TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: And some say we really don't have a chance against Gophers

Default Re: And some say we really don't have a chance against Gophers

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Once again, it's ok to be wrong.
    It's pretty accurate in 2019.

We run inside zone with some triple option concepts...alot.

In 2019 pretty much every team runs inside zone (while very few run veer schemes) and almost every teams had SOME type of triple option in their arsenal...they just call it an RPO.

The scheme definitely doesn't provide quite the same contrarian advantage that it did even in 2014.

Not that it isn't effective... it's just not that special.

Can we stop with the “contrarian” nonsense? Nobody speaks like this. You don’t sound smarter, or more well-informed. You are a band geek with a fked up face.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    We play a ton more attractive non conference scheduling now than ever before. Even saban said when bama scheduled us hatcher was the coach and they would have never scheduled us if we ran the option, but monken took over. We run what every g5 runs, only we run it 90% of the time versus 50-75%. We are not sneaking up on any p5s or high level g5s with what we run.
    That has to do with us being FBS. Other teams that have moved to the SBC have also improved their non-conference schedule.

Here's all you need to know about our scheduling...when NMSU comes to play us in late October it will be our second home non-conference FBS game ever. In our 6th season in FBS. Let that sink in. It has nothing to do with other ADs holding a teenage girlish grudge against TK or whatever other stupid ways people to try and put it on him. The comment in the anonymous coaches article pretty much says it.

You are also ignoring how NMSU was able to punch over their weight with DeBesse as their OC and had one of their best seasons in decades in 2016. I can tell you they won't come close to matching that offense for a while.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

4. Default Re: And some say we really don't have a chance against Gophers

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    That has to do with us being FBS. Other teams that have moved to the SBC have also improved their non-conference schedule.

Here's all you need to know about our scheduling...when NMSU comes to play us in late October it will be our second home non-conference FBS game ever. In our 6th season in FBS. Let that sink in. It has nothing to do with other ADs holding a teenage girlish grudge against TK or whatever other stupid ways people to try and put it on him. The comment in the anonymous coaches article pretty much says it.

You are also ignoring how NMSU was able to punch over their weight with DeBesse as their OC and had one of their best seasons in decades in 2016. I can tell you they won't come close to matching that offense for a while.
    DeBesse was at UNM not NMSU

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post

In 2019 pretty much every team runs inside zone (while very few run veer schemes) and almost every teams had SOME type of triple option in their arsenal...they just call it an RPO.

The scheme definitely doesn't provide quite the same contrarian advantage that it did even in 2014.

The 14/15 was pretty similar to offenses at places like Ohio State and Baylor (with less passing). Sure, plenty of teams run IZ. However I doubt he could have said that specifically. The mentality of, we're in the shotgun so we look like everyone else is still pretty pervasive here with certain people.

And yes, teams may run IZ, but we're unique in how many option concepts we tag to it. It's also probably more unique in some of the nuances of the blocking scheme due to how we run our option concepts.

It may not be as uniquely contrarian as the flex was, but I do think there's enough to say it's not just cookie cutter. But then again, people didn't understand that App under Satterfield was running old school NFL stretch zone schemes from the pistol either. They were not far away from being an option team themselves but none of them would ever admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    The 14/15 was pretty similar to offenses at places like Ohio State and Baylor (with less passing). Sure, plenty of teams run IZ. However I doubt he could have said that specifically. The mentality of, we're in the shotgun so we look like everyone else is still pretty pervasive here with certain people.

And yes, teams may run IZ, but we're unique in how many option concepts we tag to it. It's also probably more unique in some of the nuances of the blocking scheme due to how we run our option concepts.

It may not be as uniquely contrarian as the flex was, but I do think there's enough to say it's not just cookie cutter. But then again, people didn't understand that App under Satterfield was running old school NFL stretch zone schemes from the pistol either. They were not far away from being an option team themselves but none of them would ever admit it.
    gasouthern01 or anyone else that agrees with him really only need to try and show we don't compete as well with Power 5s since 2014 as we did in the flexbone years to make their point. They won't do it because we've competed at least as well against P5s since 2014. I don't care about theoretical arguments about why the flex might be more unique when we have 9 P5 games on the books since Monken left and a good track record of DeBesse's offense at UNM.

Just like I don't care about the "we were 2-10 in 2017 and we don't have any talent so 2018 must've been a fluke" arguments when SB Nation's analytics and the expected wins based on YPP differentials I did shows it didn't affect the season that much.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 25th August 2019 at 10:12 AM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

7. Default Re: And some say we really don't have a chance against Gophers

Quote Originally Posted by GSCBBA1987 View Post
    But.....I don’t know your name......
    Sure you do. You just don't know that you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by everybody knows my name View Post
    Sure you do. You just don't know that you know it.

Norm!?

*** If GSU can replicate Fritz's first 2 years at GSU and improve on it GSU should be in good shape with the correct recruits***.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post

**In 2019 pretty much every team runs inside zone (while very few run veer schemes) and almost every teams had SOME type of triple option in their arsenal...they just call it an RPO.

*The scheme definitely doesn't provide quite the same contrarian advantage that it did even in 2014.

I didn't see much T-0pton from any NCAA team. I saw the QB Keep- pitch option run a few times by other collage teams'.

One of the reasons I liked the Flex Option was the cut blacking, the closeness of the Full back in relation to the QB and LOS which really disguises the hand off, a slot in motion that helped read the opponents defensive coverage and set up better counters. 2 wide outs and shots close to the LOS as possible receiver and the Full back for swing passes or sneaking out of the back field as in the last NDSU game.

Of course finding the wide receivers needed and the option QB that can hit his receivers 55% of the time at 120-140 ypg has limited the Flex Option for a long time. Of course if you look back at the 1985 GSU Furman NC, 4 minutes into the 2nd half using the Run & shoot option Ham proved it could be done.

Of course the GSU has to be as good defense to balance the team.

Navy's record under Johnson a Ken N.
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...avy/index.html

Army's Head Coach took over one of the worst FBS teams in the country in Army. The first 2 years at army weren't great but the last 3 years has shown great improvement.
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-monken-1.html

Again I believe the Shotgun option if coached correctly with the right players can do the trick. (Example GT, NC & Georgia.)
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    *** If GSU can replicate Fritz's first 2 years at GSU and improve on it GSU should be in good shape with the correct recruits***.

+1

I didn't see much T-0pton from any NCAA team. I saw the QB Keep- pitch option run a few times by other collage teams'.

One of the reasons I liked the Flex Option was the cut blacking, the closeness of the Full back in relation to the QB and LOS which really disguises the hand off, a slot in motion that helped read the opponents defensive coverage and set up better counters. 2 wide outs and shots close to the LOS as possible receiver and the Full back for swing passes or sneaking out of the back field as in the last NDSU game.

Of course finding the wide receivers needed and the option QB that can hit his receivers 55% of the time at 120-140 ypg has limited the Flex Option for a long time. Of course if you look back at the 1985 GSU Furman NC, 4 minutes into the 2nd half using the Run & shoot option Ham proved it could be done.

Of course the GSU has to be as good defense to balance the team.

Navy's record under Johnson a Ken N.
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...avy/index.html

Army's Head Coach took over one of the worst FBS teams in the country in Army. The first 2 years at army weren't great but the last 3 years has shown great improvement.
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-monken-1.html

Again I believe the Shotgun option if coached correctly with the right players can do the trick. (Example GT, NC & Georgia.)
    +1