TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: MBB vs Ga St

Default Re: MBB vs Ga St

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    So you're saying the formula for success is finding a coach who isn't consistent enough to get hired by a program with deeper pockets but has great seasons every once in a while?

It's not like they're winning SoCon championships with several different coaches. They've had Young since 2002, and he had a 90-117 record his first 7 seasons with 4 losing seasons. If we had a coach do that badly and let him stick around that long would you accuse TK of not caring about basketball?
    Wofford didn't care about basketball, they just got lucky. Yep,,,,,,,I guess you wish we still had CY and TS

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgsu2003 View Post
    My roommate and I started the hooligans back in 2002/2003. Check out your statesboro herald archives if you can from January 30, 2003. Scott Garner did a full page story on us. We also did radio spots and handed out fliers all over campus promoting games. All we did was work with the marketing dept because we loved college basketball and saw the impact a packed hanner had on opposing teams. I've watched all our games on TV this year and this generation is just different now. I have a hard time accepting it but technology rules their world. They care more about the latest update on their phone than the constant excitement of a college basketball game. I hope I'm wrong but I see this trend getting even worse in the future. It just takes a couple of good leaders to jump start the hooligans but you need tons of followers. Good luck to you all and please take CCEAGLE up on his offer.
    Eh, the Hooligans have been around since the mid 80's fwiw ... maybe restarted in the 2002 era ... would have had to since I think Polinsky-ball killed a lot

There is a foundation there that can be tapped into ... at least 10-15 of the students in our last game were going bonkers when the A-State head coach was launching f-bombs at them.

I expect a few will be there to chirp at Hunter.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

But we know that they can't sit in the Ron Hunter Memorial Rows.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    The number one factor that stifles student involvement is Hanner’s intimate atmosphere. Nobody wants to be the one to stand out. Without a core group of students staying involved in the game, all it takes is one student the sit down before mob mentality kicks in and they all do. Doesn’t help that the easily visible season ticket section across the court also sit down the entire game.
    This makes not one lick of sense.

The intimate factor is precisely what allows the Hooligans to have the chance to be impactful.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

I agree that it is easier to win with money, tradition, etc. but it can be done. Most of us understand that, but a few posters love to use those things as excuses.

The SoCon was 4 strong/good teams and the other are weak, but that doesn't take away from Wofford season. They beat Furman, ETSU and Greensboro each twice this year.
    Wofford has been to the NCAA tournament 4 out of the last nine years, if the make it this year that would be 5 out of the last 10 They are no one hit wonder. You give Coach Young a special/star player and he will build a team around them.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    For every one of those examples how many examples would you say their are of successful programs that do pay a Coach well, have nice facilities or adequate budget? 10? 20? 50? 100?

Congrats to Wofford on a great season, but let’s face it, they have just been capitalising on a weak SoCon that has just 3 other programs over .500. In fact, I think they have beaten a total of just 4 D1 teams over .500 all season.
    I agree that it is easier to win with money, tradition, etc. but it can be done. Most of us understand that, but a few posters love to use those things as excuses.

The SoCon was 4 strong/good teams and the other are weak, but that doesn't take away from Wofford season. They beat Furman, ETSU and Greensboro each twice this year.
    Wofford has been to the NCAA tournament 4 out of the last nine years, if the make it this year that would be 5 out of the last 10 They are no one hit wonder. You give Coach Young a special/star player and he will build a team around them.

7. Default Re: MBB vs Ga St

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    This makes not one lick of sense.

The intimate factor is precisely what allows the Hooligans to have the chance to be impactful.
    Read it again. I said without a core group of students like the Hooligans, no one wants to be the only one sticking out especially in an arena where everyone can see you

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post

Okay, so tell me what you think the formula is for success in basketball when you have a sub-par facility and a completely unremarkable budget. There are literally hundreds of DI programs trying to figure that out that would like to know that and only a few you can point to as exemplary, and one is a coach who has about the same win percentage as CMB has here. And he has one top-25 rankings in 17 seasons. How do you CMB couldn't do that one time if he had that many seasons in the Sun Belt?
    Last edited by BillyBob; 7th March 2019 at 12:16 PM.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Read it again. I said without a core group of students like the Hooligans, no one wants to be the only one sticking out especially in an arena where everyone can see you
    Yet they'd have no problem going viral where millions of people could see it.

This stems back to a problem of kids these days not being able to engage with people the way former generations did.

nm
    Bleu (formerly Bcube) in the non cyber world is Bill Bates.