TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A question about a QB like this running the Pistol Option at GSU

Default Re: A question about a QB like this running the Pistol Option at GSU

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Eagle View Post
    That’s exactly what I was getting at... Taylor Heineke or Stetson Bennett or Seth Shuman... a qb with enough quick to be dangerous and an arm to boot.
    I surly can go with those guys.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    find wide outs who consistently cause separation and watch the passing game improve.
    Good Point.

I’m not arguing that point. I know that is why we look for who we do, and those particular option skill sets. Ever since the Stowers days when I was in school, I know the philosophy was “if you can run, then we can teach you the pass”. We’ve tried bringing a few dual-threat qb’s as experiments with very limited results. And I know it takes repetition for the option to work fully. I just want to see us start to move the meter some and pick up business a little. I know Tracy Ham is a legend for a reason, but I’d love to see that type of balance come back home.

My real preference is a dual threat qb, with a passing background but has experience running the option. I know “pipe dreams”...
    The idea in my original post was that this QB was not being offered a chance at most schools. He is a pocket passer. I stated - could a QB like this be thought the option if he were red shirt and then spend the next year refining his option skills. I'm not talking about changing our option team into a full out passing team. I'm still talking about 8-15 pass plays per game with a high percentage of completions and yards after the catch. As you know there have been times in the past when our option game struggled. Having a QB that could pass would back the defense off to let our option running game do its thing.

*** If this guy doesn't fit the bill then so be it. I have no idea if he could become a hybrid option QB like Tracy Ham was. I just threw it out there as a thought.

Chris Eagle
    That’s exactly what I was getting at... Taylor Heineke or Stetson Bennett or Seth Shuman... a qb with enough quick to be dangerous and an arm to boot.

I just saw somewhere that the QB mentioned in the OP of this thread was 5'8 - 125 lbs as a senior. Maybe THATS why he's not getting any serious looks. And no he wouldn't work in our offense, cause he would die. If he were 5'8 - 175 it would be a different story.
    Sean Payne
    Class of 2008 | Graphic Design
    Statesboro, GA

Formerly known as TrueBlueAlum

If the question is "Could GS use a 5'-8" 160lb QB who rushed for 10ypg as a senior and has zero college offers?" then the answer is NO.

Quote Originally Posted by ToastyGS View Post
    I just saw somewhere that the QB mentioned in the OP of this thread was 5'8 - 125 lbs as a senior. Maybe THATS why he's not getting any serious looks. And no he wouldn't work in our offense, cause he would die. If he were 5'8 - 175 it would be a different story.
    5'8? I thought I read in an article that he was 5'9 and 130lb. I also thought after a red shirt and freshmen year he could make 150lbs..

I read he is looking at NAIA, D2 and D3 teams. I wish the best for him.

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    If the question is "Could GS use a 5'-8" 160lb QB who rushed for 10ypg as a senior and has zero college offers?" then the answer is NO.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    5'8? I thought I read in an article that he was 5'9 and 130lb. I also thought after a red shirt and freshmen year he could make 150lbs..

I read he is looking at NAIA, D2 and D3 teams. I wish the best for him.
    I think I read ~5’6” 130 lbs as a Sophomore and 5’9” 160 as a Senior. But, looking at his pic, he doesn’t look like a runner.

I agree with premise though and I’be been thinking the same. I think our offense can stand an infusion of arm-talent and a slight loss in running ability. I think they the two things can balance.

I think I read ~5’6” 130 lbs as a Sophomore and 5’9” 160 as a Senior. But, looking at his pic, he doesn’t look like a runner.

I agree with premise though and I’be been thinking the same. I think our offense can stand an infusion of arm-talent and a slight loss in running ability. I think they the two things can balance.
    In an option offense the QB has to be quick and if he keeps has to hit the hole in the LOS quickly, accelerate and run like hell. You cant sacrifice his running capabilities in an option offense. I just wanted an option QB that could pass 8-12 times, maybe 15 times with a high percentage of catches and yards after catch to make the opponents defense open up and let GSUs ground attack could run 360 - 400 yards per game

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    In an option offense the QB has to be quick and if he keeps has to hit the hole in the LOS quickly, accelerate and run like hell. You cant sacrifice his running capabilities in an option offense. I just wanted an option QB that could pass 8-12 times, maybe 15 times with a high percentage of catches and yards after catch to make the opponents defense open up and let GSUs ground attack could run 360 - 400 yards per game
    Every. Single. Game.