TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Erk Russell's grandson continues family football legacy

Default Re: Erk Russell's grandson continues family football legacy

He's a good guy. The family is gold. Erk wasn't generally the type to hold a grudge but during the '03-'04 off season IIRC, Rusty was fired and Erk accepted that. MS was quoted in the Herald mentioning he spoke with Erk. Erk disputed that and cut ties. He spent Thursday evening with the team before opening Saturday in 2006 and died the next day.
    It's great to see continued success. I remember Erk talking about his VSU games at Snookys. He was very proud.

2. Default Re: Erk Russell's grandson continues family football legacy

I have a feeling the ajc pumped up the UGA parts of the interview because that paper is trash.

They could have talked about GS at length, about Erk and the family and whatever, but the ajc probably have have left it all out. That paper has been total dumpster liner for 20+ years.

For some reason, GS completely disappeared from the ajc back in the 90s.

Outside of what was done by BVG to repair the relationship, I don't know what else GS can do no our end to appease the family. But they should always have VIP availability to just about any and every sporting event regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I have a feeling the ajc pumped up the UGA parts of the interview because that paper is trash.

They could have talked about GS at length, about Erk and the family and whatever, but the ajc probably have have left it all out. That paper has been total dumpster liner for 20+ years.

Print media is dead.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

5. Default Re: Erk Russell's grandson continues family football legacy

I don't recall Southern having "completely disappeared" from the AJC during the 90s. I'm probably wrong. You do tend to know a lot about everything. Or everything about a lot.
    “When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”
    A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

6. Default Re: Erk Russell's grandson continues family football legacy

Quote Originally Posted by elmothemoose View Post
    I don't recall Southern having "completely disappeared" from the AJC during the 90s. I'm probably wrong. You do tend to know a lot about everything. Or everything about a lot.
    Back when I was at GS, there was MUCH more coverage of our football in the ajc. Pretty sure there was a game summary every week. Or the journal at the time. The journal was a decent paper which valued its readers. I guess the merger between the journal and the constitution had something to with it. What emerged was a paper which was out of touch and spiteful of its reader and their views. Readership has fallen off a cliff (deservedly so.)

I think back in the 80s and maybe til the mid 90s, GS got more attention in the paper. Not sure exactly when, but every program other that UGA (and a small bit of attention to GT) fell completely off their radar.

That paper has inhale vigorouslyed for a couple decades. From cover to cover. Not exactly a surprise that their sports reporting would be just as pathetic as the rest of their tripe.

Back when I was at GS, there was MUCH more coverage of our football in the ajc. Pretty sure there was a game summary every week. Or the journal at the time. The journal was a decent paper which valued its readers. I guess the merger between the journal and the constitution had something to with it. What emerged was a paper which was out of touch and spiteful of its reader and their views. Readership has fallen off a cliff (deservedly so.)

I think back in the 80s and maybe til the mid 90s, GS got more attention in the paper. Not sure exactly when, but every program other that UGA (and a small bit of attention to GT) fell completely off their radar.

That paper has inhale vigorouslyed for a couple decades. From cover to cover. Not exactly a surprise that their sports reporting would be just as pathetic as the rest of their tripe.
    Or the cost of sending writers down to Statesboro got to be not worth the amount of eyeballs they drew in.

Blame your fellow fans for not supporting the paper and demanding that coverage and giving revenue to the AJC for it.

Can't blame them for saving costs.

In the grand scheme though, costs and other easily generated/consumed media has basically killed print newspapers, so I'm not sure what your rage is about right now.

With social media we have zero need for the AJC. I guess jcounty enjoys reading yesterday's news in print.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    With social media we have zero need for the AJC. I guess jcounty enjoys reading yesterday's news in print.
    Yep, with being able to watch, etc. the coverage Big Frank gives us online, absolutely zero need for anything the AJC has to say. Let them hug UGA's nut...

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31