TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Number retirement?

Default Re: Number retirement?

Foster was a great player, and he won the big individual award.

From a distance, though, he seems much closer to the Breida/McKinnon/Ross/Hill/Austin tier than to the Ham/Peterson tier.

I realize that’s not really fair.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post

From a distance, though, he seems much closer to the Breida/McKinnon/Ross/Hill/Austin tier than to the Ham/Peterson tier.

I agree, and Breida and Foster both got dinged by coaching changes unfortunately.
    They don't retire jerseys based on potential.

Foster won the Payton Award. Equivalent of the Heisman. How do you not retire his number? We’ve had a ton of Payton Award winners I guess.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Foster won the Payton Award. Equivalent of the Heisman. How do you not retire his number? We’ve had a ton of Payton Award winners I guess.
    There are Payton Award winners, and then are a top five players in the history of the subdivision. That’s the difference between Jayson and Tracy/AP.

Foster was a great player, though. The other guys I listed were also great players. Any of them could have won the Payton with better luck.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

I would love to see #4 retired but if not so be it. I've said this before, what really impressed me about #4 was his attitude(yes, his on field play was outstanding), but to remain upbeat and positive during/after what that dork BVG did to him was IMO one of the greatest achievements in his career here at GS. It took a lot of inner fortitude and class to put up with that clown.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post

IMO Foster could have been the 2nd best QB we ever had, sadly coaching changes threw his QB chances of becoming that QB and developing his potential was to the fullest.

Then you also have players like Raymond Gross.
    Passing yards 3,806 ( 2nd behind Ham.)-Played QB for 4 years 1987 1988 1989 1990, went to the playoffs each year, played in 3 1aa National Championship games winning 2, Helped lead the 1999 team to the first 15-0 record in 100 years. Thats also a very impressive.

How about GSU receivers that get little credit at GSU like Andrews and Sharp.

Raja Andrew who had 127 receptions from 2005 2006 2007 2008 - Andrews had 64 receptions in 2008 He had 2 single game highs of 10 in 2008 against The Citadel & 10 in 2008 against Samford. Andrews had 1,538 total receiving yard 300 behind Monty Sharp. Monty had 92 receptions from 1983 1984 1985 1986. Monty had 18 TDs while Andrews had 9 TDs
    ,Then you have Greg Hill with 6,678 offensive yards & Kevin Ellison 6,593 ranked 2 & 3 behind Tracy Ham.

We had a lot of great QBs and players over the years.

AS Pete stated - "There are Payton Award winners, and then are a top five players in the history of the subdivision. That’s the difference between Jayson and Tracy/AP."
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

7. Default Re: Number retirement?

I think our press box looks appropriate with #8, #3, and Coach Erk Russell adorning it. Many other great eagles have made us who we are, but these 3 are in rarified air.

Quote Originally Posted by TiftEagle View Post
    I think our press box looks appropriate with #8, #3, and Coach Erk Russell adorning it. Many other great eagles have made us who we are, but these 3 are in rarified air.
    TiftEagle - "Many other great eagles have made us who we are, but these 3 are in rarified"

I have to agree!
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    IMO Foster could have been the 2nd best QB we ever had, sadly coaching changes threw his QB chances of becoming that QB and developing his potential was to the fullest.

Then you also have players like Raymond Gross.
    Passing yards 3,806 ( 2nd behind Ham.)-Played QB for 4 years 1987 1988 1989 1990, went to the playoffs each year, played in 3 1aa National Championship games winning 2, Helped lead the 1999 team to the first 15-0 record in 100 years. Thats also a very impressive.

How about GSU receivers that get little credit at GSU like Andrews and Sharp.

Raja Andrew who had 127 receptions from 2005 2006 2007 2008 - Andrews had 64 receptions in 2008 He had 2 single game highs of 10 in 2008 against The Citadel & 10 in 2008 against Samford. Andrews had 1,538 total receiving yard 300 behind Monty Sharp. Monty had 92 receptions from 1983 1984 1985 1986. Monty had 18 TDs while Andrews had 9 TDs
    ,Then you have Greg Hill with 6,678 offensive yards & Kevin Ellison 6,593 ranked 2 & 3 behind Tracy Ham.

We had a lot of great QBs and players over the years.

AS Pete stated - "There are Payton Award winners, and then are a top five players in the history of the subdivision. That’s the difference between Jayson and Tracy/AP."
    Agree

I don't know if #4 should be retired for Jayson Foster or not, but at the very least it could be restricted it to players whom the coaching staff think are going to be special leaders. Kevin Ellison, Shai Werts, Monquavion Brinson, etc.
    Josiah McDaniel
    B.S. in Journalism, 2003
    Statesboro, GA
    "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." --I Corinthians 13:11