TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Option articles

Default Pistol Option articles

(ADDED TO THIS THREAD AFTER ALL THAT HAVE ADDED SUCH GREAT RESPONDES ON THE 19th)

**I ORIGINALLY STARTED THIS THREAD SO THAT I COULD LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR OFFENSE TO CORRECT MY IGNORANCE. *(I AM OVERWHELMED WITH THE RESPONCE)*. I THINK THIS POST WILL NOT ONLY HELP ME
    CATCH UP, BUT MAY ALSO AID IN THOSE THAT WOULD LIKE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR OFFENSE.

Not Many articles on what college teams use the Pistol Option I fond this one with GSU on the 2rd page. I found a few more with blocking, the run & passing game, but have to re look them up again..

http://pistoltripleoptionfootball.com/triple-option/

Problems with running the Pistol Option from the Flex Bone

https://flexboneassociationacademy.c...-disadvantage/
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Default Re: Pistol Option articles

The best way to think of DeBesse's basic triple option concept (formerly associated with Fritz) is not in terms of formation, but as being based on a "conventional" read option.

That's where it comes from, as opposed to the old PJ triple option, which is a veer play.

The read option features a zone blocking scheme that slants playside, with the dive back following that flow. The QB reads the un-blocked backside edge defender and either keeps or gives. This basic play is in almost every college team's playbook.

Basically, DeBesse/Fritz took this read option play and added a pitch man to the read side (QB's side), while drawing up some new perimeter blocking schemes (including arc blocking with a TE, which they borrowed from the Houston veer, I believe).
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash
    www.247sports.com/porkchopratings

Just hoping we see a lot more motion, and a lot less motioning guys into set position.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    That’s a great article. IMO, we looked fairly different from this in 2018.

Part of that’s due to the formations, as we used 21 personnel (2 RBs, 1 TE) more than any other grouping, I believe. Back in 2014, we used 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE) more often.

*Note that the author of the article counts the H-Back as a RB, while I’m counting him as a TE.

DeBesse seems to be more into intensifying the zone read option stuff, while Ruse/Fritz appeared to be implementing more of the familiar things that “spread option” offenses like Ohio State use (power, for example).

Thanks, Talon!
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    The best way to think of DeBesse's basic triple option concept (formerly associated with Fritz) is not in terms of formation, but as being based on a "conventional" read option.

That's where it comes from, as opposed to the old PJ triple option, which is a veer play.

The read option features a zone blocking scheme that slants playside, with the dive back following that flow. The QB reads the un-blocked backside edge defender and either keeps or gives. This basic play is in almost every college team's playbook.
    Basically, DeBesse/Fritz took this read option play and added a pitch man to the read side (QB's side), while drawing up some new perimeter blocking schemes (including arc blocking with a TE, which they borrowed from the Houston veer, I believe).
    Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    That’s a great article. IMO, we looked fairly different from this in 2018.

Nice reply Pete.

Part of that’s due to the formations, as we used 21 personnel (2 RBs, 1 TE) more than any other grouping, I believe. Back in 2014, we used 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE) more often.

*Note that the author of the article counts the H-Back as a RB, while I’m counting him as a TE.

DeBesse seems to be more into intensifying the zone read option stuff, while Ruse/Fritz appeared to be implementing more of the familiar things that “spread option” offenses like Ohio State use (power, for example).

Thanks, Talon!

Thanks again Pete for your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Just hoping we see a lot more motion, and a lot less motioning guys into set position.
    It's not as bad if you snap the ball a bit quicker.

We still need to snap the ball faster all around. Way too many times we're in position and sit way too long.

I'd also like to see us lined up more consistently with 20+ seconds left on the play clock so we're not scrambling to get into position.....and then having to wait a long time for the snap to happen.

Ruse liked to call audibles at the line. Something I don't think we do enough.

We essentially have no audible game whatsoever which is weird.

I'd like to see that change this year.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    It's not as bad if you snap the ball a bit quicker.

We still need to snap the ball faster all around. Way too many times we're in position and sit way too long.

I'd also like to see us lined up more consistently with 20+ seconds left on the play clock so we're not scrambling to get into position.....and then having to wait a long time for the snap to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Ruse liked to call audibles at the line. Something I don't think we do enough.

We essentially have no audible game whatsoever which is weird.

I'd like to see that change this year.

Yes and yes. Actually did see Werts call an audible in the spring game one time so there’s some hope there. I loved seeing the slot WR screens in the spring game but the reality is if we are going to run another Tecmo Bowl offense then that’s a disaster ready to happen.

The long pauses with the slow just boring way the offense is ran is such a disadvantage for us. I don’t see what the point is in running the slot to a set RB position and then having him set for 4 seconds before the ball is snapped.
    Last edited by half-n-half; 14th March 2019 at 06:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Going back to the articles TALON posted:

The last one is about our 2014 offense, and it does have a lot to do with our current offense.

The previous two look like brief discussions about how to run veer-based flexbone stuff out of the pistol.

Discussion topics:

The idea of a “Pistol Offense” is pretty much dead, right? I associate it with Nevada, Chris Ault, Colin Kaepernick, and saw it as more of a variation on the I than anything else. So, by “pistol” do we NOW simply mean a non-under center formation with at least one RB deeper than the QB regardless of depth? That seems to be what DeBesse means. In his terminology, the gun is when the RB is beside the QB.

What do Army and Navy (or Air Force) currently use the pistol for? I didn’t watch them much in 2018. In 2017, Army seemed to use it to run QB power with Bradshaw more than anything else. What plays do those teams run from it?

Why did PJ ditch it after 2014? I know what he said, and I tend to think he was right . . . mostly. Thoughts?
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash