TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

1. Default Re: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

IMO the 2014 GT game would be at the top of this list if the officials hadn’t decided the game for us. That game, had they allowed us the win we deserved, had all the elements... in-State P5, ex-coach, comeback, etc.

Default Re: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

IMO losses should be in a different bracket (disgusting on one side, heartbreakers on another side). That would prove interesting.

Lots of competitive games we came up short in, and at least 10 real stinkers. Could probably field a group of 32 and do another bracket run.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Can’t believe there isn’t more talk about the Camelia bowl.

That was one hell of a game! Werts refused to lose..
    And we must not forget GSUs first FBS bowl game at the 2015 Go Daddy Bowl where GSU in its 2nd year of FBS took on 10-3 Bowling Green from the MAC. HISTORY WAS MADE again that year for GSU with that blow out!

GSU 58 - BG 27
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    IMO the 2014 GT game would be at the top of this list if the officials hadn’t decided the game for us. That game, had they allowed us the win we deserved, had all the elements... in-State P5, ex-coach, comeback, etc.
    The officials were even more egregious in the thUGA game.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Disgusting Losses:
    1. Troy 1992
    2. The game that shall not be mentioned in 2015
    3. UWG 1994
    4. CCSU 2006
    5. South Dakota State 2009
    6. App State 2012
    7. ETSU 2001
    8. New Hampshire 2017
    9. The Citadel 2003
    10. Furman 2000
    11. WMU 2016

Heartbreakers:
    1. Furman 2001
    2. WKU 2002
    3. Georgia Tech 2014
    4. UGA 2015
    5. NDSU 2012
    6. NC State 2014
    7. Oregon State 1999
    8. Furman 2007
    9. New Hampshire 2004
    10. Georgia State 2017

Some remarks here:
    1. Nothing has been able to touch 2001 Furman game as far a heartbreak for me, and hopefully nothing ever will.
    2. 2012 App State goes in disgusting losses because it was a perfect storm of bad game planning, crap kicking game, questionable officiating calls, and an injury to Dominique Swope. It's the one loss to App State I'm still bitter about. Even 2013 really didn't bother me as much because I knew once Jerick McKinnon went down and we couldn't complete a pass downfield we were in deep ****. It is the only time App State has beat us in Statesboro when we weren't on a down year and it likely cost us National Championship #7.
    3. Georgia Tech will always hurt to me worse than UGA or NC State. Of those 3 close Fritz losses to Power 5s IMO it was probably the one we most deserved to win. And having Fritz basically say the ACC commissioner office called to apologize to him made it worse (Fritz never said it publicly, he said it explicitly to someone I know).
    4. WMU 2016 is on there because we went on the road a long ways to play the Access Bowl team and Tyson Summers scored more on them than he did any other FBS team. That game (and you could say Ole Miss and Tech too) are reminders are what was compeltely squandered (not just roster, but schedule).
    5. Texas State 2005 could really go in either category.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 6th June 2019 at 09:33 PM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

6. Default Re: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post

That was an excellent game. I had the perfect angle to see that play you are talking about.

We were robbed.

7. Default Re: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    The officials were even more egregious in the thUGA game.
    Very true.

Scared UGA real good.

Next time, (if there is a next time,) the officials may not be able to save them and their trashy fans!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Disgusting Losses:
    1. Troy 1992
    2. The game that shall not be mentioned in 2015
    3. UWG 1994
    4. CCSU 2006
    5. South Dakota State 2009
    6. App State 2012
    7. ETSU 2001
    8. New Hampshire 2017
    9. The Citadel 2003
    10. Furman 2000
    11. WMU 2016

Heartbreakers:
    1. Furman 2001
    2. WKU 2002
    3. Georgia Tech 2014
    4. UGA 2015
    5. NDSU 2012
    6. NC State 2014
    7. Oregon State 1999
    8. Furman 2007
    9. New Hampshire 2004
    10. Georgia State 2017

Some remarks here:
    1. Nothing has been able to touch 2001 Furman game as far a heartbreak for me, and hopefully nothing ever will.
    2. 2012 App State goes in disgusting losses because it was a perfect storm of bad game planning, crap kicking game, questionable officiating calls, and an injury to Dominique Swope. It's the one loss to App State I'm still bitter about. Even 2013 really didn't bother me as much because I knew once Jerick McKinnon went down and we couldn't complete a pass downfield we were in deep ****. It is the only time App State has beat us in Statesboro when we weren't on a down year and it likely cost us National Championship #7.
    3. Georgia Tech will always hurt to me worse than UGA or NC State. Of those 3 close Fritz losses to Power 5s IMO it was probably the one we most deserved to win. And having Fritz basically say the ACC commissioner office called to apologize to him made it worse (Fritz never said it publicly, he said it explicitly to someone I know).
    4. WMU 2016 is on there because we went on the road a long ways to play the Access Bowl team and Tyson Summers scored more on them than he did any other FBS team. That game (and you could say Ole Miss and Tech too) are reminders are what was compeltely squandered (not just roster, but schedule).
    5. Texas State 2005 could really go in either category.
    As far as disasters go, 2005 was imop the one with the biggest upset to our program.
    It put in motion a departure from our beloved triple option and flexbone. For the first time, we had a stranger, a non family member in Our House running the show. He changed nearly everything he could get away with and spat on our traditions. It removed us from regular appearances atop the polls, and playoffs. In our absence came the rise of the App State dynasty. Set us back years! We were gone so long from the scene that idiots like that jerk from Old Dominion claimed that his team had won as many National championships as we had in the previous decade. Sure his math was wrong and he got beat by us (Thank God the option was back!), but that's the respect we lost and it all trailed back to that 4th quarter comeback by TX State.

And let's not forget the shame of the skull dragging New Hampshire gave us under TS.

“Top GS football games of all time”?

Not
    “Top GS football losses of all time”?

I guess the losses are more memorable to some because they derailed our seasons in most cases, and because for a while they were so few and far between, but the top games were the big wins.

Quote Originally Posted by BullEagle View Post
    “Top GS football games of all time”?

Not
    “Top GS football losses of all time”?

I guess the losses are more memorable to some because they derailed our seasons in most cases, and because for a while they were so few and far between, but the top games were the big wins.
    +1. I prefer to focus on the positive.

Good To Great!