TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Conference really needs to fix the basketball tournament...

Default The Conference really needs to fix the basketball tournament...

ESPN reported the championship game had 1,473 fans, which filled only 17% of the arena. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401121627. The semi-finals only had 1,344, which was only 15% capacity. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401121626. Looking at attendance for other mid-major conferences, ours seemed far and away the lowest.

I don't see why we continue to have this tournament in New Orleans when no one is going. And it's in an arena that holds 8,785 people. That doesn't make sense.

I would love to see it move around. Try other cities and see what happens. What are your thoughts? If we want to keep it at a neutral site, what do you think would be the best city/venue?

Default Re: The Conference really needs to fix the basketball tournament...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperEagle View Post
    ESPN reported the championship game had 1,473 fans, which filled only 17% of the arena. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401121627. The semi-finals only had 1,344, which was only 15% capacity. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401121626. Looking at attendance for other mid-major conferences, ours seemed far and away the lowest.

I don't see why we continue to have this tournament in New Orleans when no one is going. And it's in an arena that holds 8,785 people. That doesn't make sense.

I would love to see it move around. Try other cities and see what happens. What are your thoughts? If we want to keep it at a neutral site, what do you think would be the best city/venue?
    IMO the tournament should be hosted by the regular season champion.

Or at least at the previous seasons champion.

There is no justification for having this tournament in front of less than 2,000 “fans”. How much money did the conference lose?

Next year it's going to look even worse. Semifinals and finals will be at the Smoothie King Center, the Pelicans arena.

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    Next year it's going to look even worse. Semifinals and finals will be at the Smoothie King Center, the Pelicans arena.
    ----
    Ouch! That'll be ugly on tv

Completely dumb move by the Sun Belt to have this at any true neutral site. And you know that's 1500 tickets sold not actual. Just have a "neutral" game hosted by the #1 seed.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

I say either have the regular season champ host it or put it in Biloxi. With sports betting in Biloxi now, I guarantee you it would attract more alumni/fans from the schools than New Orleans ever has.

7. Default Re: The Conference really needs to fix the basketball tournament...

Quote Originally Posted by Waymore38 View Post
    I say either have the regular season champ host it or put it in Biloxi. With sports betting in Biloxi now, I guarantee you it would attract more alumni/fans from the schools than New Orleans ever has.
    True, but flying into NOLA is generally a lot easier, and cheaper, than Biloxi. Pending the flights origin, obviously.

Definitely believe that regular season champion hosting the tournament would boost attendance/ticket sales. However, do I think the conference would actually consider this idea? Probably not. There must be some kind of unspoken rule in that if you expect to keep up in the division-1 basketball world, you have to have the conference tournament at a neutral site.

Quote Originally Posted by GATA2020 View Post
    Definitely believe that regular season champion hosting the tournament would boost attendance/ticket sales. However, do I think the conference would actually consider this idea? Probably not. There must be some kind of unspoken rule in that if you expect to keep up in the division-1 basketball world, you have to have the conference tournament at a neutral site.
    Conference tournaments held at #1 seed sites:
    America East
    Atlantic Sun
    Big South
    Horizon - higher seed hosts early quarters - rest neutral
    Northeast
    Patriot
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Conference tournaments held at #1 seed sites:
    America East
    Atlantic Sun
    Big South
    Horizon - higher seed hosts early quarters - rest neutral
    Northeast
    Patriot
    So...all the big time conferences.