TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Number retirement?

Default Re: Number retirement?

Quote Originally Posted by blueballs View Post
    Raymond Gross was this close- dropped my pen- to being the starting QB on 3 NC teams. If you are going to lower the standards for # retirement, start right there and then go to all the 3X all americans who were big time players on championship teams.

The object of the game is to win, and Raymond Gross did that better than anybody who had ever played division 1 football until his wins record was broken over 20 years later. Gross should be in the College Football HOF, perhaps that is why his # isn't retired.
    I share your high opinion of Gross, and your post shows exactly why #3 and #8 are alone in having their numbers retired.

We've had some GREAT players. However, Tracy was, well, Tracy, and AP is the leading rusher in the history of D-I football.

The gap between those two and all the other greats is significant. They set a nearly impossible standard.

I'm sure Jayson, Raymond, Greg, Giff, Freddie, Jerick, Jermaine, Brent, Joe, and Matt would like to have their numbers retired, but most (if not all) would admit that they weren't in the same class as #3 and #8.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

By those standards there may never be another jersey retired for Eagle football. Hope it isn’t so.

Quote Originally Posted by BullEagle View Post
    By those standards there may never be another jersey retired for Eagle football. Hope it isn’t so.
    How many programs (non traditional powers) have members in the CFB HoF?

How many have TWO in a span of less than 20 years?

We got extremely lucky with those two....and as unfair as it may be, they did set the bar.

I don’t see any way around that, though. The rubric has been set for our historical players.

The new determining factors for us as an FBS program, however, would probably include national-level accolades and/or big-time NFL success.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    JOE "but at the very least it could be restricted it to players whom the coaching staff think are going to be special leaders. Kevin Ellison, Shai Werts, Monquavion Brinson, etc"

I don't think that would work. You could have a coach that goes 6-6 each year and the coaching staff choose one of them as special leaders without putting up the numbers as did Tracy & AP.
    Talon: is there a reason that you quote the post that you are replying to, and then re-type exactly what is quoted above it? Why do extra work? Everyone knows what you are replying to when its quoted above what you type.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Could do like Ohio State. They stopped retiring numbers and honor them instead so they go up but remain in circulation. Players can also contact the owner or family of a retired number and request to use it and that's been granted before.

We have had plenty great players. But retiring a jersey is for SPECIAL, once in a lifetime players. If we "lower" the standard of jersey retirement to just great, we'll run out of numbers quickly. Any one of us could name a dozen or more great players that have worn the Blue & White with distinction. That doesn't mean we should have a dozen or more retired jerseys on the press box.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

8. Default Re: Number retirement?

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    Could do like Ohio State. They stopped retiring numbers and honor them instead so they go up but remain in circulation. Players can also contact the owner or family of a retired number and request to use it and that's been granted before.
    Florida State started doing that as well. Charlie Ward's #17 is retired forever, but more recently, players like Peter Warrick (#9) and Terrell Buckley (#27) have had their jersey retired. It's hung in a place of honor, but the numbers can still be used.

I think we should have a top tier number retirement for guys at Ham/AP's level, but we should have smaller jerseys/graphics on the press box to honor that next tier of player, while still allowing their number to be used in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    We have had plenty great players. But retiring a jersey is for SPECIAL, once in a lifetime players. If we "lower" the standard of jersey retirement to just great, we'll run out of numbers quickly. Any one of us could name a dozen or more great players that have worn the Blue & White with distinction. That doesn't mean we should have a dozen or more retired jerseys on the press box.
    Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I don’t see any way around that, though. The rubric has been set for our historical players.

The new determining factors for us as an FBS program, however, would probably include national-level accolades and/or big-time NFL success.
    I hope that Georgia Southern will have players deserving of KJ’s distinctions. The rareness of #3 and #8 at the FCS level is magnified by all the rated players going to P5’s in the well discussed recruitment process we now face. Someone who is truly exceptional may have to be judged going forward by the standards now available such as those that Pete mentioned. I stand by my comments and appreciate the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Talon: is there a reason that you quote the post that you are replying to, and then re-type exactly what is quoted above it? Why do extra work? Everyone knows what you are replying to when its quoted above what you type.
    I usually pull certain thoughts from 1 or 2 posters that I want to reply to specifically.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed