TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Cunningham Leaving

Default Re: Andrew Cunningham Leaving

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Not all are transferring. Some just left the team for one reason or another.

Over the past year, we’ve lost Ford, Rogers, Bush, Johnson, Cunningham, Henry, Glenn, Washington, McConnell (can’t remember the date for him), Bryce Cross, and possibly others as transfers. That’s ten players (off the top of MY head).

We’ve lost Lofton, Bargnare, Tre Adams, and probably others because they quit or were dismissed.

Anyway, losing ten scholarship players to transfer in less than a year seems to be uncharted territory for us and a cause for some concern. How will this affect APR? Losing so many gambles on talented athletes with academic and citizenship deficiencies between 1997 and 2009 came home to roost and almost derailed the program for good.

The only place on the field I’m worried about due to the current transfers is WR (including slot). Having Bush back would have been nice, too.
    "Over the past year", although technically correct can be a little deceiving as it contains two off seasons. I don't consider the ones that left prior to the start of the 2018 season to have been lost "this" year.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    "Over the past year", although technically correct can be a little deceiving as it contains two off seasons. I don't consider the ones that left prior to the start of the 2018 season to have been lost "this" year.
    Since we've still got lots of off-season in front of us, I think calendar year is valid.

Since we've still got lots of off-season in front of us, I think calendar year is valid.
    Does that mean if we win another 10 games this upcoming season that we won 20 games "this year"?
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Does that mean if we win another 10 games this upcoming season that we won 20 games "this year"?
    I’m an accountant so that may impact my view on this, but isn’t the calendar year Jan 1 to Dec 31? Your discussing a “fiscal year”, right? Semantics, I know. Different people consider a season different ways. Does a new season start the day after the last game, the 1st day off season winter/spring conditioning & lifting workouts, signing day, start spring practice, etc?

I agree with you that players lost before workouts started shouldn’t count against this “season.” Since we’re only about 1/3 into this season, isn’t going back 12 months a valid comparison. It does encompass two off seasons, but they’re different parts. As long as you don’t double count last Jan-Apr it seems like a reasonable comparison. I didn’t re-read all the posts or go back and look when each player left, but if players listed were over 12 months ago they shouldn’t be included.

Different factors impact different seasons. When a staff/scheme changes players transfer (last season). The new portal process this season. Scheme specific should be considered like for WRs at GS.

To answer your question, we could never win 20 games in a year. At most we might could pick up an extra game played pending bye week differences.

Side note: I’d be interested to know transfer stats going into year 2 of a new staff/scheme. Maybe some players stick around an extra year hoping new position coach etc gives them a chance to get more PT. Maybe a player vying for PT in old scheme no longer is in the new. Maybe that could be a reason for more transfer this year.

No. A calendar year contains one full offseason. It's not like the first week of the offseason is the only part that counts. Scratch McConnell, and everyone I listed from last offseason left in either July or August.

How's that complicated?
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

I forgot Christian Matthew, who also transferred last summer.

And I have a vague recollection that Bargnare has indeed found a landing place . . . Google says Campbell U.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Bargnare wasn’t kicked off the team, was he?
    Didn't say he was.

No one has been publicly dismissed that I know of.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

I forgot Christian Matthew, who also transferred last summer.

And I have a vague recollection that Bargnare has indeed found a landing place . . . Google says Campbell U.
    To go along with this, there's always going to be turbulence in a coach's first year, to include the first full season and proceeding offseason.

If we see the same kind of movement in the next 12 months I'd be asking some questions.

However, guys like Saban run guys off and just plug in someone better so there's that too.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    To go along with this, there's always going to be turbulence in a coach's first year, to include the first full season and proceeding offseason.

If we see the same kind of movement in the next 12 months I'd be asking some questions.

However, guys like Saban run guys off and just plug in someone better so there's that too.
    Yeah, I don't mean to imply that it's a big deal.

My only two concerns are WR and APR.

I hope that hiring Lamar Owens as a dedicated WR/slot coach will improve our retention at those positions.

APR? Who knows.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

10. Default Re: Andrew Cunningham Leaving

https://twitter.com/lancesmith44/status/1121703437937324032

Clemson RB looking to Transfer to App or GS