TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 75

Thread: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

  1. #41

    Default Re: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    IMO losses should be in a different bracket (disgusting on one side, heartbreakers on another side). That would prove interesting.

    Lots of competitive games we came up short in, and at least 10 real stinkers. Could probably field a group of 32 and do another bracket run.
    I considered breaking the bracket into "regions", but couldnt decide on a good grouping that would seem fair to the individual games. For example, if you had regions based on decade, you could potentially have some great games from the 90's eliminate each other even though most people would rank them higher than games from other decades.

    As this thread has shown, our short but storied history has produced a ton of memorable games. I don't know if a field of 64 would do it justice

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    26,126

    Default Re: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

    Quote Originally Posted by BullEagle View Post
    “Top GS football games of all time”?

    Not
    “Top GS football losses of all time”?

    I guess the losses are more memorable to some because they derailed our seasons in most cases, and because for a while they were so few and far between, but the top games were the big wins.
    Some people consider a game we lost to still be a "top game" although we lost. Like to me, personally, the 2008 App game was one of the best games I've ever watched in general, not just Georgia Southern. That was pretty much the perfect college football rivalry game.


  3. #43

    Default Re: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Some people consider a game we lost to still be a "top game" although we lost. Like to me, personally, the 2008 App game was one of the best games I've ever watched in general, not just Georgia Southern. That was pretty much the perfect college football rivalry game.
    I understand your point and don’t disagree that some of our losses were in games that featured great efforts by both teams. Indeed, I would like to think that is what is required to beat GS.

    I just cannot celebrate an opponents’ success as being a “top” game for Georgia Southern when measured against a win. Those were top games for the other team In my humbly expressed opinion.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

    Quote Originally Posted by BullEagle View Post
    I understand your point and don’t disagree that some of our losses were in games that featured great efforts by both teams. Indeed, I would like to think that is what is required to beat GS.

    I just cannot celebrate an opponents’ success as being a “top” game for Georgia Southern when measured against a win. Those were top games for the other team In my humbly expressed opinion.
    THIS. Plus one bazillion.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    26,126

    Default Re: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

    Quote Originally Posted by BullEagle View Post
    I understand your point and don’t disagree that some of our losses were in games that featured great efforts by both teams. Indeed, I would like to think that is what is required to beat GS.

    I just cannot celebrate an opponents’ success as being a “top” game for Georgia Southern when measured against a win. Those were top games for the other team In my humbly expressed opinion.
    I disagree.

    If that's the case, no one should ever talk about 2014 GT and 2015 UGA and 2011 Bama, cause they were losses. You can't talk about the moments in those games as top moments in our history and just disregard the game itself in comparison to other games just because they were losses.

    Yes, it is less than optimal that we lost, but it doesn't mean that it wasn't a great game/performance for us as a team.


  6. #46

    Default Re: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

    Quote Originally Posted by BullEagle View Post
    “Top GS football games of all time”?

    Not
    “Top GS football losses of all time”?

    I guess the losses are more memorable to some because they derailed our seasons in most cases, and because for a while they were so few and far between, but the top games were the big wins.
    Oh I agree .
    The discussion had just turned to that being it's own bracket. And to be fair the title of the thread didn't say top favorite, could be interpreted to include top disasters.

    Then there are the games that we "shoulda woulda coulda", I'd consider those as they did display Southern's "against all odds", "anybody, anytime, anywhere" fire! We showed the world in those games that we came to play to win. Alabama,FSU, overtime with UGA, GT, NC State. In those moments, even though we feel short on the score board, we did a lot to make people take notice of the name GEORGIA SOUTHERN.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    LakeLand & Saint Simons Is.
    Posts
    3,271

    Default Re: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

    [QUOTE=BillyBob;964101]Disgusting Losses:
    1. Troy 1992
    2. The game that shall not be mentioned in 2015
    3. UWG 1994
    4. CCSU 2006
    5. South Dakota State 2009
    6. App State 2012
    7. ETSU 2001
    8. New Hampshire 2017
    9. The Citadel 2003
    10. Furman 2000
    11. WMU 2016

    Heartbreakers:
    1. Furman 2001
    2. WKU 2002
    3. Georgia Tech 2014
    4. UGA 2015
    5. NDSU 2012
    6. NC State 2014
    *****7. Oregon State 1999
    8. Furman 2007
    9. New Hampshire 2004
    10. Georgia State 2017

    BillyBob brought up the OS BEAVERS


    I got to fly to that game. In the 4th the Beaver fans that I posted to on their site came and got me and I sat with them. On of the great tributes to GSU was in the 4th the Beaver fans went quite. **(On our last possession we drove the ball down the field. The 2 beaver fans that sat next to me said to each other - *"I DONT THINK WE CAN STOP THEM" as we hit there 30 yard line. One Beaver fan asked me if PJ would go for 2 if GS scored. I said knowing PJ he would go for the 2 point conversion for the win. BY this time the fans in front of me and behind me started talking to me. *"The Beaver fans around me gave our Coaches, Players and team great compliments. The Beaver fans stated that they had never seen such a great ground attack. When the game was over most of the Beaver fans were quiet but many shook my hand and said what a GREAT team Georgia Southern was!)*
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

  8. #48

    Default Re: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

    A few losses that still sting:

    2003 App State (The "Goal Post" Game)
    2004 Furman
    2004 New Hampshire

    A Great Win:

    2010 Wofford (Playoff Edition/Overtaking Gibbs Stadium)

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    26,126

    Default Re: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

    Quote Originally Posted by GSUEagle08 View Post
    A few losses that still sting:

    2003 App State (The "Goal Post" Game)
    2004 Furman
    2004 New Hampshire

    A Great Win:

    2010 Wofford (Playoff Edition/Overtaking Gibbs Stadium)
    I still think it's funny that Chip Kelly and Tom Herman were the OCs that engineered the offenses that put us out of the playoffs back then. It's amazing to me how much of college football in general has flowed through Statesboro or has come into contact with our team.


  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Decatur, GA
    Posts
    44,651

    Default Re: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I still think it's funny that Chip Kelly and Tom Herman were the OCs that engineered the offenses that put us out of the playoffs back then. It's amazing to me how much of college football in general has flowed through Statesboro or has come into contact with our team.
    The current Philly head coach was a starting QB and played in a regular season game in Paulson. Don't forget that Jim Harbaugh was a consultant or assistant on that WKU staff.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Similar Threads

  1. Hal of Fame Nominations by March 15 2018
    By soccereagle in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 15th August 2018, 08:24 PM
  2. GSUFANS.com Hall-of Fame posting nominations:
    By Eagle22 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30th November 2015, 02:03 PM
  3. Nominations for SMACKOFF Competion
    By ValleyBoy in forum TALON Talk
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 19th December 2014, 01:01 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •