TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: More Transfer Portal fun.....

Default Re: More Transfer Portal fun.....

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    I said the same earlier. Why would the NFL spend good money to have it's own developmental league when the NCAA does it for them for free?
    I get that (although if the NFL did have a minor league they could stop complaining that college offenses make it harder to scout players at certain positions).

All I'm saying is that the answer to the problem is not for the NCAA to basically forfeit their tax-exempt status and basically ruin college athletics for the benefit of the less than 1% of DI athletes that can play professionally. The same people who complain about how oppressed kids on full athletic scholarships are will be the ones that whine that men's soccer and women's lacrosse players are losing their scholarships to help support campus minor league teams. There's certainly good reasons to dislike the NCAA, but they have zero responsibility to deal with this issue.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I get that (although if the NFL did have a minor league they could stop complaining that college offenses make it harder to scout players at certain positions).

All I'm saying is that the answer to the problem is not for the NCAA to basically forfeit their tax-exempt status and basically ruin college athletics for the benefit of the less than 1% of DI athletes that can play professionally. The same people who complain about how oppressed kids on full athletic scholarships are will be the ones that whine that men's soccer and women's lacrosse players are losing their scholarships to help support campus minor league teams. There's certainly good reasons to dislike the NCAA, but they have zero responsibility to deal with this issue.
    Unfortunately that's the way of the world these days. There's always someone being wronged that needs to be righted.

3. Default Re: More Transfer Portal fun.....

If I'm a 5 star prospect coming out of HS, I have no desire to waste 3 years of my prime playing "amateur" football for a scholarship I don't care about so some corporate fat cats can get rich.

Jadeveon Clowney had already destroyed his knee by the time he ever got a chance to play pro football.

Marcus Lattimore as well. It's nonsense.

The 5 star type athletes are the only ones that would get drafted out of HS anyway (like 30 kids a year). 99% of D1 prospects would still end up going to college.
    Last edited by Buzz Killington; 8th May 2019 at 06:08 AM.

What would be really cool about all this transfer stuff is if it eventually led to guys coming out of high school actually looking into teams and realizing that maybe the recruiter from the big school is blowing smoke about their prospects for playing time, and that they'd be better off taking the smaller school offer instead of taking a walk on, gray shirt, or other offer to be a fourth string in case of emergency break open glass pine riding scout teamer. OK, for real maybe I only care that it would be better for GS but still.....

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    If I'm a 5 star prospect coming out of HS, I have no desire to waste 3 years of my prime playing "amateur" football for a scholarship I don't care about so some corporate fat cats can get rich.

Jadeveon Clowney had already destroyed his knee by the time he ever got a chance to play pro football.

Marcus Lattimore as well. It's nonsense.

The 5 star type athletes are the only ones that would get drafted out of HS anyway (like 30 kids a year). 99% of D1 prospects would still end up going to college.
    I think you are missing how big of a jump it is from HS to college and then from college to the NFL. I'm not sure there has ever been an athlete who could do that all at once - Clowney included. Most rookies in the NFL take a year or two to get use to the speed and thats after 3 years of (usually) top tier college football. Even if the NFL allowed teams to draft HS players my guess is maybe 1 or 2 a year would be taken and then would sit the bench for a couple of years while they physically mature.

6. Default Re: More Transfer Portal fun.....

Quote Originally Posted by GSU2011fan View Post
    I think you are missing how big of a jump it is from HS to college and then from college to the NFL. I'm not sure there has ever been an athlete who could do that all at once - Clowney included. Most rookies in the NFL take a year or two to get use to the speed and thats after 3 years of (usually) top tier college football. Even if the NFL allowed teams to draft HS players my guess is maybe 1 or 2 a year would be taken and then would sit the bench for a couple of years while they physically mature.
    Nah, I think I understand the jump...and so do the NFL teams drafting these kids... which is exactly why you don't need the 21 year old age restriction.

Teams aren't going to draft kids that they don't think can contribute.

And the "jump" from MAJOR college ball to the NFL is way overblown. If you're playing in the SEC, you're already playing elite level football.

Look at the size and speed of most SEC starters...

Now that jump from HS ball to FBS ball is huge no doubt.
    Last edited by Buzz Killington; 8th May 2019 at 03:58 PM.

So the equation is:
    (HS->NFL jump) < (HS->FBS jump)

I don't understand it, but I stopped after Cal II.

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    So the equation is:
    (HS->NFL jump) < (HS->FBS jump)

I don't understand it, but I stopped after Cal II.
    No one is saying that. Just that the jump from high school to major FBS is much larger than the jump from major FBS to the NFL. If you can play in the SEC as an 18-year-old I don't think it's a stretch you can play in the NFL. At least at most positions, with exceptions not being due to physical maturity as much as playing in simplistic high school offenses and defenses.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    No one is saying that. Just that the jump from high school to major FBS is much larger than the jump from major FBS to the NFL. If you can play in the SEC as an 18-year-old I don't think it's a stretch you can play in the NFL. At least at most positions, with exceptions not being due to physical maturity as much as playing in simplistic high school offenses and defenses.
    Tongue in cheek. You got a guy saying in the same breath that they should allow players to go straight from high school to NFL, but that the jump from high school to FBS is huge. And I'm not sure but maybe the same guy who said the best FBS team would get killed by the worst NFL team but maybe I'm getting people mixed up on that one. EDIT I'm wrong on that last part, his alter ego said that.

[QUOTE=yourmother;960721]And I'm not sure but maybe the same guy who said the best FBS team would get killed by the worst NFL team but maybe I'm getting people mixed up on that one.[/QUOTE