TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Thread: Georgia Southern's four biggest games of the season in 2019

Default Georgia Southern's four biggest games of the season in 2019

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/geor...sota-sec-big10

Thought this was an interesting take on the upcoming season. Written by one of our own, McClain Baxley of the George-Anne.

2. Default Re: Georgia Southern's four biggest games of the season in 2019

Surprised he named Troy our most important away game and not App

Default Re: Georgia Southern's four biggest games of the season in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Or Ark State who I think is the most beatable of the three. They replaced both coordinators and lost a lot from last year. They are replacing a QB that the other 2 are not. We will need 2 of those 3 to host the championship game.

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    Or Ark State who I think is the most beatable of the three. They replaced both coordinators and lost a lot from last year. They are replacing a QB that the other 2 are not. We will need 2 of those 3 to host the championship game.
    Agree that we need to win two of three. I’d feel better if the two were Troy and App

5. Default Re: Georgia Southern's four biggest games of the season in 2019

We need to beat every team in the East this season: App, Troy, Ga State, and Coastal. We get State and Coastal at home while App and Troy are installing new coaching staffs which means optimistically we could go 4-0 but conservatively I say 3-1.

In the other division, we play ULL, ULM, Ark State, and South Alabama. The two hardest will be ULL and ULM who are both at home (Bye before playing ULL) and then Arkansas State and South Alabama on the road. Arkansas State lost a lot of players and coaches this past season and their head coach's wife is in a battle with cancer. That's tough. That's why I don't believe this will be Ark State's year, and it'll be easier for us. We travel to USA on a short week for a Thursday night match up. I'm hoping it won't be like @TXST this past season, but it has that written all over it. Conservatively I say we go 3-1 in this category.

Then Out-Of-Conference, we play Maine for our home opener, NMSU for homecoming, and LSU and Minnesota on the road. Maine is a pretty good little FCS squad going 10-4 with a win at FBS Western Kentucky and making it to the FCS quarterfinals before getting blown out by Eastern Washington. Hoping the gnats and humidity choke them out and we break away from them in the second half. Homecoming vs NMSU shouldn't be too difficult to manage. LSU and Minnesota will take faith, trust, and pixie dust to get W's in. We will likely go 2-2 in this category.

Add those together and we go 8-4 conservatively with a chance to go higher if we win toss up games vs ULM, App, and Minnesota.

We need to beat every team in the East this season: App, Troy, Ga State, and Coastal. We get State and Coastal at home while App and Troy are installing new coaching staffs which means optimistically we could go 4-0 but conservatively I say 3-1.

In the other division, we play ULL, ULM, Ark State, and South Alabama. The two hardest will be ULL and ULM who are both at home (Bye before playing ULL) and then Arkansas State and South Alabama on the road. Arkansas State lost a lot of players and coaches this past season and their head coach's wife is in a battle with cancer. That's tough. That's why I don't believe this will be Ark State's year, and it'll be easier for us. We travel to USA on a short week for a Thursday night match up. I'm hoping it won't be like @TXST this past season, but it has that written all over it. Conservatively I say we go 3-1 in this category.

Then Out-Of-Conference, we play Maine for our home opener, NMSU for homecoming, and LSU and Minnesota on the road. Maine is a pretty good little FCS squad going 10-4 with a win at FBS Western Kentucky and making it to the FCS quarterfinals before getting blown out by Eastern Washington. Hoping the gnats and humidity choke them out and we break away from them in the second half. Homecoming vs NMSU shouldn't be too difficult to manage. LSU and Minnesota will take faith, trust, and pixie dust to get W's in. We will likely go 2-2 in this category.

Add those together and we go 8-4 conservatively with a chance to go higher if we win toss up games vs ULM, App, and Minnesota.
    That's a solid take. In terms of McClain's article, I also thought it was interesting how App wasn't picked over the Troy game.

You could make the argument App State is the biggest game because it's App State.

But as far as which team will be better, I would pick Troy.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

Maine has a new coach this year, and they are a few years removed from Cosgrove who was a good coach there.

9. Default Re: Georgia Southern's four biggest games of the season in 2019

Hopefully, we will see some more complex stuff this year.

Shai won a few games just due to his talents... But we need to not depend on his so much.

Last year’s plays seemed pretty vanilla (understandably with the new staff.). I’d love to see us get a little more tricky.

I really like the idea of having short passes as a reliable component. You know teams will stack the box. Let’s make them pay!

"Four biggest games"... doesn't mention App State. I'd argue that our games at App and Troy are bigger than ANY of our home games this season. So the article is flawed in that regard by including a home game at all (IMO).
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.