TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: our song

Default Re: our song

Quote Originally Posted by GSU2011fan View Post
    Im curious the reaction from the SGA. I'm glad the article gave a full version of the story and provided any insight. Looks like the GA is still as good as ever.
    I sent an email to the GA suggesting a follow up with the Armstrong campus students to find out what part of the lyrics they are opposed to or if they were just angry in general. I pointed out how the lyrics pay homage to the entire region and nothing calls out Statesboro. We will see if they do a follow up story but they did respond thanking me for the input.

Alma Maters, Ive never been a fan of ANY Alma Mater, never heard a "catchy" one in my life and they are always a stanza too long(snore), then duck!

Quote Originally Posted by gwinnetteagle88 View Post
    I sent an email to the GA suggesting a follow up with the Armstrong campus students to find out what part of the lyrics they are opposed to or if they were just angry in general. I pointed out how the lyrics pay homage to the entire region and nothing calls out Statesboro. We will see if they do a follow up story but they did respond thanking me for the input.
    If they do, then you just helped give this "issue" some legs that it didn't have. I mean, it's two students we're talking about here. Outside of them and the people posting on this thread, I'd wager that no one else even gave it a second glance.

Y'all are acting like the BOR had some press conference on the subject that was covered by the AJC.

Just let it die on the vine, which it likely already has.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Next thing you know, they will say that Georgia Southern University should be changed to something stupid like the University of South Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by kokoeagle View Post
    Next thing you know, they will say that Georgia Southern University should be changed to something stupid like the University of South Georgia.
    Or the University of South Georgia at Statesboro. 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    As a conspiracy theory, GS will become more centered in Savannah in the coming years. Sports, including football, will eventually relocate there. Statesboro will eventually become a satellite campus. Nothing is sacred anymore.
    I have a soft spot for conspiracy theories, but in order to move sports to Savannah, it would take MILLIONS of dollars to so. We just announced a 5 Million renovation project to the "Old Lady" Hanner Fieldhouse. We've put millions of dollars into Paulson as well. Where would the money come from to build the Division I arenas and stadiums in Savannah?
    Josiah McDaniel
    B.S. in Journalism, 2003
    Statesboro, GA
    "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." --I Corinthians 13:11

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBleedsBlue View Post
    I have a soft spot for conspiracy theories, but in order to move sports to Savannah, it would take MILLIONS of dollars to so. We just announced a 5 Million renovation project to the "Old Lady" Hanner Fieldhouse. We've put millions of dollars into Paulson as well. Where would the money come from to build the Division I arenas and stadiums in Savannah?
    At the end of the day closer to a billion if you include athletics and academics. State is building a $50M basketball arena in today's dollars. In 5 years that will be $80M. A new football stadium? At least $200M, but then again in a few years add up the change in costs, then $300M. Then housing for 25,000 students, new buildings, which are all 100% footed by tax dollars/BOR.

EDIT: Make that several billion. Cost of a 1200 person dorm? $300M.
    https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20170708/documents-show-b-cus-new-dorm-will-cost-school-306-million

So some quick math on building dorms/apartments in Savannah for let's say 15,000 = $3.75B. A new building for each college is easily $25M each. New library?
    Last edited by 1peatfor7; 15th February 2019 at 11:19 PM.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

The sky is falling, the sky is falling ! They will never put that kind of money into Savannah for athletics

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBleedsBlue View Post
    I’m sure nothing will happen anytime soon and never all at once. It’ll be a slow transition. Why are we spending 5m on Hanner instead of using that money to drop in a brand new state of the art facility? Conspiracy theory says it’s a bandaid to keep us happy for a few years. Why haven’t we added the home side upper deck at Paulson? Conspiracy theory says we did just enough to satisfy the natives when we transitioned to FBS. Another part of the theory suggests Savannah has many big $ donors that want it all in Savannah before the pocketbooks open. Maybe a few of the big boys have worked under the table with the BOR offering $$$ to make this happen. It’d mean more tourist dollars, it’d mean a lot of the land that’s being abandoned around Armstrong(it some other area) gets filled up since Savannah is moving out to the Pooler, Rincon, etc. areas. Again, all conspiracy theory.

The Alma Mater should not change. It reflects our history. However... I see no reason a 2nd verse couldn't be drafted. Something about oak trees, triumphs and trials, memories. That could work right?