TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Pride

Default Re: Southern Pride

Quote Originally Posted by southern edumacation View Post
    As a non-music major that marched under Dr. Fallin I would not even think about marching now that they do a new show each home game. Way too much work for something that I did just for the fun of it. I'm wondering if SP non-music major membership started going down about the time they switched from 2 shows a year to a new show a game.

Also stop that 5th quarter crap. Let the drumline play on the 50 again after games.

Also get off my lawn.
    And bring back the chorale version of It Is Well.

I have a feeling the lack of consistency at director didn't help matters with membership though.

I will say I was extremely pleased with the band finally playing to the North stands during halftime for the first time since Fallin was in charge I believe (or at least close to it). That was the first time I've really even paid attention to halftime since most of the time it's difficult to hear when they're playing away from us. Playing to that side gets the students engaged as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Oh.

I didnít know that.

My wife is very particular about location.... I didnít know that other seats didnít require a donation at all.

Good to know.

(I have never been able to make much sense out of out ticket website. Doesnít matter much anyhow. We gotta where mama wants to sit!)
    Yea if you're gungho about sticking with your seats, then you're more likely to see cost changes over time. I'm at the 48 in the deck, and I doubt I'll get rid of those seats even if prices go up. I like where I sit so I pay for the ability to sit there.

There are options to get you in the stadium though, which is good.

3. Default Re: Southern Pride

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Yea if you're gungho about sticking with your seats, then you're more likely to see cost changes over time. I'm at the 48 in the deck, and I doubt I'll get rid of those seats even if prices go up. I like where I sit so I pay for the ability to sit there.

There are options to get you in the stadium though, which is good.
    I appreciate the tips!

Maybe I can talk another person or two into buying season tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    And bring back the chorale version of It Is Well.

I have a feeling the lack of consistency at director didn't help matters with membership though.

I will say I was extremely pleased with the band finally playing to the North stands during halftime for the first time since Fallin was in charge I believe (or at least close to it). That was the first time I've really even paid attention to halftime since most of the time it's difficult to hear when they're playing away from us. Playing to that side gets the students engaged as well.
    Yes..bring back the original It Is Well and they are on what...Band Director #3 since Fallin retired?
    Screwing up networks throughout the nation.

5. Default Re: Southern Pride

As a non-music major that marched under Dr. Fallin I would not even think about marching now that they do a new show each home game. Way too much work for something that I did just for the fun of it. I'm wondering if SP non-music major membership started going down about the time they switched from 2 shows a year to a new show a game.

Also stop that 5th quarter crap. Let the drumline play on the 50 again after games.

Also get off my lawn.
    I was a non-music major that marched as well. I remember when we were in the SoCon, we were able to take a small pep band to every away game and then the full band would travel to the P5 game of the year usually. Now, I'm pretty sure they don't travel to away games unless it's Georgia State or a nearby P5 school, or a bowl game.

Also, it's a lot of work to learn a new show for every game, and a lot of the veteran's only stick around for the scholarships. If the amount of funding available for those scholarships decreased, then that could explain the reduction in active participants.

I remember when I started taking my engineering classes, I had to sit down and decide if SPMB was really worth the time and effort. What I ultimately came up with was that it was high effort, low reward.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    I was a non-music major that marched as well. I remember when we were in the SoCon, we were able to take a small pep band to every away game and then the full band would travel to the P5 game of the year usually. Now, I'm pretty sure they don't travel to away games unless it's Georgia State or a nearby P5 school, or a bowl game.

Also, it's a lot of work to learn a new show for every game, and a lot of the veteran's only stick around for the scholarships. If the amount of funding available for those scholarships decreased, then that could explain the reduction in active participants.

I remember when I started taking my engineering classes, I had to sit down and decide if SPMB was really worth the time and effort. What I ultimately came up with was that it was high effort, low reward.
    Granted I was in SP from 01-05 but speaking of high effort, low reward is it still a 1 credit hour course?
    Screwing up networks throughout the nation.

7. Default Re: Southern Pride

Granted I was in SP from 01-05 but speaking of high effort, low reward is it still a 1 credit hour course?
    I believe so. It was when I was there.

Continuity is the most important thing for numbers in band - most students will stay in band for a director that they like, or leave when a new director comes in. The second year of a college marching band director is usually the low tide mark for numbers (that would be 2018 for Dr. Haddad, the current director), so there's no reason for concern.

Basically, the band has experienced the same kind of turnover as the football team, but the future looks good.
    Zach Towery
    Bachelor of Music 2009
    Master of Music 2012
    Reidsville, GA

Quote Originally Posted by spdrumline View Post
    Continuity is the most important thing for numbers in band - most students will stay in band for a director that they like, or leave when a new director comes in. The second year of a college marching band director is usually the low tide mark for numbers (that would be 2018 for Dr. Haddad, the current director), so there's no reason for concern.

Basically, the band has experienced the same kind of turnover as the football team, but the future looks good.
    When we have 25000+ students and a band the size of a high school band Iím going to be concerned. The band depends on non-music majors and we are in a hotbed of prospects go Southern Pride just like we are for football. It was conveyed to me today that there is little to no recruiting as well as little to no budget. Many (or most) high school band students go on to college. They are just not being recruited.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post

I don't remember pep bands going to away games when I was with the team from 08-11, but I may have missed it. I'm pretty sure a small group went for some of the playoffs though.

As far as this year, their schedule says they'll be at LSU & App