TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 14 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Blue-White Game Thread

Default 2019 Blue-White Game Thread

My Spring Game Preview/Observations from Scrimmages and Practice:

1. OL blocking seems to be better. Our backs are definitely getting between the tackles more easily and since we have a lot of the same personnel on the defensive front seven I take this as a good sign. The perimeter blocking compared to last Spring and last August is a lot better, too.

2. Justin Tomlin is not only the clear #2, he seems to be catching up with Werts. I think there's a real possibility of having a QB 1A and QB 1B by August. He is what he appears to be on his high school film in terms of athleticism and arm talent and seems comfortable with things. He has made some good decisions with defenders getting in his face quickly and has broken off some nice runs on the perimeter in scrimmages.

3. Najee Thompson can fly and can catch the ball like a DI receiver should be able to. He's been playing with the 2s, but hopefully we will find a way to get him on the field even if he plays slot.

4. Running back is a log jam right now. JD King seems (at least to me) like he's the ideal back for this offense and might be the best of the bunch. Cunningham doesn't look like he's got a second gear to keep from getting caught from behind but I think he'll be a weapon but he's got the acceleration to get to a hole quickly and has some strength, too.

5. Reynard Ellis (the guy from Furman) has looked good. He's a guy that seems to have good instincts that makes him play faster than his speed. I can also see why Scot Sloan has mentioned Ferguson as a guy to watch. I think the inside linebacker position will be a good bit better this year.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

2. Default Re: 2019 Blue-White Game Thread

I'm very excited to watch Najee Thompson this season. I've been rooting for him since he was being recruited.

Default Re: 2019 Blue-White Game Thread

I can't wait to watch everybody freak out and talk about our offense has regressed if we don't score 30 points on ourselves. haha

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post

1. OL blocking seems to be better. Our backs are definitely getting between the tackles more easily and since we have a lot of the same personnel on the defensive front seven I take this as a good sign. The perimeter blocking compared to last Spring and last August is a lot better, too.

2. Justin Tomlin is not only the clear #2, he seems to be catching up with Werts. I think there's a real possibility of having a QB 1A and QB 1B by August. He is what he appears to be on his high school film in terms of athleticism and arm talent and seems comfortable with things. He has made some good decisions with defenders getting in his face quickly and has broken off some nice runs on the perimeter in scrimmages.

3. Najee Thompson can fly and can catch the ball like a DI receiver should be able to. He's been playing with the 2s, but hopefully we will find a way to get him on the field even if he plays slot.

4. Running back is a log jam right now. JD King seems (at least to me) like he's the ideal back for this offense and might be the best of the bunch. Cunningham doesn't look like he's got a second gear to keep from getting caught from behind but I think he'll be a weapon but he's got the acceleration to get to a hole quickly and has some strength, too.

5. Reynard Ellis (the guy from Furman) has looked good. He's a guy that seems to have good instincts that makes him play faster than his speed. I can also see why Scot Sloan has mentioned Ferguson as a guy to watch. I think the inside linebacker position will be a good bit better this year.
    Thanks for the information! A lot of what you just said sounds awesome for next season! The only question I have now is how do our safeties look?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post

Thank you for the info! I am glad to hear about Tomlin’s improvement, but with what Shai did for us last year and how this will be his 3rd season running the offense I think the only way Tomlin gets to see the field is if an injury occurs. Having a solid backup is a nice luxury tho!

Quote Originally Posted by GSUcoastie09 View Post
    Thank you for the info! I am glad to hear about Tomlin’s improvement, but with what Shai did for us last year and how this will be his 3rd season running the offense I think the only way Tomlin gets to see the field is if an injury occurs. Having a solid backup is a nice luxury tho!
    +1, Werts is the man, but like you said, having a solid backup makes me sleep sounder.

If Thompson can play slot, I have no worries about the offense. That gets a burner on the field with Werts, Kennedy, and hopefully Speedy in a two or three back set. That will give us the breakaway speed offensively we haven’t had since 2016.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Based on what I saw in the first scrimmage and his Hs film and 2nd scrimmage stats Thompson is going to see the field a good bit this year. If Kennedy stays at RB full time then I could easily see Thompson winning the starting job in the slot.

As for the QB situation, I don’t foresee anybody taking the job away from Werts but at the same time I don’t think he’s done nearly enough to make me think there is no way anybody can do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

9. Default Re: 2019 Blue-White Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GSUcoastie09 View Post
    A backup would be great!

Hopefully Werts stays healthy, but maybe we can get tomlin a little playing time when we are up by 30 on LSU

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    A backup would be great!

Hopefully Werts stays healthy, but maybe we can get tomlin a little playing time when we are up by 30 on LSU
    Up 50.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"