TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Coach Kip Drown Not Retained by Georgia Southern

Default Re: Coach Kip Drown Not Retained by Georgia Southern

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    When I think of TK making a coaching hire........it reminds me of a monkey throwing darts at the business section of a newspaper to pick his investments.
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEX2 View Post
    Yep.
    Who would you guys hire?
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Who would you guys hire?
    Obviously one of the many star coaches who excel at turning historically unremarkable women's basketball programs into powerhouses for less pay than managing a Walmart. I mean, really the problem is narrowing it down to just one.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Who would you guys hire?
    I don't have a name and I don't have an opinion on this hire. I just hope it's a good hire.

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    I don't have a name and I don't have an opinion on this hire. I just hope it's a good hire.
    +1, me too. She knows defense, lets hope she can get all these returning players to buy in and work their butts off defensively. If they are capable to play a lick of defense, IMO we could go .500 in SB next year.

The question is she bring her husband along with her.

https://csucougars.com/coaches.aspx?rc=216&path=wbball

https://csucougars.com/coaches.aspx?rc=215&path=wbball

If you check you will see that her husband has long been along for the ride at all 3 of her head coaching jobs. Also her only played her last year at Armstrong. Played her first 3 years at Fort Valley.
    "Once and Eagle Always and Eagle"
    Valley, Alabama
    Fan of Erk since the 70's, Eagle Scout 1978, Georgia Southern Fan since 2009

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    +1, me too. She knows defense, lets hope she can get all these returning players to buy in and work their butts off defensively. If they are capable to play a lick of defense, IMO we could go .500 in SB next year.
    I hope you're spot on Garns. She's going to have to push last year's team because we didn't have any seniors so the entire roster will be back (2019-20 roster page is posted). Not much flexibility unless someone transfers out.

7. Default Re: Coach Kip Drown Not Retained by Georgia Southern

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    Kip actually has deep Georgia ties and married a Dublin girl. This new coach has ties to Savannah and what is now GS Savannah campus. Yep, I think Basketball in general is leaning more toward Savannah and I am a die hard Eagle but I dint see that as a bad thing. Savannah is a basketball town, more high school now but could embrace high level college basketball and lead to generating more support. With the new arena they are building I could see Savannah as being potential for hosting some major college programs on a home and home basis. I’m sure that’s being bantered about. Bus GS students to Savannah from Statesboro. I have no inside info and this is me looking at it from the outside but Statesboro not supporting the Basketball program as it should be supported may lose that program to a place that possibly will. I don’t think all games would be in Savannah but say a UNC or FSU would do a home and home with us and play in the new arena in Savannah I’m all in.! GATA
    Rusty got some good home and homes back in the day, like Alabama, for one.

8. Default Re: Coach Kip Drown Not Retained by Georgia Southern

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Funny, Tennessee AD was fired for not "winning enough" too. Now he fires a HC with outstanding record.
    Not by their standards.

9. Default Re: Coach Kip Drown Not Retained by Georgia Southern

Since I'm out of the Statesboro Herald coverage area and can't run to the rack to get a copy, I looked online for any mention of Drown getting shown the door and Howard getting hired.
    Unless I missed something, I didn't see it.
    I would liked to have seen a story or something - besides an AMR release - if that exists.

My wife works at Columbus State and is a graduate of CSU, she follows the athletics program there closely and we attend many of the mens and womens basketball games. Coach Howard is a good coach and will produce a technically sound team and his a solid person. Her best teams at CSU usually had a superior athlete and many role players that she rotated. Her teams also tend to play well at tournament time (such as this year when her best player was slowed by injury most of the year but was better for the Conference Tournament and played much better than the regular season) and she has had her teams in a couple of DIVII National Tournaments. This is a solid hire as far as basketball skills and coaching.
    "Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?... No, Who is with me?" Bluto

"We'll win one we should have lost, and lose one we should have won, surprise a OOC FBS opponent or two, win the SBC Championship and get our third bowl win" Me