TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 67

Thread: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    28,874

    Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Thread title is incorrect....

    Should read:

    ’NCAA considers new ways to get at more money for itself.’

    This ain’t about the players at all. It’s about a way to figure out how the NCAA can get its maximum cut.... I bet those crooks will get some kind of commission for acting as agents for the players in some fashion.

    The players are about to get paid and it’s not about them at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

  2. #22

    Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

    About ****ing time. The kids have been taken advantage of enough.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Evans, GA
    Posts
    17,668

    Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

    Maybe I feel taken advantage of because GSU actually made me pay for my own education since I couldn't run a 4.4.

    Seriously, I wonder how many would actually say they were taken advantage of? My guess is very few outside of a handful of 5 star prima dona's every year.

  4. Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    The players are about to get paid and it’s not about them at all?
    Yeah.

    The NCAA doesn’t crack a fart if there’s no money in it. They will get some kind of kickback or commission. You can’t be well sure of that.

    It probably won’t be obvious, but they will get something good. Probably a huge royalty for using their trademarks and those of their conferences.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    28,874

    Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Yeah.

    The NCAA doesn’t crack a fart if there’s no money in it. They will get some kind of kickback or commission. You can’t be well sure of that.

    It probably won’t be obvious, but they will get something good. Probably a huge royalty for using their trademarks and those of their conferences.

    The NCAA organization or its member schools?
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

  6. Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    Maybe I feel taken advantage of because GSU actually made me pay for my own education since I couldn't run a 4.4.

    Seriously, I wonder how many would actually say they were taken advantage of? My guess is very few outside of a handful of 5 star prima dona's every year.

    The Army GI bill along with summer jobs painting houses, mowing lawns and delivering furniture paid for my school, and I don't begrudge these kids a dime if they can get it. If it somehow taints your notion of pure amateur athletics or if you think the opportunity for a college degree is a fair trade for what they do, I won't argue.

    But schools (except for our level) are earning millions off their sweat and talent. Coaches are earning six and seven figure contracts off what these kids do on the field.
    “When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”
    A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Evans, GA
    Posts
    17,668

    Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

    Quote Originally Posted by elmothemoose View Post
    The Army GI bill along with summer jobs painting houses, mowing lawns and delivering furniture paid for my school, and I don't begrudge these kids a dime if they can get it. If it somehow taints your notion of pure amateur athletics or if you think the opportunity for a college degree is a fair trade for what they do, I won't argue.

    But schools (except for our level) are earning millions off their sweat and talent. Coaches are earning six and seven figure contracts off what these kids do on the field.
    Yes, that is my argument. It's the deal everyone signs up for. Nobody is forced into servitude. Anyone who doesn't like the rules is welcome to choose a different life path.

    A lot of companies make millions off the "sweat and talent" of others too. You know what that does? It makes some people strive to be the CEO of the company. Others sit around and whine about not getting their fair share. I have seen many of both types of people and I can tell you which ones typically find happiness in life.

  8. #28

    Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Scholarships are a 1 year deal still right? Unless that’s changed the it would be immediate.
    You could probably get away with immediate, but to stay away from a "changing the deal" potential additional law suit was what I was shooting for. If that had been started when this first hit, we'd be almost done with the process. It could be a non issue by now.

    I hear a lot of people on here supporting this pay fo the players and it is very concerning.
    While it may sound like a good idea at first,
    THIS has the potential to be VERY VERY BAD for Georgia Southern Football and the entire G5.

    The amount of money they could make is going to be greatly impacted by how big their stage of stardom is. The cover pic guys on a game could get tons of $. That's going to be p5 players. How would you stop them from doing commercials for a booster's company?
    This could easily open the flood Gates for straight up paying players to come to particular schools. They won't need to tie up scholarships, they can just get a kid a "job"even with no intention to play him just to keep them off other rosters. Unless all money taken in was put into a fund and divided evenly among all NCAA players (and I don't support socialism), you are going to see major unfair market advantages by the power 5. The gap between us and them will only widen if this passes.

  9. #29

    Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

    I wish there was a way to force the NFL to create a farm system like MLB. All the 5 stars and many others would be off the table and more parity would exist. G5 schools will field teams from time to time that challenge the Top 10 and their coach will be poached soon after.
    Schools like GS are challenged with educating its immediate market about the existence of themselves while media conglomerates discuss the same 30 schools for hours on TV, radio, print, and internet.
    The NFL gets players developed and many state taxpayers subsidize the process.
    I've liked GS football for years because it's TRUE college football. Most of the players are at the end of their football careers.
    It's OK that G5 and FCS exist. It's still fun. Keeping up with the Rockefellers is a fantasy.
    Last edited by The_Eagles_Cliff; 20th May 2019 at 11:44 AM.

  10. #30

    Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    I wish there was a way to force the NFL to create a farm system like MLB. All the 5 stars and many others would be off the table and more parity would exist. G5 schools will field teams from time to time that challenge the Top 10 and their coach will be poached soon after.
    Schools like GS are challenged with educating its immediate market about the existence of themselves while media conglomerates discuss the same 30 schools for hours on TV, radio, print, and internet.
    The NFL gets players developed and many state taxpayers subsidize the process.
    I've liked GS football for years because it's TRUE college football. Most of the players are at the end of their football careers.
    It's OK that G5 and FCS exist. It's still fun. Keeping up with the Rockefellers is a fantasy.
    I don’t see how any school not in a P5 conference or Notre Dame could afford this. How does even a school like Wake Forest afford this? Maybe the conference adopts some sort of revenue sharing paid to each school to split among the players?

Similar Threads

  1. Question for Georgia Southern NCAA '14 (XBox360) Fans & Players
    By GaStPanthers in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th September 2013, 09:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •