TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GS nose tackle granted 6th year of eligibility

1. Default GS nose tackle granted 6th year of eligibility

Georgia Southern nose tackle Ian Bush has been granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA, the school confirmed to the Savannah Morning News on Monday.
    A Port Charlotte, Florida, native, Bush played 278 defensive snaps last season as a redshirt senior. However, prior to 2018, Bush had played only 60 defensive snaps in four seasons as injuries prevented him from seeing the field.
    After a redshirt season in 2014, he played in four games in 2015 before suffering a hand injury late in the season. In 2016, Bush missed every Georgia Southern game, and in 2017 he was injured in the opener at Auburn, causing him to miss the rest of the Eagles’ 2-10 campaign.
    Last season, Bush was solid in the middle of the defensive line playing behind fellow nose tackle Ty Phillips in defensive coordinator Scot Sloan’s 3-4 scheme. Bush recorded 28 tackles (3-1/2 for a loss) and two sacks.

He played in 12 of 13 games.

Bush’s return only strengthens one of the Sun Belt’s best defensive lines heading into the 2019 season. Phillips (13 games, 36 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, 2-1/2 sacks in 2018) is the leading candidate for the No. 1 nose tackle job, but Bush and sophomore C.J. Wright (13, 11, 2) will provide experienced and talented depth. Incoming nose tackle A.J. Watkins (Fairburn; Langston Hughes) could also factor into the defensive line rotation.

Watkins is highly touted and is one of the state’s top 250 players in the class of 2019, according to Rivals.com and 247sports.com.

Georgia Southern will announce its 2019 recruiting class officially on Wednesday at 11 a.m. in Statesboro. The Eagles have their first of 15 spring practices scheduled for a week later on Feb. 13.

Savannah Morning News
    https://www.savannahnow.com/sports/2...of-eligibility
    "I believe political correctness is one of the most dangerous movements facing America." Erk Russell

Default Re: GS nose tackle granted 6th year of eligibility

Great News!

3. Default Re: GS nose tackle granted 6th year of eligibility

Good! It’s encouraging to see the NCAA do the right thing (for once.)

Now move CJ Wright to short yardage back and H-back, please.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

5. Default Re: GS nose tackle granted 6th year of eligibility

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Yesssssss!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post

While I think he could be a really good player for us on the offensive side of the ball, if we move Wright then that leaves only Watkins returning at NG in 2020. That’s far from an ideal situation. We need Wright more on defense than we do on offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    While I think he could be a really good player for us on the offensive side of the ball, if we move Wright then that leaves only Watkins returning at NG in 2020. That’s far from an ideal situation. We need Wright more on defense than we do on offense.
    Exactly. Wright on O is a luxury.
    Dr. Tredell Dorsey, Esq., Black Belt, and motivational speaker

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Not in 2019, though.

Isn't Herring a NT as well?

We could play Wright exclusively on O in 2019 (TE is a position of need) and then roll into 2020 with Wright, Watkins, and Herring at NT.

The other thing is that this would allow Watkins (or Herring) to get third-team reps, preparing him for 2020 better than a RS season would.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Not in 2019, though.

We could play Wright exclusively on O in 2019 (TE is a position of need) and then roll into 2020 with Wright, Watkins, and Herring at NT.

The other thing is that this would allow Watkins (or Herring) to get third-team reps, preparing him for 2020 better than a RS season would.
    We don't need him "exclusively" on O. We need a couple snaps per game. Play D and use sparingly on O.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Not in 2019, though.

So you want to stunt the growth of our most likely starting 2020 NG by having him not even play or practice the position for a year? Don’t think that’s a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.