TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Departing Benson throws down the gauntlet

1. Default Re: Departing Benson throws down the gauntlet

Quote Originally Posted by EagleTeacher View Post
    I agree... I think it's just a matter of the conference overall not having great refs. We just see the calls against us more vividly, because they're against us.
    (Now, on the other hand... you will never be able to convince me that those ACC refs didn't deliberately blow that overturned call in favor of GT during our first game with them... if it's Tech vs. another ACC school, no way does that call get reversed. But, since allowing it to stand would have almost certainly sealed up a win for us, the ACC refs went out of their way to provide assistance to the ACC team. I'll never be convinced otherwise.)
    Rant over.
    I will always believe that those refs and the ref that blew the whistle during the UGA game were following orders to influence the game for the home team. Two blatant calls where the refs were in the wrong that cost us the game. I believe the refs after the Tech game even admitted that they made the wrong call.

Default Re: Departing Benson throws down the gauntlet

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    No offense, but I think that is a bunch of phooey. EVERY team thinks that officials are out to get them. We said the same thing when we were in the SoCon. There is no conspiracy. There are just good and bad refs.
    Agreed! Blaming all our woes on officiating is poor fandom. Come on, refs didn’t cost us the last game.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    I will always believe that those refs and the ref that blew the whistle during the UGA game were following orders to influence the game for the home team. Two blatant calls where the refs were in the wrong that cost us the game. I believe the refs after the Tech game even admitted that they made the wrong call.
    Apparently they are new to this whole game-fixing thing.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

4. Default Re: Departing Benson throws down the gauntlet

Absolutely.

That pass at the GT game happened right in front of me.

Plain as day they were wrong

5. Default Re: Departing Benson throws down the gauntlet

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    Agreed! Blaming all our woes on officiating is poor fandom. Come on, refs didn’t cost us the last game.
    You are right.

Eventually, we will just do well enough that officiating won’t make the difference.

It’s very frustrating to see it so many times, though. Definitely would have won a couple of real big ones.

I’d especially love to see that UGA game won.

IMO it's no different than "blaming" a kicker that misses a late field goal. There were three hours of plays before the kicker ever stepped onto the field. Any one of those plays goes differently and the kicker doesn't even come into the game.

One call or no call being the thing that "cost us the game" ignores every missed assignment or legit penalty or missed tackle dropped pass or whatever else allowed them to score more points than us before the missed call. Blaming something that is uncontrollable is human nature and is the easy way out. But it's BS IMO.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

IMO it's no different than "blaming" a kicker that misses a late field goal. There were three hours of plays before the kicker ever stepped onto the field. Any one of those plays goes differently and the kicker doesn't even come into the game.

One call or no call being the thing that "cost us the game" ignores every missed assignment or legit penalty or missed tackle dropped pass or whatever else allowed them to score more points than us before the missed call. Blaming something that is uncontrollable is human nature and is the easy way out. But it's BS IMO.
    You are missing the aftermath of that call. They reviewed a play which was not reviewable by rule, saw and heard clearly the IW was before change of possession, and made up out of thin air an excuse to go to the monitor.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

8. Default Re: Departing Benson throws down the gauntlet

Not sure I completely agree with that logic. The team can play their hearts out all they want to, but if the refs make a mistake whether on purpose or by accident, it has an outside influence on the game. It's a cop out to say "well the players should have played harder" when they are trying to overcome not only the other team but also the influence of the refs. Take yesterdays Saints/Rams game for example. It came down to a blatant mistake by the officials that cost the Saints the game. You can say woulda coulda shoulda all day long, but there's only so much the players themselves can do.

9. Default Re: Departing Benson throws down the gauntlet

So, we don’t have a right to expect fair officiating?

That stuff doesn’t make a difference?

Eventually, we will win games by such margins that officiating won’t matter (like App and Bowling Green.).

But we do have the right to expect and demand fair officiating. The system supports and promotes crooked refs. Those guys never get disciplined or fire-not even have they pull stuff like “inadvertent whistles” or reviews of nomn-reviewable calls.

The NCAA has many problems. This is one very near the top of the list which needs to be taken seriously.

People always say “nothing will change,” but stuff really needs to. If things keep going on this track of letting dirtbags get away with all kinds of stuff, the sport will no longer be taken seriously. People will stop coming. NASCAR provides an excellent example of where we are headed-you have to apply rules in a fair manner, or people will get pissed off and stop supporting the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    You are missing the aftermath of that call. They reviewed a play which was not reviewable by rule, saw and heard clearly the IW was before change of possession, and made up out of thin air an excuse to go to the monitor.
    I wasn't talking specifically about the uga call. There were other bad calls referenced in previous posts, and the whole reason bad calls was even talked about in this thread was the asinine statement that the league was doing it on purpose to hold the good teams back.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive