TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Donation....

1. Default Vehicle Donation....

Anyone know if we have some way to donate an old car in a manner which would benefit athletics?

Default Re: Vehicle Donation....

I am not aware of any program. And donating your car won't get you (so I've heard) as much as you think on your taxes.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

3. Default Re: Vehicle Donation....

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    I am not aware of any program. And donating your car won't get you (so I've heard) as much as you think on your taxes.
    Unless you have a bunch of itemized deductions there will be no benefit under new tax law

4. Default Re: Vehicle Donation....

I’m not worried about the tax deduction. I’m a little surprised that there is no process for donating. They could sell cars, boats and such down at the auction and get a few hundred to a few thousand for zero effort....

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I’m not worried about the tax deduction. I’m a little surprised that there is no process for donating. They could sell cars, boats and such down at the auction and get a few hundred to a few thousand for zero effort....
    You just said zero effort, but then they'd have to pay for the title and registration would they not? Then turn around and pay the auction company their cut and deal with hoping to unload something. That doesn't sound easy to me lol.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

6. Default Re: Vehicle Donation....

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    You just said zero effort, but then they'd have to pay for the title and registration would they not? Then turn around and pay the auction company their cut and deal with hoping to unload something. That doesn't sound easy to me lol.
    I bet the auto auction would be more than happy to do a direct transfer for a small commission, then provide the proceeds to the foundation or scholarship fund, or coaches’ retention fund. I don’t think dealers pay TAVT. Could be done with absolutely zero effort. (Hell, I bet the auction would do it for free if we gave a little ad or two on the big screen.)

We gotta start being creative and stop overlooking stuff like this.

We always plead poverty, but there are many income sources still being overlooked. And really.... Couple dozen people do this each year, and you’re looking at some funded scholarships all of a sudden.

7. Default Re: Vehicle Donation....

I bet the auto auction would be more than happy to do a direct transfer for a small commission, then provide the proceeds to the foundation or scholarship fund, or coaches’ retention fund. I don’t think dealers pay TAVT. Could be done with absolutely zero effort. (Hell, I bet the auction would do it for free if we gave a little ad or two on the big screen.)

We always plead poverty, but there are many income sources still being overlooked. And really.... Couple dozen people do this each year, and you’re looking at some funded scholarships all of a sudden.
    LOL how many people are donating old cars to the GSUAF? If you donate yours, that would likely bring the grand total up to 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    LOL how many people are donating old cars to the GSUAF? If you donate yours, that would likely bring the grand total up to 1.
    Local car dealerships donate cars to the school all the time and that's how they get their sponsorship levels up- not permanent car donations per say but as weekend cars for the radio team to drive, for example.

The boy scouts (or whatever they’re called these days) and NPR both regularly solicit old car donations, so it must be worthwhile on some level. It may only make sense as a scrap metal proposition on a fully depreciated car, which I believe is around $500 or so and would avoid any title fees or commissions/selling costs. Still, $500 is $500.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Sell it yourself and donate the money. The only thing left to figure out is where to position Rust in the Eagle Fund. Would have to be below Bronze regardless of how much money just because. If it runs there are a few charities that could probably use it a lot more than the school.

*I appreciate someone wanting to donate no matter how, but reserve the right to crack jokes if there's an opportunity.