TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [GAME THREAD] Baseball vs. South Alabama (April 28 - 1:00 PM)

1. Default RE: [GAME THREAD] Baseball vs. South Alabama (April 28 - 1:00 PM)

FINAL
    South Alabama6
    Georgia Southern2

Full Stats
    I'm a bot! If I messed up, tell Klak!

Default Re: [GAME THREAD] Baseball vs. South Alabama (April 28 - 1:00 PM)

CrApp swept UTA and is one game behind us in the east standings. We're the only of the better teams in the league that can't seem to get sweeps.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    CrApp swept UTA and is one game behind us in the east standings. We're the only of the better teams in the league that can't seem to get sweeps.
    They way our pitching has been for the last month, it’s a miracle that we’re winning series.

Quote Originally Posted by CC Eagle View Post
    They way our pitching has been for the last month, it’s a miracle that we’re winning series.
    +1

Our pitching depth for sure isn't that great, but does any team in this league have it? We're second in team ERA and relative to the rest of the conference are putting up much better offensive numbers than we have been the last several years.

UTA, Texas State, Coastal, and App State all have sweeps over teams we've played so far (and most have multiple sweeps). This is not a 2019 problem, either. The 2017 team got series wins over 4 of the top 5 conference opponents in the standings and still ended up with the #5 seed. That's from taking more than our fair share of bad conference losses, which seems to be a recurring theme with Georgia Southern baseball.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Are we suffering from injuries? mis-diagnosed recruiting? We have 15 pitchers on our roster, 4 without any appearances, 1 w/ 5 innings; 1 w/2.2 innings; 1 w/ 1 inning.
    (not counting a returning starting injured infielder, we also have 4 other outfielders without appearances)

We have a 40 man roster with no appearances from 9 players.

Thumbs down Re: [GAME THREAD] Baseball vs. South Alabama (April 28 - 1:00 PM)

Quote Originally Posted by tailgating fool View Post
    Are we suffering from injuries? mis-diagnosed recruiting? We have 15 pitchers on our roster, 4 without any appearances, 1 w/ 5 innings; 1 w/2.2 innings; 1 w/ 1 inning.
    (not counting a returning starting injured infielder, we also have 4 other outfielders without appearances)

All starts at the top!

Quote Originally Posted by tailgating fool View Post

I'm not much more privy to injury info than you guys. But if you look at previous seasons, you'll see that the amount of playing time and innings pitched - or lack thereof - is pretty consistent from season to season. Some guys are deemed to just not be ready to contribute yet - even when everyone else is struggling and people are tempted to throw anything at the wall to see what sticks. Many pitchers do get hurt/shut down. And then there are always one or two guys that have just played themselves out of any playing time due to past performance.

I'm not huge into baseball analytics, but I understand where the stat guys are coming from. It's fun to think about the fireworks some bench bat or a young arm could provide over the final month, but more than a century of baseball argues that one individual wouldn't make a difference of more than maybe one extra win. We're looking at 30-35 wins, so there doesn't seem to be a sound reason to burn a redshirt or shake up the lineup too much for the sake of throwing a freshman or a guy buried on the depth chart into the mix.
    The thoughts and opinions discussed in this post are property of CC Eagle and should not be redistributed or retransmitted without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.

I'm not much more privy to injury info than you guys. But if you look at previous seasons, you'll see that the amount of playing time and innings pitched - or lack thereof - is pretty consistent from season to season. Some guys are deemed to just not be ready to contribute yet - even when everyone else is struggling and people are tempted to throw anything at the wall to see what sticks. Many pitchers do get hurt/shut down. And then there are always one or two guys that have just played themselves out of any playing time due to past performance.

I'm not huge into baseball analytics, but I understand where the stat guys are coming from. It's fun to think about the fireworks some bench bat or a young arm could provide over the final month, but more than a century of baseball argues that one individual wouldn't make a difference of more than maybe one extra win. We're looking at 30-35 wins, so there doesn't seem to be a sound reason to burn a redshirt or shake up the lineup too much for the sake of throwing a freshman or a guy buried on the depth chart into the mix.
    Thanks for your take on things

The USA pitcher yesterday had the best curveball I've seen at Clements this season, with that said, he also was helped by a home plate ump who had a "wide" strike zone. Curry's first at bat was a terrible strike three call, curve was up around his head. Then numerous called strikes on curves 2-3 inches off the plate. The kid was good enough as is, he didn't need any help. I knew it was just a matter of time before CH got run. Well we got the series and a little help from GagSt knocking off CCU. Big weekend coming up at Troy.