TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Completely bogus conspiracy post. I'm bored...

The graduation snafu is on purpose to help get state funds to increase the size of Paulson for a "proper" graduation ceremony of the new U.

Rip it to shreds, but hey it's the offseason.
    "I've seen more heat in an Easy Bake Oven, Meat!"

Carlton Stewart
    c/o 2010, CIT
    Eagle fan since 1999
    Bronze Eagle since 2011
    North Augusta, South Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    I wonder how many MAJOR large Universities call out every students name at graduation?
    When I graduated with my MBA from Georgia State (I know...), they told me they did not call out names. I decided not to put my family through that ceremony and just had my diploma mailed to my house in a tube. Everyone at my house was happy!

Now, my Southern graduation, in Hanner, was special to me.

When I graduated in Paulson, Spring 2003, there were 2 people with microphones on stage calling names alternately with 2 lines (one on each side of the stage) coming up to get the diplomas. My name was acknowledged for less than 2 seconds, but I was acknowledged. And the ceremony took forever, and I remember thinking I would never do that again. And I didnt - I skipped walking for my masters in 2005.

I can see why it would be a big deal for some people, but I think having the 2 ceremonies is a solid compromise. Maybe if I was a current student I would feel differently, but doesnt seem a big deal IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Not really.

Armstrong is not big.

And really-what other schools have done anything like this? Moved entire colleges’ graduations to a satellite campus of a smaller school which was absorbed?

This makes no sense. It’s like UNG moving graduations to some commuter satellite in an industrial park-which they didn’t do, because it would be stupid.

Moving entire programs to Sav arbitrarily is just straight boneheaded. Just a move to give some admins a participation trophy-a very expensive one for many families who have no interest in downtown Savannah
    ^ This is exactly why we're having to go to such extremes to satisfy Savannah. Identifying the Savannah campus as a satellite campus is a slap in the face. We would be wise not to do that. Satellite campuses have satellite colleges. Savannah has their own. They're literally a sister campus now.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    You realize you're talking about 20 years at this point.

Perspective.
    Well, by way of comparison Hanner is 50 years old and apparently we've continuously had December commencements at Hanner right up through a couple of years ago. So, for 30 years it was all at Hanner, and then for 20 years it's been partly at Paulson. It's not exactly a rite of passage for one and all going back for generations.

Either way, I've learned that apparently the walking across the dais and shaking hands and receiving an empty padfolio cover means a lot more than I realized to a lot of people. For me, participating in the ceremony was a necessary evil. I just wanted it to get over with so I could go and really celebrate with my family and friends.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Well, by way of comparison Hanner is 50 years old and apparently we've continuously had December commencements at Hanner right up through a couple of years ago. So, for 30 years it was all at Hanner, and then for 20 years it's been partly at Paulson. It's not exactly a rite of passage for one and all going back for generations.

Either way, I've learned that apparently the walking across the dais and shaking hands and receiving an empty padfolio cover means a lot more than I realized to a lot of people. For me, participating in the ceremony was a necessary evil. I just wanted it to get over with so I could go and really celebrate with my family and friends.
    +1, me too.

7. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFlyFBS View Post
    ^ This is exactly why we're having to go to such extremes to satisfy Savannah. Identifying the Savannah campus as a satellite campus is a slap in the face. We would be wise not to do that. Satellite campuses have satellite colleges. Savannah has their own. They're literally a sister campus now.
    Call it whatever makes you feel better, but they were not ever part of GS history, tradition, or culture.

There is absolutely no reason to hold graduation there-other than a pointless attempt to appease a few butthurt administrators who should be shown the door.

Face it, if we were taken over by a larger school, there’s absolutely no chance we would see them moving graduations to us. And it shouldn’t be expected-absolutely no point in it

8. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Have the administrators not taken into account how dangerous this plan could be? I'm trying to picture how I-16 is normally on Friday mornings and then adding frantic college students (possibly even still intoxicated from the night before. I know I was) on top of that. Even in good weather, there's bound to be an accident in that scenario. As soon as loss of a student's life occurs because of this boneheaded and ill-informed decision, someone at GSU should be held accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFlyFBS View Post

IMO this is just another headache resulting from the BOR being afraid to address the issues of SSU. They should have looked at merging Armstrong with Savannah State instead of GS and Armstrong. A SSU and ASU merger would have made so much more sense given their close proximity and enrollment. It would have been so much easier to manage two campuses in the same city plus they really could have shared instructors across both campuses easier. SSU has dropped 10% and 8% enrollment respectively the past two years and recently announced laying off 26 professors this coming fall. I believe the BOR only delayed having that tough conversation on what to do with SSU by a few years.

If I'm graduating I call in advance, get a tee time at Savannah Harbor, put the clubs in the car and celebrate my GS graduation with a fun 18 holes at a beautiful golf course and cap it off with dinner at Garrabaldies. Now that's a pretty good graduation day.