TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Erk HOF!!!

Default Re: Erk HOF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Most movies start with a good book.

Get to work!
    There is already a pretty good book out there.

At this point, the most likely path would be state officials getting involved. If anyone is friends with anyone in the governor's office or state assembly, that might be what it takes.

3. Default Re: Erk HOF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eagle95 View Post
    We are all prejudiced towards Erk and his impact on GS Football. It hurts like H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks that he’s not already in the CFB HOF.

Erk’s life story is stuff of legends not only in the world of college football but in the world of sports in general. I know someone attempted to make a movie about him and I hope, one day, someone will follow through with one.

At the very least, ESPN 30 for 30 could do a fantastic job with telling his story.

From a movie standpoint, everyone loves a great sports movie that inspires and his has to be tailor made for the big screen. Some great actors that could play his part would be ....

Bruce Willis
    Michael Chiklis
    Rex Linn
    Terry O’Quinn
    I actually emailed ESPN about an Erk 30 for 30 a few years ago. They emailed back and said they would push the idea onto the next level of decision makers. Never heard anything after that, but at least they took the time to say something.

He must have been a head coach for a minimum of 10 years

since it says THIS^^^^^^

Erk also served as Head Coach for Auburn Baseball for 2-3 years

so technically, he qualifies because it doesn't specify FB

YES?
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

5. Default Re: Erk HOF!!!

Yep.

Those rules are arbitrary and outdated.

I think we could actually be successful if we bring some more attention to this situation.

Erk is definitely the kind of person that movies should be made about... He would be absolutely perfect for a 30 in 30.

Silence=approval, and obviously we don’t. Let’s go to work!

(Love your sig line, BTW! Gospel truth. No one had any idea how prescient that was.)

6. Default Re: Erk HOF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GSCBBA1987 View Post
    If Barnhart could not get it done. I am not sure that anyone else can.
    Agree. Barnard said off record some years ago there was a behind the scenes effort to get it done. I suppose it either died or is in slow motion.

Lord, several of us local hacks wrote about this for a number of years, particularly right around the time Erk passed. Kind of lost momentum, I reckon. Would be good to see it happen. I may not like FBS or the Sunbelt or much of what I read on gsufans.com anymore, but Erk certainly belongs in the HOF.
    “When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”
    A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Quote Originally Posted by elmothemoose View Post
    I may not like FBS or the Sunbelt or much of what I read on gsufans.com anymore, but Erk certainly belongs in the HOF.
    Cool non sequitur.

8. Default Re: Erk HOF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elmothemoose View Post
    Agree. Barnard said off record some years ago there was a behind the scenes effort to get it done. I suppose it either died or is in slow motion.

Lord, several of us local hacks wrote about this for a number of years, particularly right around the time Erk passed. Kind of lost momentum, I reckon. Would be good to see it happen. I may not like FBS or the Sunbelt or much of what I read on gsufans.com anymore, but Erk certainly belongs in the HOF.
    Truly is disgraceful.

Erk worked miracles to build a program (and school) nearly from scratch.

He should be recognized. That's what American football is supposed to be about....

Pretty much anyone with bad hair and enough arrogance could step into the resources of a big school with limitless $$$$$ and see success, but what Erk did was literally drawn from ground zero. How many other coaches have ever gone from nothing to National Championships in any sport? Ever?

In my view, a college football HOF will never be legitimate until it includes Erk. He was truly one-of-a-kind, and achieved stuff no one ever has before or since.

The HOF is pulling the equivalent of honoring all the Founding Fathers-except Ben Franklin, because he spent too much time in France.

The 10 year rule is just as pointless and irrelevant.

So anyone can walk into Alabama and win? Guess you missed that 10? year period before Saban. What finally got them out of the rut was hiring someone outside the Bear Bryant coaching tree. See Florida under Muschamp. See Michigan under Brady Hoke. Nothing but rosters full of 4/5 star recruits, unlimited recruiting resources, top notch facilities.

If you're talking about any sport at any level, Atlanta started a MLS team from scratch and in the 2nd year won the championship.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"