TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Thread: Live remote classes moving forward

Default Live remote classes moving forward

Default Re: Live remote classes moving forward

That's a good move. Some of the classes I did w/ my MBA @ Mercer back in 2010 were done like this, between our Savannah, Macon & Atlanta cohorts. It saved me from having to drive to those campuses for classes and occasionally the professors from driving as well. They would rotate in person between the campuses to teach so about 1/3rd of the time you had a live teacher.

Would imagine the technology available now is significantly better, but even nearly a decade ago it was pretty good.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

The classes i do on my masters degree now are all Hybrid classes. Teacher in one location teaches that spot in person and two other locations are remote classes that are interactive.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

Sounds like what I did with the GTREP program from the GS campus to either the GT campus in Savannah or Atlanta.

It works pretty well, but for undergrad I did feel a bit disconnected at times.

I’m all for using technology to improve instruction, but the motivation here seems to be saving money on labor costs. Fund building projects and technology, but replace three professors with one professor and two “facilitators” (most likely grad students making a stipend that’s well under $10/hour).

This is more or less how the large lecture classes have been operating for decades, but I thought my field was more resistant to the trend due to the labor-intensive nature of grading essays.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

We did this some in grad school (accounting), but it was pretty rare.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

I also took several courses like this in my masters program, while not ideal I understand the cost savings aspect of it and to be honest it really isn't THAT much different than having the professor in the room with you - you're normally just sitting and staring for an hour anyway - this time it's at a large screen.
    Sean Payne
    Class of 2008 | Graphic Design
    Statesboro, GA

Formerly known as TrueBlueAlum

I seem to recall we started doing this in the late 90's when I was in school for some of the MBA classes It was new back then. I don't have a masters but I had a professor who did this for a masters class.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Pretty late to the party. Bubble Boy was taking classes like this twenty years before today's students were even born.