TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Article on recruiting Option QBs

Default Re: Interesting Article on recruiting Option QBs

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Oh I don't disagree. I'd just hope we end up more with guys in the Ellison/Werts mold pushing for snaps and put guys like McKinnon in other spots where they can contribute a lot as well.

Also Foster was a better passer than McKinnon. Jerick was an athletic freak but that didn't translate into the passing game that much.
    Yep. Foster was a surprisingly decent passer for his size and pop-gun arm strength.

I’ve always wondered whether Jerick’s upper-body work in the weight room limited his throwing ability.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Let them play QB for a year if we can. That’s what redshirts are for, right?

I understand the thought process I just don’t think it’s feasible. Say you sign 3 a year and keep 1 at QB for 3 of the 4 classes between RFr and Seniors. Add in the 3 true freshmen and that’s 6 scholarship QB’s on the roster at all times. That’s just too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I understand the thought process I just don’t think it’s feasible. Say you sign 3 a year and keep 1 at QB for 3 of the 4 classes between RFr and Seniors. Add in the 3 true freshmen and that’s 6 scholarship QB’s on the roster at all times. That’s just too many.
    The article I posted was from 2014, but it did have an interesting view on picking an option QB
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

I remember back when GSC/GSU signed 5 QBs from high school. I don't think they were promised the QB position but could try out for it. As I remember several of them became defensive backs. Do you remember the HC that offered them? I think it was PJ.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    TALON, here is some film of former Eagle RB Andrew Cunningham’s HS QB:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4208521...226b0dc8684caf

https://247sports.com/Player/Jaylin-...school-185609/

I don’t know why we didn’t offer him, but he walked on at UF and apparently is pushing for snaps at slot receiver.

IMO, we should sign three or four guys like this every year. I don’t care if they’re 5’7” like Jaylin Jackson or 6’3” like Jaden Jenkins. I just mean dominating playmakers who took snaps in HS. Bring ‘em in and keep the best passers/game managers at QB.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    I remember back when GSC/GSU signed 5 QBs from high school. I don't think they were promised the QB position but could try out for it. As I remember several of them became defensive backs. Do you remember the HC that offered them? I think it was PJ.
    Sewak signed at least five in 2003. Jayson Foster was the last man standing.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    We have a history of recruiting athletes that played QB in high school, giving them a shot, and moving them. Some work out. Ryan Haddon and L.A. Ramsby come to mind, and I'm sure there are others. Some, like McConnell, can't find a proper slot. Some choose to transfer quickly like Prince did. One even moved to another sport. (I must admit that neither McConnell nor Seth were run first true option quarterbacks).
    Last edited by tailgating fool; 12th May 2019 at 06:32 PM.

We should always sign a bare minimum of 3 option QBs a season. If they don’t work out, we’ve got athletes such as Matt Dobson, LA Ramsby, Ryan Haddon, etc to fill out a roster.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by tailgating fool View Post
    We have a history of recruiting athletes that played QB in high school, giving them a shot, and moving them. Some work out. Ryan Haddon and L.A. Ramsby come to mind, and I'm sure there are others. Some, like McConnell, can't find a proper slot. Some choose to transfer quickly like Prince did. One even moved to another sport. (I must admit that neither McConnell nor Seth were run first true option quarterbacks).

I’m not saying never do it. There are certainly times to do it. 2012 comes to mind when we were thing at QB and knew that Dobson would never take a meaningful snap at QB but we had the room to put him there for a year before moving him. So without a doubt sign 3 that year. But you can’t do it year in and year out. In theory it’s a great idea but the numbers just don’t work out. You can’t have 6+ QB’s on scholarship at all times.

And it’s becoming tougher and tougher to recruit like that because high school offenses are going further and further away from playing their most athletic player at QB. Positions are becoming much more “specialized”. I saw it this past year at the high school I went to. For the previous 3 years the most athletic kid on the team had started at QB and ran the option. New coach came in and moved him to RB for his senior year, which was his best position. And for as long as this coach is there a kid like that won’t be at QB. This is happening more and more and every time it does that’s one less of those athletes at QB for option teams to recruit.
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

It sounds nice in theory, but all of these guys we are talking about were recruited to play FCS football. Now that we are playing FBS football the likelihood of guys getting recruited at QB that are willing to move positions is going to be slimmer, IMO. Especially with the way the transfer portal has opened up.
    Sean Payne
    Class of 2008 | Graphic Design
    Statesboro, GA

Formerly known as TrueBlueAlum

Quote Originally Posted by ToastyGS View Post
    It sounds nice in theory, but all of these guys we are talking about were recruited to play FCS football. Now that we are playing FBS football the likelihood of guys getting recruited at QB that are willing to move positions is going to be slimmer, IMO. Especially with the way the transfer portal has opened up.

I don’t think that’s really too much of a problem. Let’s be honest, if they can’t play QB at Ga Southern then they aren’t playing QB anywhere at the FBS level. But what does come into play now vs the past is the difference in the flexbone vs shotgun and APR. speak ans PJ could recruit 5 QB’s a year and of 3-4 of them left the team then no big deal. They didn’t have to worry about it (or in Seeak’s case he didn’t realize he had to worry about it) affecting anything. Then there’s the ability to change position. There’s a lot more places to stash the ones who do stay when you need 4-6 A-backs ready to play every game + 2 B-backs.

There’s just several things that go into it that make it a lot more different now than what PJ and Sewak were doing in the late 90’s/early-mid 2000’s.