TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: It's a small world vs. dead horse beating

Default Re: It's a small world vs. dead horse beating

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Makes me think of something else...... Something which could explain why they chose CTS with seemingly such thin qualifications.

I think a major part of the interview has become religious practice.

TS was an evangelical. CL is too.....

Nothing wrong with that... But I think some of the big donors might have made that a sort of litmus test. I am a Christian, but I recognize we are not a religious school. I don’t think any potential future hire’s religion should enter into the equation when interviewing.

Don’t get me wrong. I like seeing the players kneeling in prayer before a game. I like the mission trip idea and all. I’m a fan of CL and the way he lives his life. But I am concerned that if we make evangelism a pre-condition of employment for a HC, we will be limiting ourselves.

I can see that being a possible factor which may have put CTS over finish line with a few big money donors who might have had input into the interview process. That causes me concern. CTS was in no way qualified to be here. His evangelism didn’t make him any better of a coach, but I really get the feeling it helped him get the job.

Not all good coaches are religious, and many potential recruits are turned off by evangelism. We better be careful with that. I’d like to make sure we aren’t limiting the program in that way. Some good players are Muslim. Some are atheist. I hope we aren’t limiting ourselves.
    That can't explain the Fritz hire.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    That can't explain the Fritz hire.
    Exactly. And there's the pesky fact that making any religion a "pre-condition of employment" would be illegal.

3. Default Re: It's a small world vs. dead horse beating

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    Exactly. And there's the pesky fact that making any religion a "pre-condition of employment" would be illegal.
    I never said it was a “pre condition.”

I just think it may have gotten CTS over the hump.

Beep beep beep...that’s the sound of you backing up.

I usually don't post too much in the off-season once basketball is over, but this is GOLD.
    The notion that he was so incompetent by accident is a stretch. He and Smart are buddies from way back, and I have so little respect for Smart that I wouldn’t put something like a plant past him. He comes from the Saban swamp..... And we all saw what happened to UAB when they became a threat to AL.
    UAB was a threat to Alabama the same way Luxembourg is a threat to France. The UAB budget wouldn't even pay for the socks Alabama uses. They never have been and never will be a threat to Alabama.
    In the long run, CTS will have a good career. No one will likely ever know whether his performance was a genuine accident. But the damage was very real. Set us back at least 5 years.

I don’t believe in accidents. I truly don’t believe what happened was an accident.
    Then clearly nothing is going to convince you. Even though it makes no sense that Summers would pretty much ruin any chance of ever becoming a head coach again. Not to mention how miserable his family was for two years due to people like you whose disdain for him went far beyond what you should feel for a football coach. And how did he set us back five years? We basically had the same season last year we had the year before he came.

People tend to forget how truly awful it was..... “I didn’t watch any film.” That’s what TS said when asked how he would adjust to our unique style of offense. Yeah. Started off real good. Right out of the chute, and got worse. Once again.... Does something like that seem like an accident?

What coach (at any level) wouldn’t watch film to figure out what a team he was taking over was good at. That is unbelievable to me.
    He was a defensive minded coach. I bet Billy Napier didn't watch too much defensive film when he got to ULL last spring. Not to mention as we all have already noted, Summers was arrogant and completely in over his head. I don't think it's surprising at all.

Summers won’t have a good career. He used up his last favor with the Colorado job.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Yes you did.

I think a major part of the interview has become religious practice.

But I am concerned that if we make evangelism a pre-condition of employment for a HC, we will be limiting ourselves.

Why did GS hire CTS? It's easy really. After Fritz bolted for a "better" job and looking back on Monken and even PJ, our fan base was screaming for a coach who would be committed to GS, stay here more than 3 years no matter what and basically be our Joe Paterno (minus that whole Sandusky thing). So guess what... we got what we asked for. I've said the exact same thing from day 1 of that hire and I'll take that to my grave. We hired the guy who sold us on his loyalty to our school. That and the briefcase of plans he apparently had for his dream staff that didn't happen. Not to mention he was cheap. It's that simple really. At the end of the day, TK (and whomever else) gave us exactly what we, the fans, asked for... maybe even against his better judgement to be completely honest.

The scary thing is... even being 5 and 7 that first year, we really had a shot to have won 7 or 8 games purely on talent alone. This about it... we if don't lose that Ark State game and we beat Georgia State, we would have been ties for 2nd in conference and most likely gone to a bowl game. Add a win at ULL and we have 3 wins to finish the season and sole 2nd in the conference. Had we done that, the staff would have stayed the same and there is no telling what year 2 might have been. But I'm willing to guess we wouldn't have fired him after year 2 at that point and we'd be another year behind where we are now.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Summers won’t have a good career. He used up his last favor with the Colorado job.
    Look at that nameless one for proof this isn't true. How many times has the stache been fired to only land somewhere else?
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

I don’t believe in accidents.
    Dangerous way of thinking. Accidents and incompetence have happened when the stakes are much higher than an FBS coaching hire.

NASA lost a very expensive probe because they failed to make a simple unit conversion. A hotel in Singapore collapsed and killed dozens because the guy that calculated the required specs for the reinforced concrete forgot to account for the weight of the building. The Titanic didn't have enough life boats for all the passengers, and on and on.

Poop happens, and most of the time there's no conspiracy behind it.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.