TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 LastLast

Thread: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Quote Originally Posted by aristocracker View Post
    I watched some of the Paulson ceremony on Saturday and saw a lot of empty graduate seats. Why?
    Cause that would have been the second ceremony they had to attend?

I can understand opting out of the big one if they'd already done the one where their name was called...especially after all the mess that the individual ceremonies appear to have been.

Also, imagine going to graduation Friday in Savannah and then having to go to do the big one in Statesboro the next day.

It really seems like this has been way more complicated than it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by aristocracker View Post
    I watched some of the Paulson ceremony on Saturday and saw a lot of empty graduate seats. Why?
    Why would someone want to do the bigger ceremony at Paulson when there was no individual recogniton with your name being called and you walk across that stage? It would have been very anti-climatic after already being recognized at the Hanner ceremony.

Edit: the bottom line is the administration screwed up this year. Hopefully the powers to be learn from their mistakes before December or next May (I will be one severely p*ssed alumni and parent if my daughters graduation next May is a cluster like this year's)!

3. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

When I graduated my name was called along with my cum laude honors walking across the stage at Paulson. My family cheered and they said they heard my name too. One of the best moments of my life.

What a shame about what is going on right now down there I hate that for the families

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    This situation needs to be rectified.

I suspect it’s the result of a bunch of in-fighting and turmoil amongst administrators due to the merger and the frequent changes in top leadership.

Hopefully the new president will recognize how big a mess this has become and grab this bull by the horns.

This mess absolutely cannot continue. It’s disrespectful and pathetic that a school our size is having issues like these.

Fix it.
    +1 bazillion. Do Right!

This is such a disappointment. Just handle it like last year. Give students a deadline whether they want to walk in Statesboro or Savannah. Then have University wide ceremonies in each location.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

6. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    This is such a disappointment. Just handle it like last year. Give students a deadline whether they want to walk in Statesboro or Savannah. Then have University wide ceremonies in each location.
    +1

Students have to apply for graduation via an online application where they put things like where they want their diploma mailed to. I don't see what's so hard about adding a section that asks which ceremony the student would like to attend: the one in Paulson or the one in the Savannah Convention Center. Then have one on Friday and one on Saturday so that all the dean's can attend each and print out the list of students for each ceremony beforehand. Everybody gets to graduate where they want to, there's space for the families to attend, and traffic issues will at least be reduced a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    I would bet money that you wouldn't have enough people choosing Savannah for it to really help. Most people from metro Atlanta aren't going to want to go all the way to Savannah, especially if there's a bottle neck like TBD describes.

My suggestion would be to just split all the colleges into 2 groups and have 2 different commencement in Paulson. If Hanner is too small for Statesboro High School to hold graduation, it's too small for Georgia Southern, period.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

8. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I would bet money that you wouldn't have enough people choosing Savannah for it to really help. Most people from metro Atlanta aren't going to want to go all the way to Savannah, especially if there's a bottle neck like TBD describes.

My suggestion would be to just split all the colleges into 2 groups and have 2 different commencement in Paulson. If Hanner is too small for Statesboro High School to hold graduation, it's too small for Georgia Southern, period.
    IMO it is ridiculous to ask thousands of family members to drive from the Atlanta area to Savannah to watch a student who just spend 4 years attending classes in Statesboro. The students and their families paid for those classes and they should have the option of selecting the city they wish to walk. Ironically, years from now, the University will ignorantly wonder why these students are not donating more back to the school.

9. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Might I suggest that this isn't as big a deal as folks are making it out to be?

Is graduating and "hearing your name" a sweet deal? Sure. Is it really all that important in the grand scheme of things? No.

I'd look at something like this as a slight annoyance...not the fire a brimstone some are making it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Might I suggest that this isn't as big a deal as folks are making it out to be?

Is graduating and "hearing your name" a sweet deal? Sure. Is it really all that important in the grand scheme of things? No.

I'd look at something like this as a slight annoyance...not the fire a brimstone some are making it out to be.
    *Maybe if they hadn't announce this change only 4 months ago, this wouldn't have been as big a deal.

Since they've opened Pandora's box regarding the separate college ceremonies, they should go ahead and do separate ceremonies for each college and campus.

Honestly though, they should keep it the way it and let people deal with it. My sister is set to finish up medical school at the University of Tennessee next year. She's spent two years taking classes in Knoxville, but graduation will be in Memphis. She said she's probably not going to walk, because the 11-12 hour round trip isn't worth it. People will deal with it and move on; in a few years, no one will even remember that this was a thing.
    Zach Towery
    Bachelor of Music '09
    Master of Music '12
    Reidsville, GA