TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Pride

Default Re: Southern Pride

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    I was a non-music major that marched as well. I remember when we were in the SoCon, we were able to take a small pep band to every away game and then the full band would travel to the P5 game of the year usually. Now, I'm pretty sure they don't travel to away games unless it's Georgia State or a nearby P5 school, or a bowl game.

Also, it's a lot of work to learn a new show for every game, and a lot of the veteran's only stick around for the scholarships. If the amount of funding available for those scholarships decreased, then that could explain the reduction in active participants.

I remember when I started taking my engineering classes, I had to sit down and decide if SPMB was really worth the time and effort. What I ultimately came up with was that it was high effort, low reward.
    There's no sense in having a new show every week. That's indeed a lot of work for something that (lets face it) most people aren't paying attention to.

I could take a mediocre high school band and do a half time show with the Macerina, YMCA, and Let it Go from Frozen and I can get the crowd more into it than most college bands do.

Band directors need to remember they're at a football game and that they're not the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    There's no sense in having a new show every week. That's indeed a lot of work for something that (lets face it) most people aren't paying attention to.

I could take a mediocre high school band and do a half time show with the Macerina, YMCA, and Let it Go from Frozen and I can get the crowd more into it than most college bands do.

Band directors need to remember they're at a football game and that they're not the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra.
    So which show did you consider ASO-like? British Rock, Childhood Themes, Military Appreciation, or Michael Jackson?

This director gets it. He is bringing back many things that should have never gone away (playing to the North stands) and providing entertaining shows. 3 of mine will be headed down to be a part of the group this summer. The others that have gone before got frustrated with the director before (who was at EMU btw) and left the group. That's where the drop in enrollment is.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleTrump View Post
    So which show did you consider ASO-like? British Rock, Childhood Themes, Military Appreciation, or Michael Jackson?

This director gets it. He is bringing back many things that should have never gone away (playing to the North stands) and providing entertaining shows. 3 of mine will be headed down to be a part of the group this summer. The others that have gone before got frustrated with the director before (who was at EMU btw) and left the group. That's where the drop in enrollment is.
    I've always said we should model ourselves after the big band programs you see in the SEC. They are actually one of my favorite parts of going to these SEC matchups. They're just consistently good every year. Also the amount of crowd/student involvement they get makes me jealous.

Anyone who has never been to an LSU game needs to take in everything their band does, especially pregame when they RUN down Victory Hill to enter the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I've always said we should model ourselves after the big band programs you see in the SEC. They are actually one of my favorite parts of going to these SEC matchups. They're just consistently good every year. Also the amount of crowd/student involvement they get makes me jealous.

Anyone who has never been to an LSU game needs to take in everything their band does, especially pregame when they RUN down Victory Hill to enter the stadium.
    And get away from this Ohio State bullcrap.

As a four year member of the Dline from '04 (totally crushed UGA that year) to '08, i'll throw out my 2 cents. My philosophy on what a college band is intended to do is 1. Entertain, 2. Be as technically proficient as possible. Most of my time on the line, it was run like a drum corps rather than a college drumline. We tried to ram as many notes into the show as possible and didn't focus as much on the crowd entertainment.

If I was king for the day, I would have kept the show book rather simple and cookie cutter as most in the stands can't hear and/or won't appreciate the difficulty of that sweet Pataflafla into a flam paradiddle-diddle. That would also make it easier to do multiple shows over the season and I would have spent the extra time not working on show music on a building a repitoire of cadences to play on the 50. Knowing members that played on some of those SEC/ACC lines, that seemed to be their model as well.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleTrump View Post
    And get away from this Ohio State bullcrap.
    Yes
    Screwing up networks throughout the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEagle27 View Post
    As a four year member of the Dline from '04 (totally crushed UGA that year) to '08, i'll throw out my 2 cents. My philosophy on what a college band is intended to do is 1. Entertain, 2. Be as technically proficient as possible. Most of my time on the line, it was run like a drum corps rather than a college drumline. We tried to ram as many notes into the show as possible and didn't focus as much on the crowd entertainment.
    What you didn't like doing the 8 block for hours on end? I will say part of the reason we crushed UGA's line in '04 was because of that focus on being closer to a drum corp. I still have that video when we arc'd it up w/ their line on an old hard drive somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by southern edumacation View Post
    What you didn't like doing the 8 block for hours on end? I will say part of the reason we crushed UGA's line in '04 was because of that focus on being closer to a drum corp. I still have that video when we arc'd it up w/ their line on an old hard drive somewhere.
    Won't argue on focus, I just wish that focus would have been directed in a different path. Instead of focusing on the show book, which when taken out of the show and performed in the arc, to me loses some context. At least to the non DCI crowd. I would have liked to have focused more on some dline specific material that could have potentially showcased the talent we had that year. Like that sweet bass run in gran marf tarkin sp?

If you come across that file, I'd love a copy. I had a vhs at one point that has since been misplaced.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEagle27 View Post
    I would have liked to have focused more on some dline specific material that could have potentially showcased the talent we had that year. Like that sweet bass run in gran marf tarkin sp?

If you come across that file, I'd love a copy. I had a vhs at one point that has since been misplaced.
    You're welcome.

I'll look for that video. It's an old WMV file that I edited together.

10. Default Re: Southern Pride

Basically, our band models themselves after drum corps like these:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5axJ4NLH_Xw

The only problem is learning a new, intricate show every week is very difficult and it's often going to go unappreciated by the crowd.

Meanwhile, Troy and Jacksonville State are renowned bands that march the same style we do, but only do 1 or 2 shows a year.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd_eiZGwTdU

It's a quantity vs quality debate. We either need to do 6 simple shows with songs people recognize or 1 to 2 big shows with complex drill and music. We're trying to have the best of both worlds.

As far as crowd involvement and being SEC-like, that's entirely up to the crowd to participate. 80% of our fan base doesn't know the words to the alma mater or the fight song, and that's on them. The band does plenty of fanfare and rah-rah, they play songs and cadences in the stands to get the crowd involved. It's up to the fans to care enough to join the band in creating an atmosphere. SEC schools have good atmospheres because their fans actually care enough to learn the chants and traditions.

One thing that SEC bands do that I wish we would start is I want the band at the stadium before the game and before the team arrives. SEC bands throw pep rallies in front of the stadium and split up into small groups to walk through the tailgating lots and perform before going back and playing for the "______ walk" when the team arrives at the stadium. That adds to the whole game day fan fare.

When I did SPMB, we practiced all day on Saturday until about 45 minutes before the game, then marched from the RAC to the stadium and lined up to immediately go on the field to do pregame. Everyone was exhausted before kickoff.