TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    No it's not. It's a new tradition. I and many other GSU/GSC walked in Hanner. Honestly as big as we are now, the individual name calling needs to go. It wasn't until around 1999-2000 graduation moved to Paulson.
    You realize you're talking about 20 years at this point.

Perspective.

No it's not. It's a new tradition. I and many other GSU/GSC walked in Hanner. Honestly as big as we are now, the individual name calling needs to go. It wasn't until around 1999-2000 graduation moved to Paulson.
    Yep, no current student has a parent that walked at Paulson. Hanner for me back in spring of '93.

Like I said earlier, I get the need for WHY they are doing it and pretty much agree with the smaller ceremonies. Not sure I agree with sending 'Boro students to Savannah and vice versa. And I definitely think it should be put into affect in 2020, not this year. Give people time to come to terms with it and plan accordingly. Most folks have already figured it out for this year.

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    You realize you're talking about 20 years at this point.

Perspective.
    Yes you are right. Guess people are used to a Paulson graduation now. That's a whole generation.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by gsudarlin View Post
    just to clarify the Savannah ceremony isn't on the Armstrong campus, it is at the Savannah trade and convention Center which is on the border of South Carolina. Not anywhere close to the Armstrong campus. It's also not just the Statesboro students being Inconvenienced by this. Savannah students will now have to go to Statesboro. I understand trying to give it a more personal feel, but I don't understand why it can't just be broken up into maybe two big ceremonies at Paulson where everyone can still get their name called, but you don't have over 4,000 people going at once. Sure, you may have drama in terms of which ceremony runs on what day and time, but at least everyone will be in one location.
    Doesn't make sense to me to pay for a venue in Savannah if Hanner and Paulson will both already be set up
    yep, they say building is beautiful, ample parking. BUT, 9:00 AM on a Friday morning in Savannah with only 1 route going and coming to the sight, gridlock baby, gridlock! The wife already said she'll be leaving at 6:30 am to beat the "snarle"

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    yep, they say building is beautiful, ample parking. BUT, 9:00 AM on a Friday morning in Savannah with only 1 route going and coming to the sight, gridlock baby, gridlock! The wife already said she'll be leaving at 6:30 am to beat the "snarle"
    The gridlock isn't any better trying to get into Paulson via the bypass, trust me.
    Sean Payne
    Class of 2008 | Graphic Design
    Statesboro, GA

Formerly known as TrueBlueAlum

If it's at the Convention Center on Hutchinson Island, then you really don't have to go into Savannah at all on main streets or downtown. As long as I-16 isn't backed up, it's just going down to Exit 166 getting off there and going over the Talmadge Bridge to the Convention Center/Westin Resort. Now I-16 could get backed up for any number of reasons, but it is better than say having to go on DeRenne or Abercorn that time of the morning probably.
    In fact anytime I want to go to downtown Savannah that's what I do. Parking is either free (if gates aren't down) or $5.00 for the whole day, then I ride the ferry boats over to River Street for free. Beats all the hassle of driving downtown and trying to find parking in more questionable locations.
    Josiah McDaniel
    B.S. in Journalism, 2003
    Statesboro, GA
    "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." --I Corinthians 13:11

What?? How is 1999-2000 new? That is when Paul Johnson was here. That's not new at all, that's 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBleedsBlue View Post
    If it's at the Convention Center on Hutchinson Island, then you really don't have to go into Savannah at all on main streets or downtown. As long as I-16 isn't backed up, it's just going down to Exit 166 getting off there and going over the Talmadge Bridge to the Convention Center/Westin Resort. Now I-16 could get backed up for any number of reasons, but it is better than say having to go on DeRenne or Abercorn that time of the morning probably.
    In fact anytime I want to go to downtown Savannah that's what I do. Parking is either free (if gates aren't down) or $5.00 for the whole day, then I ride the ferry boats over to River Street for free. Beats all the hassle of driving downtown and trying to find parking in more questionable locations.
    16 going towards Savannah in the mornings is typically a gridlock after 95..

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    It is big, beautiful inside is debateable, but it can certainly be decorated. LOTS of parking.

I guess the bright side is that River Street is in the background for outdoor photos, but if students have never visited SAV, that won't feel special

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemark View Post
    What?? How is 1999-2000 new? That is when Paul Johnson was here. That's not new at all, that's 20 years.
    Assuming you're in your 20s. It is a long time but it won't seem like it. 🤔