TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Option articles

Default Re: Pistol Option articles

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Going back to the articles TALON posted:

The last one is about our 2014 offense, and it does have a lot to do with our current offense.

The previous two look like brief discussions about how to run veer-based flexbone stuff out of the pistol.

Discussion topics:

The idea of a “Pistol Offense” is pretty much dead, right? I associate it with Nevada, Chris Ault, Colin Kaepernick, and saw it as more of a variation on the I than anything else. So, by “pistol” do we NOW simply mean a non-under center formation with at least one RB deeper than the QB regardless of depth? That seems to be what DeBesse means. In his terminology, the gun is when the RB is beside the QB.

What do Army and Navy (or Air Force) currently use the pistol for? I didn’t watch them much in 2018. In 2017, Army seemed to use it to run QB power with Bradshaw more than anything else. What plays do those teams run from it?

Why did PJ ditch it after 2014? I know what he said, and I tend to think he was right . . . mostly. Thoughts?
    He references the Pistol specifically in his clinic video. He also talks about how the mesh in the Pistol is more difficult than the standard mesh because the RB is coming from directly behind the QB so the QB's mechanics have to be changed to get himself out of the lane. Pistol is more in reference to the RB being directly behind the QB, not just deeper.

I don't think there was really ever such a thing as a "Pistol Offense," any more than there was a "Flexbone Offense."

Nevada should have the same argument as us that the offense was something more than just a formation.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    He references the Pistol specifically in his clinic video. He also talks about how the mesh in the Pistol is more difficult than the standard mesh because the RB is coming from directly behind the QB so the QB's mechanics have to be changed to get himself out of the lane. Pistol is more in reference to the RB being directly behind the QB, not just deeper.

I don't think there was really ever such a thing as a "Pistol Offense," any more than there was a "Flexbone Offense."

Nevada should have the same argument as us that the offense was something more than just a formation.
    I agree about the pistol. It was just the base fornation in Nevada's offense. As a shallow gun snap, you hardly see it anymore.

I was almost positive that the clips DeBesse was showing in the clinic when he made the comment (which is what I was talking about) had the RB behind the QB but offset.

It's harder to get a clean mesh either way. Since (in the zone read option) the QB and RB are crossing paths in the mesh, anything but a shotgun formation (in which they're basically standing side-by-side) creates extra difficulties.

I'm probably wrong about what he said during the clinic.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Ruse liked to call audibles at the line. Something I don't think we do enough.

We essentially have no audible game whatsoever which is weird.

I'd like to see that change this year.
    One of the things I'd like to change is the teams who line up in a formation, get set, maybe call a snap count and then everyone stands up and looks to the sideline. If a player is "set" then they shouldn't be able to move at all IMO with the exception of 1 player off the line who goes in motion. Having played both OL and DL, I can tell you that if an OL was set and then stood up, I'd be all over getting across the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

I would think having the true Pistol set (RB stacked behind the QB) would be a more ideal formation for an inside zone - QB can receive snap, pivot and take drop step to "backside" and have RB receive handoff running toward the line of scrimmage, allowing Qb to read the backside play and see whats happening, whereas the Outside zone would be easier from the shotgun, with the RB able to cross the Qb's face running the zone stretch playside.

I've never played QB or RB but I have mastered this offense on NCAA 14 so come at me, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    I would think having the true Pistol set (RB stacked behind the QB) would be a more ideal formation for an inside zone - QB can receive snap, pivot and take drop step to "backside" and have RB receive handoff running toward the line of scrimmage, allowing Qb to read the backside play and see whats happening, whereas the Outside zone would be easier from the shotgun, with the RB able to cross the Qb's face running the zone stretch playside.
    But they cross one another’s faces on an IZ read, too. The trick to doing that play right (and everything that builds off of it in our offense) is to create separation between the play-side and the read-side as quickly/explosively as possible. From directly behind the QB, the RB has to get through the mesh AND cut hard to the play-side.

So, whenever the RB is behind the QB (offset or not), the mesh theoretically requires much more precision to execute. It creates a similar problem as running a dive read from the flex—lots of moving parts that can’t really see one another. At least in a basic dive mesh from the flex (talking about veer at this point), both the QB and the RB are going to the play-side.

From the gun, you can mesh before you start sprinting. I’m guessing that’s why most offenses—even those who focus on the pass—can run the IZ read without spending a whole lot of time on option mechanics.
    Last edited by pete4256; 15th March 2019 at 09:07 AM.
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash
    www.247sports.com/porkchopratings

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    One of the things I'd like to change is the teams who line up in a formation, get set, maybe call a snap count and then everyone stands up and looks to the sideline. If a player is "set" then they shouldn't be able to move at all IMO with the exception of 1 player off the line who goes in motion. Having played both OL and DL, I can tell you that if an OL was set and then stood up, I'd be all over getting across the line.
    I always had a hard time grasping how this practice was allowable, as well. That, and all the 'waggling' of the ball by the center, looking between his legs, popping back up, then looking again, etc. I asked our resident official (GSUAlumniEagle, I think?) and he basically said 'movement' is not in and of itself prohibited, but anything that qualified as 'simulating a snap' was not allowed.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

I’m pretty sure if an OL is set in a 3 point stance they can’t stand up. Also I don’t think an OL can move their feet once they are set and standing up. I could be wrong on that though.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

8. Default Re: Pistol Option articles

There are lots of summaries available out there:

https://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...nt-rise-011517

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...-option-pistol

I think this is the best one overall based on detail and clarity: https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2...uthern-offense

Of course you can always just buy Debesse's playbook for $40: http://coacheschoice.com/the-modern-...ys-on-offense/
    A successful program requires quality coaches. Help us keep ours.
    https://give.gseagles.com/campaign/m...llenge/c170354

They are in two point stances when they do that. If they were in a three point stance, it is a flag.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
    Of course you can always just buy Debesse's playbook for $40: http://coacheschoice.com/the-modern-...ys-on-offense/
    Am I going mad, or is that a picture of Lee Chapple and Adam Urbano meshing on the cover?
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash
    www.247sports.com/porkchopratings