TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Article on recruiting Option QBs

Default Interesting Article on recruiting Option QBs

Interesting Article on recruiting a Triple Option QBs from 247 Sports

"To me, the inability to recruit a dominant quarterback is irrelevant because as one assistant put it to me: “you’re recruiting from a whole different pool of quarterbacks” when you’re recruiting to a triple-option-based offense. And no, I don’t even mean the dual-threat quarterbacks like the Marcus Mariotas, Braxton Millers or Johnny Manziels of the world. I mean the absurd athlete, who plays quarterback for his high school team, and who wants to have the ball in his hands, but isn’t being offered a chance to play quarterback at the next level."

https://247sports.com/Article/Proble...tion-31048200/
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Default Re: Interesting Article on recruiting Option QBs

Article - Triple Option football alive & well in Highschool"

https://flexboneassociationacademy.c...hool-football/
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    Interesting Article on recruiting a Triple Option QBs from 247 Sports

"To me, the inability to recruit a dominant quarterback is irrelevant because as one assistant put it to me: “you’re recruiting from a whole different pool of quarterbacks” when you’re recruiting to a triple-option-based offense. And no, I don’t even mean the dual-threat quarterbacks like the Marcus Mariotas, Braxton Millers or Johnny Manziels of the world. I mean the absurd athlete, who plays quarterback for his high school team, and who wants to have the ball in his hands, but isn’t being offered a chance to play quarterback at the next level."

https://247sports.com/Article/Proble...tion-31048200/
    Old article, but I think this is a better quote:

“All of a sudden, you couldn’t get the dominant quarterback because you weren’t going to throw the football and get him ready for the NFL,” Holtz said. “You couldn’t get the dominant left tackle, because you weren’t going to teach him to pass-block. You couldn’t get the dominant running back, because he wasn’t going to be featured enough.

“Now, you can still win with the option even if you don’t get those people, but if you’re not getting those top recruits, the alumni start to think you’re losing and you’re not exciting enough,” Holtz said.
    That's the problem at other schools. We embrace it though, so those points are moot here.

There's something to be said later on about the kids playing QB in high school that are the best athletes on their team that want to keep playing QB....well that's kinda where we've made our bones in the past.

I'd like to see us go more in the direction of players like Ellison and Werts for QB though, and not McKinnon. I want a bunch of McKinnons on the team....but he was really just a running back that took the snap every play.

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    Article - Triple Option football alive & well in Highschool"

https://flexboneassociationacademy.c...hool-football/
    You should get on Twitter.

Dr Lou Cella
    3phasefootball
    Pistol Triple Option
    Spread Offense

Those are just some of the ones you'd be entertained by. They do play breakdowns a lot. Saw several of our plays from this year on some of those accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I'd like to see us go more in the direction of players like Ellison and Werts for QB though, and not McKinnon. I want a bunch of McKinnons on the team....but he was really just a running back that took the snap every play.
    Well, you sign as many as you can. In the 2010 class, we signed McKinnon, Youyoute, and Suber (?). In 2011, we signed McJunkins.

By 2012, McKinnon easily gave us our best chance to win, so I won’t complain about playing him. Maybe we could have played Ellison some in 2012, but I don’t think anyone anticipated Youyoute’s struggles and his injuries that season. He pretty much busted.

But I’d sign 100 Jayson Fosters or Jerick McKinnons with no worries whatsoever. My motto is “sign the most explosive QBs we can find, regardless of height. Play the one who gives us the best chance of winning.”
    Last edited by pete4256; 12th May 2019 at 10:48 AM.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

6. Default Re: Interesting Article on recruiting Option QBs

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Old article, but I think this is a better quote:

That's the problem at other schools. We embrace it though, so those points are moot here.

There's something to be said later on about the kids playing QB in high school that are the best athletes on their team that want to keep playing QB....well that's kinda where we've made our bones in the past.

Excellent Holtz quote!

That’s exactly why Most GT fans are going to miss PJ.

Well. Maybe they won’t.

They will probably just return to the comfortable lower level of mediocrity where they came from. It’s where they are comfortable. It’s like an old threadbare sweater.

Damn. I wish we played them this year or any of the next five.

TALON, here is some film of former Eagle RB Andrew Cunningham’s HS QB:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4208521...226b0dc8684caf

https://247sports.com/Player/Jaylin-...school-185609/

I don’t know why we didn’t offer him, but he walked on at UF and apparently is pushing for snaps at slot receiver.

IMO, we should sign three or four guys like this every year. I don’t care if they’re 5’7” like Jaylin Jackson or 6’3” like Jaden Jenkins. I just mean dominating playmakers who took snaps in HS. Bring ‘em in and keep the best passers/game managers at QB.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Well, you sign as many as you can. In the 2010 class, we signed McKinnon, Youyoute, and Suber (?). In 2011, we signed McJunkins.

By 2012, McKinnon easily gave us our best chance to win, so I won’t complain about playing him. Maybe we could have played Ellison some in 2012, but I don’t think anyone anticipated Youyoute’s struggles and his injuries that season. He pretty much busted.

But I’d sign 100 Jayson Fosters or Jerick McKinnons with no worries whatsoever. My motto is “sign the most explosive QBs we can find, regardless of height. Play the one who gives us the best chance of winning.”
    Oh I don't disagree. I'd just hope we end up more with guys in the Ellison/Werts mold pushing for snaps and put guys like McKinnon in other spots where they can contribute a lot as well.

Also Foster was a better passer than McKinnon. Jerick was an athletic freak but that didn't translate into the passing game that much.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    TALON, here is some film of former Eagle RB Andrew Cunningham’s HS QB:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4208521...226b0dc8684caf

https://247sports.com/Player/Jaylin-...school-185609/

I don’t know why we didn’t offer him, but he walked on at UF and apparently is pushing for snaps at slot receiver.

IMO, we should sign three or four guys like this every year. I don’t care if they’re 5’7” like Jaylin Jackson or 6’3” like Jaden Jenkins. I just mean dominating playmakers who took snaps in HS. Bring ‘em in and keep the best passers/game managers at QB.

Are you saying play them all at QB right away or just sign guys like this but go ahead and start them off at other positions?
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Are you saying play them all at QB right away or just sign guys like this but go ahead and start them off at other positions?
    Let them play QB until the writing is on the wall. That’s what redshirts are for, right?

I don’t believe in lying to recruits. That hurts in the long run.
    Thanks, Rastabot!