TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Have the administrators not taken into account how dangerous this plan could be? I'm trying to picture how I-16 is normally on Friday mornings and then adding frantic college students (possibly even still intoxicated from the night before. I know I was) on top of that. Even in good weather, there's bound to be an accident in that scenario. As soon as loss of a student's life occurs because of this boneheaded and ill-informed decision, someone at GSU should be held accountable.
    So, now the University is responsible for students driving dangerously and possibly drunk? C'mon, man. I mean, they still have classes on Friday mornings, don't they? And we still expect them to get in their car and show up for those regardless of how "frantic" or hungover they are, right?

There are a few good arguments about why this may be an unfortunate situation for some, but "We can't do this because it would require driving on an interstate highway" isn't one of them. I'd be surprised if anyone had to tap their brakes before turning into the convention center at that time of day unless there's an untimely car broken down right in the middle of I-16. I always laugh at the fact that all of the local morning news shows have a "traffic report" where they fumble for something to say other than "It all still looks pretty clear pretty much . . . everywhere" as they display a map with all routes showing "green" for "no delays". I realize that we live in a fragile society these days, but asking people to show up at 9:00 a.m. on what's otherwise a normal work/school day at an easily accessible location that is at most 50 minutes from your door step isn't exactly casting them irresponsibly into harm's way.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

2. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    So, now the University is responsible for students driving dangerously and possibly drunk? C'mon, man. I mean, they still have classes on Friday mornings, don't they? And we still expect them to get in their car and show up for those regardless of how "frantic" or hungover they are, right?

There are a few good arguments about why this may be an unfortunate situation for some, but "We can't do this because it would require driving on an interstate highway" isn't one of them. I'd be surprised if anyone had to tap their brakes before turning into the convention center at that time of day unless there's an untimely car broken down right in the middle of I-16. I always laugh at the fact that all of the local morning news shows have a "traffic report" where they fumble for something to say other than "It all still looks pretty clear pretty much . . . everywhere" as they display a map with all routes showing "green" for "no delays". I realize that we live in a fragile society these days, but asking people to show up at 9:00 a.m. on what's otherwise a normal work/school day at an easily accessible location that is at most 50 minutes from your door step isn't exactly casting them irresponsibly into harm's way.
    Do you commute from Statesboro to Savannah? I did for a long time. Traffic is unpredictable especially on Fridays when all the tourists are driving into town for the weekend. The stretch from 95 to downtown always get clogged up in the mornings because the 16/95 connector is a mess with big tractor trailers swerving across lanes to get into and out of exit lanes. And yes, the amount of students having to drive back and forth on I-16 does rest on the university's shoulders especially because one of the main reasons cited for the merger in the first place was to reduce the number of students that had to commute from Savannah to Statesboro everyday and vice-versa. GSU could easily change their plans to let Savannah students stay in Savannah and Statesboro students stay in Statesboro, but they are refusing to so yes, they should be held accountable should a tragedy occur because of their decision to do nothing.

Lots of families traveling for graduation. Is the university responsible for them as well even for those not having to change where they were going to be headed? How about just cancel ceremonies altogether in the interest of safety? Where does someone else's responsibility end and **** happens begin? That's a rabbit hole you can go down and never come back up.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Do you commute from Statesboro to Savannah? I did for a long time. Traffic is unpredictable especially on Fridays when all the tourists are driving into town for the weekend. The stretch from 95 to downtown always get clogged up in the mornings because the 16/95 connector is a mess with big tractor trailers swerving across lanes to get into and out of exit lanes. And yes, the amount of students having to drive back and forth on I-16 does rest on the university's shoulders especially because one of the main reasons cited for the merger in the first place was to reduce the number of students that had to commute from Savannah to Statesboro everyday and vice-versa. GSU could easily change their plans to let Savannah students stay in Savannah and Statesboro students stay in Statesboro, but they are refusing to so yes, they should be held accountable should a tragedy occur because of their decision to do nothing.
    I drive from the Dean Forest exit to the 37th Street exit every day, including this (Friday) morning. Unless there’s a substantial accident, it’s hardly what anyone from Atlanta for instance, would call “traffic”.

So your solution is to have duplicate ceremonies for the overlapping colleges?

As far as responsibility, is the school responsible if a student gets in an accident traveling to class on Fair Road? You act like the school is forcing people to run some kind of hellish gauntlet as a condition of receiving their diploma. It’s not like it’s being held at the top of Mt. Everest. Once you leave Statesboro, you literally make one left turn and one right turn traveling entirely on well-maintained state and federal highways to arrive at a voluntary-participation ceremony. If you would like to participate, I don’t think it’s a lot to ask to place the responsibility on you to drive safely and while sober.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

5. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Quote Originally Posted by gwinnetteagle88 View Post
    IMO this is just another headache resulting from the BOR being afraid to address the issues of SSU. They should have looked at merging Armstrong with Savannah State instead of GS and Armstrong. A SSU and ASU merger would have made so much more sense given their close proximity and enrollment. It would have been so much easier to manage two campuses in the same city plus they really could have shared instructors across both campuses easier. SSU has dropped 10% and 8% enrollment respectively the past two years and recently announced laying off 26 professors this coming fall. I believe the BOR only delayed having that tough conversation on what to do with SSU by a few years.
    I agree that an ASU/SSU merger would make more sense-in the near term....

I do think SSU will be merged into GS as well eventually.

The state wants a handful of schools, and clearly that’s where we are headed.

I think they are just merging the Savannah schools in stages. Less political

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    I drive from the Dean Forest exit to the 37th Street exit every day, including this (Friday) morning. Unless there’s a substantial accident, it’s hardly what anyone from Atlanta for instance, would call “traffic”.

So your solution is to have duplicate ceremonies for the overlapping colleges?

As far as responsibility, is the school responsible if a student gets in an accident traveling to class on Fair Road? You act like the school is forcing people to run some kind of hellish gauntlet as a condition of receiving their diploma. It’s not like it’s being held at the top of Mt. Everest. Once you leave Statesboro, you literally make one left turn and one right turn traveling entirely on well-maintained state and federal highways to arrive at a voluntary-participation ceremony. If you would like to participate, I don’t think it’s a lot to ask to place the responsibility on you to drive safely and while sober.
    the green scooters on campus?, oh my, don't get me started....

7. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    the green scooters on campus?, oh my, don't get me started....
    Those green scooters are crazy.

They are all over certain places-and really, really stupid.

Never see anyone wearing a helmet on one, but they are zipping along as fast as any bike

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Those green scooters are crazy.

They are all over certain places-and really, really stupid.

Never see anyone wearing a helmet on one, but they are zipping along as fast as any bike
    Bird and Lime can't enforce state laws but they do tell users to abide by local rules. Which means BYOH - bring your own helmet. Two morons got hurt on campus a few months ago by riding the scooters and crossing the bypass. It was 100% their fault and I believe both are still hospitalized with major health issues.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Savannah State will never be merged. Armstrong has always been a commuter campus and commuters don't generally make loyal alumni. Savannah is UGA strong with a pleasant and detached attitude toward GS.
    My hope is that this merger leads to Research status if Savannah ever gripes enough. Most of them live to go to Atlanta and Athens.

10. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Bird and Lime can't enforce state laws but they do tell users to abide by local rules. Which means BYOH - bring your own helmet. Two morons got hurt on campus a few months ago by riding the scooters and crossing the bypass. It was 100% their fault and I believe both are still hospitalized with major health issues.
    I saw a story on one of them on Atl news.

Girl was crossing street on one of those things and got nailed by a car doing about 50.

I’m not sure what it is about those scooters that make people so retarded.......

But they abandon all common sense when they set foot on one.

Those things (and ensuring mishaps) are all over downtown Atlanta-from what I hear.