TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Bob DeBesse breakdown of the offense

1. Default Re: Bob DeBesse breakdown of the offense

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    NCAA approved 65% of FBS waiver requests last year and 87% of FCS requests.
    According to Fields' attorney, "the incident" was not part of the waiver submission.
    "Irrefutable documentation that has nothing to do with racism was presented to the NCAA in support of OSUís request that Justin Fields be given a waiver," Mars said. "That information wasnít critical of -- and didnít reflect poorly on -- the UGA culture, the UGA administration or staff, any particular student, or the student body. And it certainly didnít reflect poorly on Justin or any member of his family. However, that documentation did provide support for the issuance of a waiver under the NCAAís rules."
    https://247sports.com/Article/Justin...ism-129122235/
    Who cares whether it was part of the submission?

Everyone knows that was the ONLY reason he was granted the waiver. Just to appease that tension.

More and more players will start 'hearing' mean stuff, and a waiver will be granted every single time.

Wish I could get a career boost every time I hear something I don't like.....

-Bad karma. Watch. This QB will flounder at Ohio. Nothing good comes from cheapshot games like he played.

Default Re: Bob DeBesse breakdown of the offense

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I really think he has the best arm of any GS QB I've seen..... Very nice consistency. I just wish we had more guys who could catch better. So many dropped passes (especially short, easy ones-for some reason) last season on what would have been absolutely brilliant plays. Just think back to 'the scramble' at the Camelia bowl. Wide open, nice short pass available.... But we all know exactly what Shai was thinking..... Couldn't afford another dropped pass right there.

Would be so nice to have the other end of the passing equation buttoned up.
    Gotta be honest...I don't remember THAT many dropped passes. I'm sure we had some, but they don't stick out to me like in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    We have good blockers at WR. Iím hoping somebody other than Anderson becomes a viable deep threat.
    I don't think Anderson is a viable deep threat. No WR on this current team is faster than Teddy Craft or Reggie McCutcheon...

Maybe Thompson...but he's a slot.

We're incredibly slow for a GS team in my opinion.

4. Default Re: Bob DeBesse breakdown of the offense

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Gotta be honest...I don't remember THAT many dropped passes. I'm sure we had some, but they don't stick out to me like in 2015.

You're right.....

But a lot of those were off speed or off target a little (or a lot.)

KE was good at a lot of stuff, but he was very inconsistent in passing. He would overthrow the hell out of people a lot of times.

I think Werts has much better accuracy and touch. I recall multiple short passes flat out dropped (many were @10 yards.) I don't remember a whole lot that weren't catchable, Certainly not the % I am used to seeing.

Maybe we have been working on that. I would love see some hands good enough to catch short passes. We seem to be much better at the deep ones for some reason. We just don't do that much.

Short passes completed reliably could really be valuable. Shai certainly has the arm.

I love the idea of screwing with defenses in this way. They just wouldn't expect it. Nice, short completions whenever we want to..... Would be such a nasty weapon.

Of all the players that were targeted last year (meaning a pass was delivered to them that they should have caught), only 3 guys were below 50% catch rate: Darion Anderson, Mark Michaud, and Cam Brown. They had 9, 4, and 3 targets respectively, so it's not like they were getting the ball thrown to them a lot. Anderson also still managed to have one of the highest success rates in the passing game and was by far our most explosive receiver (he had 3 TDs on 4 catches, they were pretty much all huge plays).

Based on last year's results, Anderson IS your deep threat. Behind him? Wesley Fields. Ransom didn't do too bad either.

But yea, we need some more guys to step up. I've been waiting for Fortune to be a playmaker. It also looks like as the year went on last year his blocking improved. I'm hoping to see improvement from that unit overall.

I'd like to see more screens integrated into our passing game. We had several set up last year that weren't as effective as they should have been due to issues with the blocking not setting up properly. I'd also like to see the TE get the ball a bit more as well, if we have someone that can step up at that position with hands. It seems that this offense sees that position more valuable in run support, but there are some things we could be doing to cause the defense to have to pay more attention to him. We do have some more complex route options as well like we saw on the 2 min drill against UMass. It seems we simplified a lot of things last year intentionally as a way to insure success....and it worked. Now is time to build on that foundation.

All that said, I wouldn't expect to see us airing it out a ton more. I'm expecting to see more variability in how we run the ball and use influence type plays.
    Last edited by eaglewraith; 4th April 2019 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Pete pointing out how dumb I am

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I'm hoping to see improvement from that unit overall with Owens at WR coach now....if anyone should be able to teach them, it should be a guy that played A-back in the flex.
    Owens played QB.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    I don't think Anderson is a viable deep threat. No WR on this current team is faster than Teddy Craft or Reggie McCutcheon...

Maybe Thompson...but he's a slot.

We're incredibly slow for a GS team in my opinion.
    we need over next few years to improve speed wise, our staff is aware of this, for now we work with what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Owens played QB.
    Well that's what I get for not checking.....my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Of all the players that were targeted last year (meaning a pass was delivered to them that they should have caught), only 3 guys were below 50% catch rate: Darion Anderson, Mark Michaud, and Cam Brown. They had 9, 4, and 3 targets respectively, so it's not like they were getting the ball thrown to them a lot. Anderson also still managed to have one of the highest success rates in the passing game and was by far our most explosive receiver (he had 3 TDs on 4 catches, they were pretty much all huge plays).

Based on last year's results, Anderson IS your deep threat. Behind him? Wesley Fields. Ransom didn't do too bad either.

But yea, we need some more guys to step up. I've been waiting for Fortune to be a playmaker. It also looks like as the year went on last year his blocking improved. I'm hoping to see improvement from that unit overall.

I'd like to see more screens integrated into our passing game. We had several set up last year that weren't as effective as they should have been due to issues with the blocking not setting up properly. I'd also like to see the TE get the ball a bit more as well, if we have someone that can step up at that position with hands. It seems that this offense sees that position more valuable in run support, but there are some things we could be doing to cause the defense to have to pay more attention to him. We do have some more complex route options as well like we saw on the 2 min drill against UMass. It seems we simplified a lot of things last year intentionally as a way to insure success....and it worked. Now is time to build on that foundation.

All that said, I wouldn't expect to see us airing it out a ton more. I'm expecting to see more variability in how we run the ball and use influence type plays.
    Based on the spring game, you may get your wish. It looks like we may utilize the quick pass as a way to get the ball to the outside in a hurry, or as a way to punish the defense when they stack the box.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleNationRising View Post
    Based on the spring game, you may get your wish. It looks like we may utilize the quick pass as a way to get the ball to the outside in a hurry, or as a way to punish the defense when they stack the box.

https://www.championshipproductions....d=ubGc9jCo4fGr
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.