TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Countdown To Kickoff

1. Default Re: 2019 Countdown To Kickoff

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Yeah, but Greg’s downhill speed was incredible. He wasn’t as fast as Upshaw, but he had a similar ability to run to the edge on anybody. Plus, he was a much better passer than Upshaw and much, much better in the pitch game.

Imagine Ellison with a better arm and home-run hitting ability.

And while he was scrawny, he knew how to avoid the big hits and keep himself safe.

IMO, Shai is closer to JR, with better feet near the LoS. He’s also more of a “project” as a passer. He makes up for that with the afore-mentioned explosive feet and size/strength advantage.

IMO, he’s in the JR/Chaz camp right now. He could move up, though.

Edit: why focus on Greg’s arm? We threw more and more effectively in ‘98-99 than we have in our current offense. It’s hardly the Air Raid. I just think his running style (downhill burst) would have been even more effective in a zone read-based scheme like our current one.
    The focus on his arm is because this offense will ask the QB to eventually throw 12-15 times a game. We haven't done it yet but we are installing more and more of the offense. If Shai keeps progressing the same, he will be the second best to ever play here. I think the opposite as you with these two. I think Greg was stupid quick laterally and did have great long speed. I don't think is anywhere as quick laterally but he runs downhill very well and keeps his eyes up so that he can see the running lanes.

2. Default Re: 2019 Countdown To Kickoff

Werts has an awesome arm.

He threw several totally catchable balls last season.

Drops are not his fault.

He's definitely the overall best GS QB I've seen play in person.

Default Re: 2019 Countdown To Kickoff

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Werts has an awesome arm.

He threw several totally catchable balls last season.

Drops are not his fault.

He's definitely the overall best GS QB I've seen play in person.
    When did you start watching?

Werts throws a great deep ball and generates a fair amount of zip on his throws. He has a quirky delivery and is inconsistent in his feel for the passing game, though.

I’m not sure whether the former will limit his ceiling as a passer or whether the latter is something he can overcome with experience.

In the best case, neither will hurt him in the long run. He’s already a good system passer a la Chaz Williams as a senior.
    Last edited by pete4256; 20th July 2019 at 10:22 AM.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle02120624 View Post
    The focus on his arm is because this offense will ask the QB to eventually throw 12-15 times a game. We haven't done it yet but we are installing more and more of the offense. If Shai keeps progressing the same, he will be the second best to ever play here. I think the opposite as you with these two. I think Greg was stupid quick laterally and did have great long speed. I don't think is anywhere as quick laterally but he runs downhill very well and keeps his eyes up so that he can see the running lanes.

I’m just excited to be having this conversation, as we’ve had seven or eight QBs before Werts (in 30-odd years of option football) who were all-American or conference POTY-level talents.

I’ve been a big fan of Shai all along. He’s tough, athletically dynamic, and has a high ceiling in this offense. Probably the most under-rated element of his game is his strength. Again, the only question is where he tops out—as a damn fine system QB, or better.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Yeah, but Greg’s downhill speed was incredible. He wasn’t as fast as Upshaw, but he had a similar ability to run to the edge on anybody. Plus, he was a much better passer than Upshaw and much, much better in the pitch game.

Imagine Ellison with a better arm and home-run hitting ability.

And while he was scrawny, he knew how to avoid the big hits and keep himself safe.

IMO, Shai is closer to JR, with better feet near the LoS. He’s also more of a “project” as a passer. He makes up for that with the afore-mentioned explosive feet and size/strength advantage.

IMO, he’s in the JR/Chaz camp right now. He could move up, though.

Edit: why focus on Greg’s arm? We threw more and more effectively in ‘98-99 than we have in our current offense. It’s hardly the Air Raid. I just think his running style (downhill burst) would have been even more effective in a zone read-based scheme like our current one than it was in a veer-based scheme. If Jayson ran for 1800+ and threw for 1200+ in the 2007 spread option, Greg could probably have run for 1400+ and thrown for 1600+.
    you aren’t kidding

many times I saw him take a hit and thought he was going to be hurt
    but he would pop up and head back to the huddle without any apparent ill effects
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

I’m hoping he put on 10 good pounds this year
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

I always wonder what Ellison’s legacy would be if he had as much success passing his first few years as he did his last year. If he hits receivers in stride against Nc State and App State in 2015 we win both those games. In 2016 he finally seemed to have those lollipops out of his game. There’s no telling how bad some of those games get if he’s not able to pass as well as he did with how we struggled to run the ball. He was a great player who could have been even better.

8. Default Re: 2019 Countdown To Kickoff

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    I always wonder what Ellison’s legacy would be if he had as much success passing his first few years as he did his last year. If he hits receivers in stride against Nc State and App State in 2015 we win both those games. In 2016 he finally seemed to have those lollipops out of his game. There’s no telling how bad some of those games get if he’s not able to pass as well as he did with how we struggled to run the ball. He was a great player who could have been even better.
    You do realize he only threw 106 passes that year. Shuman threw it 72 times in the little bit he played. 2014 was his most effective year throwing it until he got hurt in the last game vs La-monroe. I think that injury carried over into 2015 for the most part. In 2016 he still didn't have the zip nor the touch he had in 2014 but had a higher completion rate due to "Air raid" Gillespie calling the plays. I don't think his shoulder ever recovered fully.

9. Default Re: 2019 Countdown To Kickoff

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    One other thing 2016 wasn't nearly as bad from a statistical perspective as people make it out to be. The biggest difference between 2016 and 2018 was turnovers, defense couldn't stop the big play, and the biggest of all was DISCIPLINE.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle02120624 View Post
    You do realize he only threw 106 passes that year. Shuman threw it 72 times in the little bit he played. 2014 was his most effective year throwing it until he got hurt in the last game vs La-monroe. I think that injury carried over into 2015 for the most part. In 2016 he still didn't have the zip nor the touch he had in 2014 but had a higher completion rate due to "Air raid" Gillespie calling the plays. I don't think his shoulder ever recovered fully.
    Very true. We may never know how much that shoulder injury affected his career.