TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Southern Pride

1. Default Re: Southern Pride

I think the problems started several years ago when we hired a director who modeled the band's style after Big 10 schools. The color guard wears big goofy boots instead of dance shoes like a normal southern band. There's a ton of marching in blocks instead of doing interesting drill and stands tunes have been almost completely eliminated. Our pregame is especially brutal and not fun to perform at all. You have to march all the way from the RAC to the stadium and then immediately go into another boring block march across the field. In those first few games of the season where it's about 100 degrees at kickoff, the band is dead before they even hit the field for pregame. The worst pregame experience I had was when they fed us a meal from El Sombrero. Eating a plate full of beans then marching for about an hour in a thick wool uniform when it was burning fire hot outside was a disaster. Band really stopped being fun in my final years around 2012 because we were trying to be a stuffy Big 10 band that is technically proficient but excruciatingly boring to watch or participate in. It didn't help that the director back then was a guy who never actually participated in marching band. He was an oboe player from Michigan and hadn't marched a day in his life. Making Southern Pride into a low-energy knockoff of Ohio State was his doing.
    A successful program requires quality coaches. Help us keep ours.
    https://give.gseagles.com/campaign/m...llenge/c170354

Default Re: Southern Pride

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
    I think the problems started several years ago when we hired a director who modeled the band's style after Big 10 schools. The color guard wears big goofy boots instead of dance shoes like a normal southern band. There's a ton of marching in blocks instead of doing interesting drill and stands tunes have been almost completely eliminated. Our pregame is especially brutal and not fun to perform at all. You have to march all the way from the RAC to the stadium and then immediately go into another boring block march across the field. In those first few games of the season where it's about 100 degrees at kickoff, the band is dead before they even hit the field for pregame. The worst pregame experience I had was when they fed us a meal from El Sombrero. Eating a plate full of beans then marching for about an hour in a thick wool uniform when it was burning fire hot outside was a disaster. Band really stopped being fun in my final years around 2012 because we were trying to be a stuffy Big 10 band that is technically proficient but excruciatingly boring to watch or participate in. It didn't help that the director back then was a guy who never actually participated in marching band. He was an oboe player from Michigan and hadn't marched a day in his life. Making Southern Pride into a low-energy knockoff of Ohio State was his doing.
    Sounds about like getting a piano player from Furman.

3. Default Re: Southern Pride

+1 Pregame inhale vigorouslyed. Practicing all morning and then marching in parade block a mile to the stadium and then lining up to perform probably the longest pregame show in college football all back to back to back really took a lot out of me. No wonder the stand tunes afterward were low energy.

Soo I know nothing about the new band director. Is he (or she I don't know) moving things back more traditional marching band or are we still trying to be a smaller version of Ohio St?
    Screwing up networks throughout the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    +1 Pregame inhale vigorouslyed. Practicing all morning and then marching in parade block a mile to the stadium and then lining up to perform probably the longest pregame show in college football all back to back to back really took a lot out of me. No wonder the stand tunes afterward were low energy.
    I always thought you guys were pretty much doing the Bataan Death March between everything before game and then when you used to march back to the RAC as well.

Quote Originally Posted by southern edumacation View Post
    Soo I know nothing about the new band director. Is he (or she I don't know) moving things back more traditional marching band or are we still trying to be a smaller version of Ohio St?
    That I haven't figured out yet but he uses common sense about what they already do so I can forgive the stupid maces, buffalo hats, script eagles, and colorguard boots.
    Lee Jones
    C/O 2012
    B.M. in Music Ed
    Crawford, Ga
    Section 110

OAS AAS LLS

7. Default Re: Southern Pride

Quote Originally Posted by EagleTrump View Post
    That I haven't figured out yet but he uses common sense about what they already do so I can forgive the stupid maces, buffalo hats, script eagles, and colorguard boots.
    Script eagles is the most boring thing I've ever seen in a football stadium.

He was an bassoon player from Georgia (attended Michigan, Columbus, and Valdosta State) who marched alto sax. Making Southern Pride into a low-energy knockoff of Ohio State was his doing.
    FIFY

I'm not a huge fan of some of his decisions but he was a good guy. My biggest criticism was not letting the damn drum majors conduct.
    Lee Jones
    C/O 2012
    B.M. in Music Ed
    Crawford, Ga
    Section 110

OAS AAS LLS

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    Script eagles is the most boring thing I've ever seen in a football stadium.
    As an avid supporter of the band and a band director myself, I simply cannot watch it.
    Lee Jones
    C/O 2012
    B.M. in Music Ed
    Crawford, Ga
    Section 110

OAS AAS LLS

Quote Originally Posted by EagleTrump View Post
    As an avid supporter of the band and a band director myself, I simply cannot watch it.
    You want to see me tune out even harder at halftime? Cause that's how you see it.

Especially now that we have wifi.