TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

So you could be a Nursing, or College of Ed student, taking 100% of your classes in Statesboro, but since your college is "headquartered" out of Armstrong, that's where you'd have to go for you college ceremony? Wow.

This reeks for current seniors who've known nothing other than folks graduating in Paulson. Guaranteed families have already booked rooms in Statesboro, etc. (you have to WAY early... when my god-daughter graduated last year, we made reservations in September). Now, they have to switch up and do stuff in Savannah? If you're going to do it, start it next year and give people time to adjust. Don't do it now basically 4 months before graduation. Black eye for the university on this one.

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31

Not sure when the decision was actually made, but it first leaked out over a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    I wonder how many MAJOR large Universities call out every students name at graduation?
    Since when does Georgia Southern do what everyone else does? GS has traditions and that is what makes us special. The school, alumni, and fanbase take extreme pride in these traditions. Taking a big tradition away from the school is going to upset lots of folks, which is why you see that online petition have 6,000+ signatures almost instantly.

Two things are rubbing people the wrong way:
    1. Walking across the stage at Paulson is one of these traditions. Taking that away from people will unsurprisingly end up in a lot of bad PR for the school and a big backlash. Rightfully so, as people have the expectation that they will be able to do as their parents, siblings, etc at Georgia Southern did and that is to have their name called at Paulson Stadium and to walk across the stage.
    2. Moving some of the smaller ceremonies to Savannah. Both GS and Armstrong are mad because now Armstrong students (a lot of them) have to come to GS. This is one thing that both Statesboro and Savannah can agree on and people are furious.

I would hope that the school would reverse this. The big black eye is it says "much discussion" occurred. Were any student opinions considered whatsoever?

I wonder how many MAJOR large Universities call out every students name at graduation?
    Very true. And a lot of grads skip the ceremony all together. At least partly because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEX2 View Post
    Very true. And a lot of grads skip the ceremony all together. At least partly because of this.
    real simple, I was a psychology major at UAlbany, at my ceremony they called/sat all psychology majors together, when it was time they announced all psychology majors stand up. I stood up. My mom and dad were very happy. Not having my name called didn't upset me or my parents. The entire thing was over in 30 minutes and that included the guest speaker rambling on. Glad it ended quickly cause dad took us all out for dinner. Very nice day, was spared having to listen to 2,500 names being called out, my name listed in the official program was good enough.

real simple, I was a psychology major at UAlbany, at my ceremony they called/sat all psychology majors together, when it was time they announced all psychology majors stand up. I stood up. My mom and dad were very happy. Not having my name called didn't upset me or my parents. The entire thing was over in 30 minutes and that included the guest speaker rambling on. Glad it ended quickly cause dad took us all out for dinner. Very nice day, was spared having to listen to 2,500 names being called out, my name listed in the official program was good enough.

I like this method above. The "tradition" of Paulson ceremonies started with Grube. I graduated twice in Hanner and would've been happy with a 30 minute ceremony. 2 ceremonies is silly, otherwise the venue isn't really a big deal.

Just my two cents, but a lot of people are making way too big a deal about this. My wife graduated from nursing school at UF. She attended UF at the Jacksonville campus, but had the graduation ceremony in Gainesville, where she'd never had a single class...and no one cared at all. The students just want to receive their diplomas; I doubt they're up in arms about it like some on social media right now.
    Cameron Smith
    GS Student 2007-2011
    GS Fanatic 2007-the end of time

yeah, this is big for people. i walked in hanner, enjoyed it.

Jeez, people really need to read the commencement link that was posted, use some logic, and toughen up. They are doing more than enough to try and make everyone happy. The individual college ceremonies are being set up to fluff up the delicate even more than has been done in the past. If the first action of a soon to be graduate is to complain about something like this not being what they want, then life is about to get REALLY hard.
    4000 grads....just to say each person's name in one ceremony would take over three hours.