TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tookie SunBelt Player of the Year

Default Re: Tookie SunBelt Player of the Year

There are some coaches you want to run through walls for and some you just want to slap.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    McKinnon was never recognized as the single best player in the entire division for a single year like Foster was. Not saying that should be the determining factor but the only other guy to do that at GS does have his number retired.

For the record, I don't think Foster's number should be retired.
    I am in agreement on this.

There is a difference in being inducted in a school's HOF (like GS) and having a number retired permanently. To me the latter is a far higher bar than the former. Foster and McKinnon were both great players, but neither was transformational like Ham or Peterson, who are in College Football HOF. Brown may yet get to that level by going off in the next month or so. We'll see, but IMO he's not there yet because of not winning the conference or NCAA tournament games. Let's hope he puts this issue to bed by going nuts and leading a bunch of big wins.

Foster should absolutely have his jersey retired. He won the Payton, and had one of the best single season’s in GSU history. It’s not his fault his last two years were under two horrible coaches.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by blueballs View Post

There is a difference in being inducted in a school's HOF (like GS) and having a number retired permanently. To me the latter is a far higher bar than the former. Foster and McKinnon were both great players, but neither was transformational like Ham or Peterson, who are in College Football HOF. Brown may yet get to that level by going off in the next month or so. We'll see, but IMO he's not there yet because of not winning the conference or NCAA tournament games. Let's hope he puts this issue to bed by going nuts and leading a bunch of big wins.
    The big question is how much should team accomplishments weigh into whether or not to retire a player's number? On the one hand I don't think it's fair to a judge a player if a team doesn't reach some arbitrary benchmark.

On the other hand, App State (for example) has Dexter Coakley's number retried (retired it after his NFL career) but didn't retire Armanti Edwards' number, even though there's no question which player impacted the program more. That's taking it too far the other way.

With Tookie, you have both a guy who is the all-time leading scorer and a guy that I'd argue played a part in bringing life back to a program that was reeling from NCAA sanctions and a disastrous hire. To me he checks both boxes no matter what he might do in Europe or in his last tournament.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 12th March 2019 at 03:38 PM.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

5. Default Re: Tookie SunBelt Player of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    The big question is how much should team accomplishments weigh into whether or not to retire a player's number? On the one hand I don't think it's fair to a judge a player if a team doesn't reach some arbitrary benchmark.

On the other hand, App State (for example) has Dexter Coakley's number retried (retired it after his NFL career) but didn't retire Armanti Edwards' number, even though there's no question which player impacted the program more. That's taking it too far the other way.

With Tookie, you have both a guy who is the all-time leading scorer and a guy that I'd argue played a part in bringing life back to a program that was reeling from NCAA sanctions and a disastrous hire. To me he checks both boxes no matter what he might do in Europe or in his last tournament.
    Great honor, and well deserved for Tookie. Will root for him to have a nice professional career.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Foster should absolutely have his jersey retired. He won the Payton, and had one of the best single season’s in GSU history. It’s not his fault his last two years were under two horrible coaches.
    Some schools build statues for any national player of the year award and I want to say some will retire that number too.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post

Trust me AE's number will be retired in due time. First ever 2 time Payton winner, 4? time All American, and 3? national championships. Sometimes schools wait years to retire numbers. Heck Tom Brady only went back to Michigan for the first time ever just a few years ago after Harbaugh was hired. He was all conference I believe twice but not a Heisman winner but you know Michigan worships the ground he walks on.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Speaking of Foster having bad coaches... Any way (other than injury) Brieda's number isn't retired if he'd had a third year with Fritz?

Quote Originally Posted by Panthers View Post
    Great honor, and well deserved for Tookie. Will root for him to have a nice professional career.
    Thanks Panthers, he's been a good one on and off the court. He also has a good friendly competitive relationship with your #2 and #15. That's nice to see, great players going at each other but at the end of the day remain buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Roger Inman View Post
    Speaking of Foster having bad coaches... Any way (other than injury) Brieda's number isn't retired if he'd had a third year with Fritz?
    He would've needed about 2300 yards and almost 30 TD's just to get to second place on both career lists so probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by blueballs View Post

Hall of Fame should go without saying.

Jersey? For reference, how many basketball jerseys have we retired? How does Tookie stack up?
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose