TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring practice

Default Re: Spring practice

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    “Based on what he did in the fall, he’s definitely a focal point for us. He’s a guy who we definitely have to be able to get the ball to X number of times.”

I feel like somebody around her has been saying that about Kennedy for a year now. Just can’t put my finger on who it was.
    You mean like literally every fan with eyes?

You were just the only one going on and on about how bad a job Debesse was doing of getting Kennedy the ball. You and Skins.

10-3, bowl win. Yep, a TON of mistakes by this coaching staff.

I'd like to see more of Speedy too but he hasn't shown the durability required to get a majority of carries.

He had a chance to show outwhen Fields was on the bench and came up gimpy on his first carry.

We do need to find a way to get his speed more involved though.

4. Default Re: Spring practice

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I'd like to see more of Speedy too but he hasn't shown the durability required to get a majority of carries.

He had a chance to show outwhen Fields was on the bench and came up gimpy on his first carry.

I like him better at slot and as returner.

We have a couple of much larger guys who should be good at RB.

Maybe DeBeese is planning on lining Kennedy and Wright up a lot. Could be a difficult thing to defend against speed/size.

If werts makes the right reads, that actually could be nasty.

(I just hope Kennedy doesn’t get hurt. He is by far the most dynamic player we have had at a non-QB position.)

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I like him better at slot and as returner.
    Speedy?

Speedy is a RB, not a wing. Then again, one could have said the same thing about Mark Myers.

I like getting Kennedy at RB (I found DeBesse’s comment about his competitiveness/desire to have the ball VERY interesting), but it adds to an already-existing logjam. I’m almost hoping King isn’t eligible, just so Speedy, Walker, and Cunningham get a fair shake at RB. Logan Wright should get 400-500 snaps there in 2019. He got about 300 last year.

Kennedy can catch AND annihilate people taking pitches downhill, which is ideal for slot. But playing him there is definitely a luxury for a team looking break more big plays. We can replace his receiving production at slot, but it’s gonna be hard to find another player who can take pitches as effectively AND force the defense to account for the threat of him doing so.

It would be much easier to move Kennedy to RB full time if Bargnare and Ford hadn’t bailed. I’m rooting for Malik Murray, who made a couple of BIG catches in 2018. Here’s also where I advocate moving Dexter Carter to slot for a record third-straight offseason.
    Last edited by pete4256; 18th February 2019 at 02:58 PM.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post

Yep. The speed is real, and will play in college. You could even see it between the tackles at TxSt.

He’s somewhere between Jayson Foster, Mark Myers, and Chris Wright—let’s hope closer to the first two, just so he can handle enough of a load to make us a lot better.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    First of all, after I hit “post reply” I thought “Oh, gosh. I really put it on a tee with that comment. The jokes are going to write themselves.”

. . . but I was talking about muscle mass. Now that you mention it, he’s not especially long-legged.

I’ll go ahead and say again that I’m looking for big things out of Logan Wright going forward.
    Looking back at the film, he’s definitely short-legged. But the “tiny feet” I noted may have been due to the black shoes he wore down the stretch.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    We need to move Thompson to offense to either WR or slot. Speedy needs a ton of touches at RB. What I really want to see is more motion at the snap. Need to get more pitches out to the RBs, slots, and even WR. Never punt on fourth and two or less.
    I think Thompson’s been nowhere but WR and slot since fall camp 2018.

Since he’s never been listed as anything other than WR, it’s hard to say whether he’s playing there or at slot this spring (where he played after Bargnare left). I have a hard time seeing him somewhere besides slot, though, as we’ve only got Malik Murray listed at the position. I KNOW from his one touch that Thompson can get downhill on defenses.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Speedy?

Speedy is a RB, not a wing. Then again, one could have said the same thing about Mark Myers.

I like getting Kennedy at RB (I found DeBesse’s comment about his competitiveness/desire to have the ball VERY interesting), but it adds to an already-existing logjam. I’m almost hoping King isn’t eligible, just so Speedy, Walker, and Cunningham get a fair shake at RB. Logan Wright should get 400-500 snaps there in 2019. He got about 300 last year.

Kennedy can catch AND annihilate people taking pitches downhill, which is ideal for slot. But playing him there is definitely a luxury for a team looking break more big plays. We can replace his receiving production at slot, but it’s gonna be hard to find another player who can take pitches as effectively AND force the defense to account for the threat of him doing so.

It would be much easier to move Kennedy to RB full time if Bargnare and Ford hadn’t bailed. I’m rooting for Malik Murray, who made a couple of BIG catches in 2018. Here’s also where I advance my idea of moving Dexter Carter to slot for a record third-straight offseason.
    So that leaves the question of who plays slot. We've got one of the roster as of now. I assume we signed Darius Lewis to play slot but I assume we won't just have one slot for the spring.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    So that leaves the question of who plays slot. We've got one of the roster as of now. I assume we signed Darius Lewis to play slot but I assume we won't just have one slot for the spring.
    I assume that Murray and Thompson are currently playing slot, but who knows for sure? Maybe the 5’5” walk-on WR (Hill)? Maybe Carter? Definitely Lewis this summer.

I am quite optimistic that hiring Lamar Owens will pay big dividends in that position group, both with the outside receivers under his charge, and with his slots.

That was a big responsibility for DeBesse, I’d imagine. Seems like a lot of last year’s WRs and slots were unhappy that game reps were mostly going to players on the basis of seniority. Sounds like a situation that a part-time position coach might have found himself in.

QB is probably a more efficient use of his time.
    Thanks, Rastabot!