TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

From a sentimental standpoint I hate to see it change, but we were pretty much already too big to call out every name before the merger. Some years it can get really uncomfortably hot and on top of that you always have some rude people who think the person they're coming to see walk is the bestest and most importantest person in the ceremony and have to hoot and holler over the next person's name.

That, and the stadium is too small and Hanner isn't even big enough for Statesboro High School's graduation.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

I signed the online petition (I feel so radical now) mainly because I don't like the way they made the decision and how it is being rolled out. I can see why they are doing this and there is a certain amount of logic to the new format. However, I believe they should have not implemented this format until the first "freshman class of the merged University/those who started after the merger was announced" are graduating. Those who started at GS and Armstrong before the merger chose each school for a reason and did not "sign up" for the merged school. Those who started after the merger was announced should have known there would be logistical and organizational changes when they decided to attend and chose to attend anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gwinnetteagle88 View Post
    I can see why they are doing this and there is a certain amount of logic to the new format. However, I believe they should have not implemented this format until the first "freshman class of the merged University/those who started after the merger was announced" are graduating. Those who started at GS and Armstrong before the merger chose each school for a reason and did not "sign up" for the merged school. Those who started after the merger was announced should have known there would be logistical and organizational changes when they decided to attend and chose to attend anyway.
    Well said .. Couldn't have said it any better
    Duane Claxton
    Savannah Ga
    Married into Eagle Nation 1994

4. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

The Savannah students should graduate at the Savannah Civic Center together.

The Statesboro students should be broken up by college. The 4 largest colleges should each have their own ceremony in Hanner at different times. The 4 smallest colleges should do the same in the PAC. That's how every other major university does it.

I get that it's a tradition to graduate in Paulson, but I think this is the better way to handle graduations in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by gsugt1 View Post
    Well said .. Couldn't have said it any better

Thanks. One other point my daughter mentioned to me is she knows of a few sets of twins or siblings attending the Statesboro campus, but are in different schools where one is walking in Statesboro and the other in Savannah in their department ceremony. If the school overlaps these ceremonies or schedules them too close together it could be problematic for family to attend both ceremonies. Hopefully they will consider this in setting the schedule to ensure enough travel time between the venues to allow people to attend.

I wonder how many of those graduating from the Nursing, Public Health, and Education programs matriculated in Savannah, and how they would have felt about having to walk at a campus they’d never attended an hour away? Bottom line is that one group or the other was going to be mildly inconvenienced either way and given that fact I’m sure the decision was made based on practical and logistical factors knowing that there would be hurt feelings either way.

I walked in Hanner and I’d have loved for my ceremony to have been shorter. I’m sure most traveling guests will find Savannah to be at least an equally appealing destination.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Graduated in December 2003, so I was glad to walk in Hanner with my college and a few others. It was first thing in the morning, had my name called, walked across the stage and was out in around an hour. I was glad not to have to sit out in the May sun in a black gown that doesn't breathe whatsoever.
    Josiah McDaniel
    B.S. in Journalism, 2003
    Statesboro, GA
    "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." --I Corinthians 13:11

8. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Unacceptable!

I know they are trying to be all inclusive of Armstrong and such, but moving graduation to another city is crazy.

Absolutely unacceptable.

Pandering to a smaller campus to appease pointless and useless adminstraors.

No student or family member wants this kind of nonsense.

9. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    I wonder how many MAJOR large Universities call out every students name at graduation?
    Virtually none. Stand and confer, by school, is very common. Small, personal graduation ceremonies, by school, are generally done to call names.

This puts GS where most large schools already are...much ado about nothing IMO. Go to the large one only, go to small one only, go to both, go to neither, your choice...

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Unacceptable!

I know they are trying to be all inclusive of Armstrong and such, but moving graduation to another city is crazy.

Absolutely unacceptable.

Pandering to a smaller campus to appease pointless and useless adminstraors.

No student or family member wants this kind of nonsense.
    A large number of students were going to have their graduation moved to another city either way.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose