TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 14151617 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 165

Thread: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Reidsville, GA
    Posts
    1,405

    Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Might I suggest that this isn't as big a deal as folks are making it out to be?

    Is graduating and "hearing your name" a sweet deal? Sure. Is it really all that important in the grand scheme of things? No.

    I'd look at something like this as a slight annoyance...not the fire a brimstone some are making it out to be.
    *Maybe if they hadn't announce this change only 4 months ago, this wouldn't have been as big a deal.

    Since they've opened Pandora's box regarding the separate college ceremonies, they should go ahead and do separate ceremonies for each college and campus.

    Honestly though, they should keep it the way it and let people deal with it. My sister is set to finish up medical school at the University of Tennessee next year. She's spent two years taking classes in Knoxville, but graduation will be in Memphis. She said she's probably not going to walk, because the 11-12 hour round trip isn't worth it. People will deal with it and move on; in a few years, no one will even remember that this was a thing.
    Zach Towery
    Bachelor of Music 2009
    Master of Music 2012
    Reidsville, GA



  2. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

    Here's the view from above of Paulson Stadium:

  3. #153

    Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Might I suggest that this isn't as big a deal as folks are making it out to be?

    Is graduating and "hearing your name" a sweet deal? Sure. Is it really all that important in the grand scheme of things? No.

    I'd look at something like this as a slight annoyance...not the fire a brimstone some are making it out to be.
    Just because it's not a big deal to you, doesn't mean it's not a big deal to others. And that could be a determining factor in their decision to donate. "Why should I donate when I've paid tuition and my family didn't get to see me graduate?"

    The teacher that was in charge of graduation when I was in HS reminded us that walking across that stage wasn't for us and it was possible that we couldn't care less, but it was huge for the people in the audience.

  4. #154

    Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleTrump View Post
    Just because it's not a big deal to you, doesn't mean it's not a big deal to others. And that could be a determining factor in their decision to donate. "Why should I donate when I've paid tuition and my family didn't get to see me graduate?"

    The teacher that was in charge of graduation when I was in HS reminded us that walking across that stage wasn't for us and it was possible that we couldn't care less, but it was huge for the people in the audience.
    I would remind you that donations to Athletics don't go to the administration responsible for graduation ceremonies. I stopped donating to my colleges long ago when they stopped teaching.

  5. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    I would remind you that donations to Athletics don't go to the administration responsible for graduation ceremonies. I stopped donating to my colleges long ago when they stopped teaching.
    He didn’t say anything about athletics.

  6. #156

    Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

    Quote Originally Posted by aristocracker View Post
    Here's the view from above of Paulson Stadium:
    That is a very sad photo!

  7. #157

    Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    He didn’t say anything about athletics.
    That's my point. People might want to differentiate between donating to Athletics and donating in general. I can support Eagle Athletics without supporting the USG.

  8. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    That's my point. People might want to differentiate between donating to Athletics and donating in general. I can support Eagle Athletics without supporting the USG.
    Very good point!

  9. #159

    Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    That's my point. People might want to differentiate between donating to Athletics and donating in general. I can support Eagle Athletics without supporting the USG.
    This is misguided. Any and all donations made to Georgia Southern- either to Athletics via the Athletic Foundation, or to the Georgia Southern University Foundation, go exactly where donors direct their giving.

    I don't want to get into the USG and how it views or treats Georgia Southern or any of the politics of consolidation or higher education politics in Georgia.

    I get what you are saying and where you are coming from, but if you actively choose not to support the University Foundation (which provides student scholarships, program support, faculty and student travel/conferences, etc.) that is certainly fine and a personal choice. But please do not negatively influence others who do wish to support the University.

    We need all the support we can get, and I would think this being a forum for Georgia Southern Athletics that we can all support both Athletics and the University, even if the USG has oversight.

  10. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

    Apparently, 96% of 2,000 surveys collected from adendees of the recent commencement ceremonies reported a negative experience.

    https://www.wtoc.com/2019/06/04/geor...encement-plan/

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27th November 2015, 11:34 PM
  2. Graduation
    By leeman in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10th May 2014, 12:46 PM
  3. Replies: 198
    Last Post: 14th July 2012, 04:30 PM
  4. Graduation Gala
    By Booster EYES in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2nd March 2010, 11:31 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •