TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A question about a QB like this running the Pistol Option at GSU

Default Re: A question about a QB like this running the Pistol Option at GSU

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    Not saying that philosophy is wrong, but to at least play devils advocate, the downfall of doing that is that we run the option on 85-90% of our plays. So if you sacrifice 90% of your opportunities to be successful so that you can be successful on 10-15% of the plays, that is poor planning on the coaches part. Running the option correctly and at a high competitive level isn't something that is very easy to learn. We've had natural option QB's that have struggled with looking proficient in it.
    Good points.

However, I would definitely take a QB like Seth Shuman or his Grace Stetson Bennett IV of Blackshear (QBs who are just quick enough to execute our basic option plays) as part of a two-QB system in which the majority of snaps went to an option QB like we’ve had in the past.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Good points.

However, I would definitely take a QB like Seth Shuman or his Grace Stetson Bennett IV of Blackshear (QBs who are just quick enough to execute our basic option plays) as part of a two-QB system in which the majority of snaps went to an option QB like we’ve had in the past.
    That’s exactly what I was getting at... Taylor Heineke or Stetson Bennett or Seth Shuman... a qb with enough quick to be dangerous and an arm to boot.

So that would essentially be a complementary piece to a true running QB, or that person would be QB1 at all times?

I’d play whoever’s better more often, while trying to keep both active and prepared.

If a defense tried to force the QB to run 30+ times (2011 NDSU), then I wouldn’t have Jaybo out there, you know?

If a defense had crappy DBs and was selling out to stop the run, I wouldn’t have McKinnon out there every play.

That said, I generally hate two-QB systems. They’re unnatural!
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Or, you know, we could just bring in more QBs like Werts.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Or, you know, we could just bring in more QBs like Werts.
    IKR.... He is in that vein. I just want to see us leverage his passing skill set a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Eagle View Post
    IKR.... He is in that vein. I just want to see us leverage his passing skill set a bit more.
    find wide outs who consistently cause separation and watch the passing game improve.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    find wide outs who consistently cause separation and watch the passing game improve.
    I agree, but the issue is you need to pass the rock around a smidge more to be able to attract and keep those WR’s.

9. Default Re: A question about a QB like this running the Pistol Option at GSU

We really could throw PA passes all day long. Teams sell out for the run so often it's like stealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    We really could throw PA passes all day long. Teams sell out for the run so often it's like stealing.
    Or do what we did against the Citadel in 2015. They were stacking the box and so we threw like 7 straight out routes to Longoria for a few first downs - they loosened up and then shortly thereafter our running game scored 31 unanswered points.
    Sean Payne
    Class of 2008 | Graphic Design
    Statesboro, GA

Formerly known as TrueBlueAlum