TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A discussion between KJ & TALON in upgrading the schedule in 2-3 years

Default A discussion between KJ & TALON in upgrading the schedule in 2-3 years

TALON -If GSU improves do you think that GSU should up it's schedule? Excluding NDSU.

KJ-Yes, the contracts that the conference sign with the bowls REQUIRE them to take team from that conference. Just like we are tied to our 5 bowls, other conferences are tied to their bowls. The bowls cannot just invite whoever they want.

KJ-We don't need two P5s because the trade off for that second $1M is most likely a second loss. It is also going to be an away game, which makes us lose the money gained from a home game and would mean that we would only potentially have 4 or 5 home games depending on how our G5 games that year are set up. And P5's not in the Top 20 are not scheduling us except in VERY rare cases.

KJ-The AAC teams are constantly contacted, and do continually reject us. You think we should "consider" UCF and USF for a H&H? Wow, what a novel idea. Who would have ever thunk it? You are not breaking any new ground here. Do you think our AD doesn't know that an AAC team would be good to have on the schedule? Do you think every other G5 isn't attempting the same thing?

TALON - I'm not breaking new ground. Many GSU fans would like to play UCF & USF again.

TALON - I'm sure you know that we have been contacting the AAC schools for a game, but I ask politely -
    ((HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS AND WHICH TEAMS WERE CONTACTED?))
    I am most interested in UCF & USF, but have the lower ranked AAC also been contacted? I think we may be able to get a home & home with both UCF and USF. The have played teams with less than 27,000 fans at away games. Other mid to low ranked AAC teams may also give us a home & home.

KJ-You say you are giving up on the NDSU thing (I doubt it) and then double down on asinine scheduling ideas by saying lets play 2 P5's per year. What part of wins are the only important thing do you not understand? We are a 5 year old FBS team in a conference that has had two teams spend a grand total of one week each in the Top 25 in the history of our conference. We don't need style points yet. We need wins, and as many as we can get, against whoever we can get them from. Once we start winning more and getting ranked in the top 25 consistently, then we can worry about strength of schedule and style points. No one knows or cares who Boise played to get to their big bowl wins. That should be and is our best strategy to follow.[/QUOTE]

****TALON -I said that I would bring up the NDSU game again but not this season.

TALON - There are plenty of low ranked P5 teams that GSU could beat for a $ million. As you know in every conference you have the top 4, the mid & low levels. One mid or high ranked P5 and a low level P5. If GSU does well the next 2 years maybe getting a low level P5 would be hard to get. GSU does need the money.

** Yes the income is needed at GSU. How much money do G5s pay GSU when GSU has to travel to their stadium?

You don't think that after the next 2 seasons GSU couldn't take a mid to low level P5 and beat them? As I said pick 2 G5 teams for a home and home. one G5 at a mid to high level and 1 low level G5 instead of an FCS to start the year for a tune up with. *Remember I'm talking 2 seasons off. If GSU falls apart again over the next 2 seasons the no we dont need to upgrade the schedule.

Like I said to KJ, I'm looking ahead for 2 seasons down the road. After GSU makes the Pistol Option a scoring machine again & our defense keeps getting better. There is no reason for GSU not to win against a low level P5 team, if we can get that game. We took GT & Carolina to there limits and forced Georgia into overtime. If our new HC, staff and new recruits keep on improving we should be able to beat a mid to low level P5 and the same with 2 G5s in a home and home. GSU makes money and WINS!

I dont mind playing Minnesota much but also playing LSU in the same season worries me after a first year comeback. Again I'm talking an up grade 2 seasons from now after seen improvement .

To Eagle Wrath -Like I said to KJ, I'm looking ahead for 2 seasons down the road. After GSU makes the Pistol Option a scoring machine again & our defense keeps getting better. There is no reason for GSU not to win against a low level P5 team, if we can get that game. We took GT & Carolina to there limits and forced Georgia into overtime. If our new HC, staff and new recruits keep on improving we should be able to beat a mid to low level P5 and the same with 2 G5s in a home and home. GSU makes money and WINS!

I dont mind playing Minnesota much but also playing LSU in the same season worries me after a first year comeback. Again I'm talking an up grade 2 seasons from now after seen improvement .
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Default Re: A discussion between KJ & TALON in upgrading the schedule in 2-3 years

Let's keep this discussion in TalonTalk.

K thanks.

Default Re: A discussion between KJ & TALON in upgrading the schedule in 2-3 years

Why, no mention of an FCS team like NDSU was mentioned. It is a good question that belongs on the FL

Give it up already.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

We weren't debating it enough on one thread, so you a to make a THIRD one?!?!? You making multiple threads about the same thing is not going to magically make people respond in your favor. Its going to make them ignore it more than they already have.

I'll reply ONCE and then hope this thread disappears to the bottom of the list where it belongs.

I'm all for having the best schedule that we can have as long as it balances a couple things: 1) wins are more important than ANYTHING ELSE right now, 2) we do not need to play two P5 money games a year anymore. If we get a Wake or Vandy or someone like that that actually agrees to play us, then that's a different animal and would be great. I just don't see it happening in our current situation. 3) we need minimum 6 home games per year 4) we need to offset the money game with an easy FCS game, which also helps with the home game number, 5) we don't need to do any P5 2 for 1's unless they pay us the fair market value for the second away game.

As for the "I'm talking about 2-3 years down the road when we are an offensive machine" comments, schedules are done 4-5 years in advance so nothing that is discussed is for current or next year. It's all in the future. We my be good, we may be great, ad we may be coming off of a season where we just lost our coach again. It's all a crap shoot and we just need to schedule in a way that gives us the best possibility to get as many wins as possible.

You act like scheduling is so easy and all we have to do is "want" to play a good team and it magically happens. I'd love to play UCF or USF or Memphis or ECU or any H&H with an east coast G5 that will move the meter. But they have to "want" to play us too. Regardless of how great WE think we are and how much WE think other teams should "want" to play us, the reality is that we are an FBS toddler with a small stadium, who plays in what is perceived to be a weak conference. We need to take whatever games we can get right now and win as many as we possibly can. We need to make a bigger name for ourselves so we can become more attractive to the other teams that we "want" to play. Then, WE will be the team that the others "want" to play.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    We weren't debating it enough on one thread, so you a to make a THIRD one?!?!?

TALON- The 2 threads I posted were directly about adding NDSU to GSUs schedule in 2-3 years. Then it wondered to no NDSU and future schedules that added money and raised our strength of schedule.

I'll reply ONCE and then hope this thread disappears to the bottom of the list where it belongs.

TALON-I bet you do

I'm all for having the best schedule that we can have as long as it balances a couple things: 1) wins are more important than ANYTHING ELSE right now, 2) we do not need to play two P5 money games a year anymore.

TALON- GSU needs the money just like all the collages. As you know helps all the sports programs. Many Collage programs are in the red.

If we get a Wake or Vandy or someone like that that actually agrees to play us, then that's a different animal and would be great.

TALON - Wake & Vandy would be fine with me. I agree with that totally! As I said earlier there are plenty of low level P5s that we could play, beat and add money to the program.
    There are also plenty of low and mid range G5s for home and home games that we should be able to beat.

I just don't see it happening in our current situation.

TALON - WHY???

5) we don't need to do any P5 2 for 1's unless they pay us the fair market value for the second away game.

TALON - agreed

As for the "I'm talking about 2-3 years down the road when we are an offensive machine" comments, schedules are done 4-5 years in advance so nothing that is discussed is for current or next year. It's all in the future. We my be good, we may be great, ad we may be coming off of a season where we just lost our coach again.
    You act like scheduling is so easy and all we have to do is "want" to play a good team and it magically happens. I'd love to play UCF or USF or Memphis or ECU or any H&H with an east coast G5 that will move the meter. But they have to "want" to play us too. Regardless of how great WE think we are and how much WE think other teams should "want" to play us, the reality is that we are an FBS toddler with a small stadium, who plays in what is perceived to be a weak conference. We need to take whatever games we can get right now and win as many as we possibly can. We need to make a bigger name for ourselves so we can become more attractive to the other teams that we "want" to play. Then, WE will be the team that the others "want" to play.
    TALON - Your right, we try to schedule 2-3 years in advance. We may be Great, good or bad. you have to roll the dice in that point. I'm hoping that we see a great improvement next year & If we improve again like we did last year then we should be looking at improving the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    Give it up already.
    NDSU is not the topic on this thread. What did you want me to give up on.

8. Default Re: A discussion between KJ & TALON in upgrading the schedule in 2-3 years

Keep it up Talon. I'm enjoying your take.
    “When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”
    A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Quote Originally Posted by elmothemoose View Post
    Keep it up Talon. I'm enjoying your take.
    EM, what part of my take are you enjoying?

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    1) wins are more important than ANYTHING ELSE right now
    This

We need to try to win 10+ games a year and break into the tallest midget discussion before we can aspire to be the tallest anything else.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose