TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 43

Thread: Baseball: App State series

  1. Default Re: Baseball: App State series

    Eagleman, you’re piggybacking off Eskimo generic statements. The players played the game. What specifically did the coaching staff do to cause these losses?

  2. Default Re: Baseball: App State series

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Eagleman, you’re piggybacking off Eskimo generic statements. The players played the game. What specifically did the coaching staff do to cause these losses?
    Recruiting and/or development. I mean, Rodney’s best player is a Tyson Summer’s recruit. And I have to assume we are in the bottom half of D1 in errors committed based on the amount we have every game.

  3. #33

    Default Re: Baseball: App State series

    App apparently had a social media push to try and break the attendance record for the Saturday game. I can't imagine doing that for a conference opponent in baseball. I don't consider them better than us in football or basketball (recent records notwithstanding in both sports), but in baseball they aren't us.

    We're also 13-2 against them in baseball since entering the Sun Belt and one of the two losses was this season. At least App is decent this season I guess instead of terrible.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

    REgardling football Scheduling.

  4. #34

    Default Re: Baseball: App State series

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    App apparently had a social media push to try and break the attendance record for the Saturday game. I can't imagine doing that for a conference opponent in baseball. I don't consider them better than us in football or basketball (recent records notwithstanding in both sports), but in baseball they aren't us.

    We're also 13-2 against them in baseball since entering the Sun Belt and one of the two losses was this season. At least App is decent this season I guess instead of terrible.
    I think part of the reason they chose to do it against us is because we were the opponent when the last record was set.

    The fans around me didn't seem to agree with the announced number yesterday & thought it was low.

    $1 tickets isn't a bad deal though. Ended up being a gorgeous day for baseball.

  5. Default Re: Baseball: App State series

    Recruiting is tough in Georgia. Blue chip prospects commit early to big schools. Schools like Coastal compete well because they have northern student athletes enroll as well.

    Our best player was also a baseball player who was drafted prior to coming to Southern. There are always stories of how a player ended up at a program. Some are told publicly, some not.

    Player development sometimes goes as far as the talent of the player. Yes, they’re some coaches that have the ability to get players to play above their head. Execution falls on the player come game time.

    I’ve seen some players at UGA, GT, and GS who could flat out play in hs. But couldn’t adapt to the next level. Difference is, those other schools can afford to be wrong more often because of the talent pool of players always coming in. I guarantee you, many of our current players, had they been offered early by UGA or GT, would have accepted out of HS.

    GS succeeds by getting that overlooked player, the true blue GS fan, or the potential recruit doing some homework on potential playing time. Along the way, there will be a few solid chips to build around.

    I don’t see a lot of errors made by the everyday players. Most errors I see are by fill in players or guys that were forced to play somewhere other than their normal position over the course of the season.

  6. Default Re: Baseball: App State series

    Quote Originally Posted by gsudarlin View Post
    I think part of the reason they chose to do it against us is because we were the opponent when the last record was set.

    The fans around me didn't seem to agree with the announced number yesterday & thought it was low.

    $1 tickets isn't a bad deal though. Ended up being a gorgeous day for baseball.
    What was the announced number? Did they break their record?

  7. #37

    Default Re: Baseball: App State series

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Recruiting is tough in Georgia. Blue chip prospects commit early to big schools. Schools like Coastal compete well because they have northern student athletes enroll as well.

    Our best player was also a baseball player who was drafted prior to coming to Southern. There are always stories of how a player ended up at a program. Some are told publicly, some not.

    Player development sometimes goes as far as the talent of the player. Yes, they’re some coaches that have the ability to get players to play above their head. Execution falls on the player come game time.

    I’ve seen some players at UGA, GT, and GS who could flat out play in hs. But couldn’t adapt to the next level. Difference is, those other schools can afford to be wrong more often because of the talent pool of players always coming in. I guarantee you, many of our current players, had they been offered early by UGA or GT, would have accepted out of HS.

    GS succeeds by getting that overlooked player, the true blue GS fan, or the potential recruit doing some homework on potential playing time. Along the way, there will be a few solid chips to build around.

    I don’t see a lot of errors made by the everyday players. Most errors I see are by fill in players or guys that were forced to play somewhere other than their normal position over the course of the season.
    I think you're applying college football logic to baseball. For one thing the very best high school baseball players go straight to the farm system, and in baseball the number of scholarship you can offer max is between 1/3 and 1/2 the size of the roster. Every year we probably have a weekend starter that could be a weekend starter for UGA and a midweek starter that could be a mid week starter at UGA. It's a sport where an SEC team can poach a guy (Luke Berryhill) who isn't even a starter and becomes one of the better guys in the lineup at USC.

    I'm not saying that the big-money schools don't still have an advantage. There's a reason why the SEC gets so many teams to the regionals and has had so many different teams in the CWS finals. But no regular-season championships or at-large bids since 2001 is a disappointment. There are significantly more teams in non-major conferences getting at-large bids in baseball than in basketball, and we should be among them once in a while.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

    REgardling football Scheduling.

  8. Default Re: Baseball: App State series

    I said commit, not enroll. Not applying football logic at all. All the HS players will commit somewhere. Big name schools have commits that get drafted. If we have a commit get drafted who signs, it has more of an impact.

    I don’t disagree one bit about us having a starter who could be in the rotation of a SEC/ACC. We have hitters too. I don’t think I was debating that at all. If you took it that way, my mistake. Team depth is a different issue. We do not have the team depth of those bigger schools.

  9. #39

    Default Re: Baseball: App State series

    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    What was the announced number? Did they break their record?
    They announced 851 & needed to beat 1,116.

    The people around me said they announced 800something last week though & this crowd was much bigger.

    Lots of people in the grass & concourse, which I think would've filled the 1000 seats & still had people standing, but oh well. Made for some interesting people watching

  10. #40

    Default Re: Baseball: App State series

    Clyde, A great deal of our players during Skip’s time came from the north to play at a school with good weather/long season. Not sure what the story is now. our weather is better than Coastals........but coastal is getting the players.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

Similar Threads

  1. Baseball: Georgia State series
    By BillyBob in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 20th May 2018, 02:09 PM
  2. Baseball back in the BORO this weekend - App State Series
    By GSUEYES in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 21st March 2018, 03:21 PM
  3. Baseball: Texas State series
    By BillyBob in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st April 2016, 06:50 PM
  4. GS @ App State Baseball Series
    By aristocracker in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 13th March 2016, 12:12 PM
  5. Alcorn State Baseball Series Moved a Day
    By EagleInfo in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28th April 2010, 04:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •