickoff

1. Default 2019 Countdown To Kickoff

We're 65 days from kickoff, so here's Tim Camp going 65 yards against Northeastern in 2008.

Georgia Southern trailed 27-21 with 1:34 left in the game and Northeastern down to the GS26. Chris Rogers forced a fumble and J.B. Shippy recovered.

Antonio Henton completed a 20 yard pass to Leander Barney, and then completed this 65 yard touchdown to Tim Camp to tie the game.

Of course, this was 2008, so overtime was pretty much a requirement. Jesse Hartley's go-ahead extra point was blocked and the game stayed tied 27-27.

With 1 minute left, the GS defense forced a 3-and-out and got the ball back with 32 seconds left. Henton completed a 39 yard pass to Raja Andrews to put the Eagles in field goal range, but Hartley's 45 yard attempt was hooked left.

In overtime, Henton kept the ball on a read option and went 25 yards for the TD, and the Eagle defense held Northeastern on their OT possession to preserve the win. This would be the first of 4 overtime games in 2008.

The win expectancy chart for this game is a fun one:

More details and advanced stats about this game can be found on GATAdb: https://gatadb.com/game/337/boxscore/

For a full recap, the Coach's Show can be found here:

Last edited by Klak; 27th June 2019 at 10:34 AM.

Default Re: 2019 Countdown To Kickoff

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    We're 65 days from kickoff, so here's Tim Camp going 65 yards against Northeastern in 2008.

Georgia Southern trailed 27-21 with 1:34 left in the game and Northeastern down to the GS26. Chris Rogers forced a fumble and J.B. Shippy recovered.

Antonio Henton completed a 20 yard pass to Leander Barney, and then completed this 65 yard touchdown to Tim Camp to tie the game.
    Uggh . . .

Hatcher had some serious roster management issues, didn't he?
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Uggh . . .

Hatcher had some serious roster management issues, didn't he?
    Chris Rogers was a carryover from BVG (or prior) wasn't he? I don't remember many issues with him. Unless my memory is just fading me.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Chris Rogers was a carryover from BVG (or prior) wasn't he? I don't remember many issues with him. Unless my memory is just fading me.
    BVG brought him in, but he quit the team under Hatcher . . . no idea why. I forgot to highlight Jesse Hartley, who didn't complete his eligibility either, IIRC.

Anyway, six names mentioned and five of them flamed out.

That was the Hatcher era in a nutshell.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I believe he was a sophomore in 2008 and didn't come back the next season, but I'm not sure.

2008 was such a crazy year of attrition it's hard to keep up, though.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

6. Default Re: 2019 Countdown To Kickoff

We're 64 days from kickoff, so here's Matt Breida going 64 yards against South Alabama and putting the Sun Belt on notice.

During the week leading up to this game, the conversation from Sun Belt fans was all about FBS Depth. Sure, we could hang with NC State and Georgia Tech for a while, but an FCS team just can't compete week-to-week over an entire Sun Belt schedule. South Alabama has had multiple years to build up their depth and Georgia Southern just had no chance to beat the mighty Jaguars.

But then Matt Breida did Matt Breida things.

Georgia Southern would go on to win 28-6 in a game that never really felt that close. USA fans blamed the loss on "all the dropped passes" and still didn't want to admit that the Eagles were for real. GS went on to an 8-0 conference record and a Sun Belt title. South Alabama finished the season 6-7, which still stands as their highest FBS win total.

Overall, GS is 5-0 against USA with an average score of 41-9.

More details and advanced stats about this game can be found on GATAdb: https://gatadb.com/game/415/boxscore/

The full game and Quick-Cut can be found here:

Also, "what you do in FCS doesn't matter".
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

8. Default Re: 2019 Countdown To Kickoff

We're 63 days from kickoff, so here's Tim Foley's I-AA/FCS record 63 yard field goal against James Madison in 1987.

I'm just gonna let Erk tell you about this one.

More details about this game can be found on GATAdb: https://gatadb.com/game/73/

The full coach's show can be found here:

After that play JMU was deflated.

They even called a TO to figure out if it was going to be a fake. Or maybe to “ice” Foley. lol

10. Default Re: 2019 Countdown To Kickoff

We're 62 days from kickoff, so here's Caleb Williams scooping up a Georgia fumble and going 62 yards for the go-ahead score in 2015.

The big jump up in win expectancy in the 3rd quarter is this play. The huge drop in OT is the wildcat on 4th down.

More details and advanced stats about this game can be found on GATAdb: https://gatadb.com/game/433/boxscore/

And if you have the heart, the full game and Quick-Cut can be found here: