TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Departing Benson throws down the gauntlet

Default Re: Departing Benson throws down the gauntlet

What about 'Skins or Opie? I bet they could run circles around any other candidates.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

2. Default Re: Departing Benson throws down the gauntlet

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    I'm curious who the next commissioner of the Sun Belt will be. StAte fans seems to think their AD Terry Mohajir might apply.
    Scratch that. Terry Mohajir has been announced as a CFP Committee member.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...tion-committee

3. Default Re: Departing Benson throws down the gauntlet

I just hope this conference starts treating us better. Officiating in most sports is very much set against us.

My theory is that the conference wants to even things out by punishing good teams with bad calls.

Whatever the reason, it’s happening way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I just hope this conference starts treating us better. Officiating in most sports is very much set against us.

My theory is that the conference wants to even things out by punishing good teams with bad calls.

No offense, but I think that is a bunch of phooey. EVERY team thinks that officials are out to get them. We said the same thing when we were in the SoCon. There is no conspiracy. There are just good and bad refs.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

5. Default Re: Departing Benson throws down the gauntlet

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post

The conference stands to gain nothing from knocking down its best teams

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    No offense, but I think that is a bunch of phooey. EVERY team thinks that officials are out to get them. We said the same thing when we were in the SoCon. There is no conspiracy. There are just good and bad refs.
    I agree, except that I believe some SEC officials are corrupt and are paid to protect their front runners when possible. Maybe by the conference are maybe individuals or programs. But I can't un-see what I believe to be blatant intentional no calls, and calls of phantom penalties. S E C ... "See Every Cheater".

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    I agree, except that I believe some SEC officials are corrupt and are paid to protect their front runners when possible. Maybe by the conference are maybe individuals or programs. But I can't un-see what I believe to be blatant intentional no calls, and calls of phantom penalties. S E C ... "See Every Cheater".
    It's easy to second guess a call on your 70 inch HDTV after watching instant replay 20 times from 10 different camera angels.

Refs gain nothing from one team winning or not, if they do they end up in jail. And only 1 ref has been caught and that was the NBA. The same league that allows stars to take 10 steps on a drive to the basket. Or get away with push off and fouls because your jersey says Curry/Lebron/Kobe/Jordan/etc.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    It's easy to second guess a call on your 70 inch HDTV after watching instant replay 20 times from 10 different camera angels.

Refs gain nothing from one team winning or not, if they do they end up in jail. And only 1 ref has been caught and that was the NBA. The same league that allows stars to take 10 steps on a drive to the basket. Or get away with push off and fouls because your jersey says Curry/Lebron/Kobe/Jordan/etc.
    or Simmons?

I'm curious who the next commissioner of the Sun Belt will be. StAte fans seems to think their AD Terry Mohajir might apply.
    Scratch that. Terry Mohajir has been announced as a CFP Committee member.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...tion-committee
    Not sure why that would preclude him from being the Sunbelt Commish. Might even make him substantially more attractive for the position.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    There are bad calls, of course. Always have been and always will be at every level of competition and in every conference. Are they the result of a conspiracy? No way. Sure, some high school official might call some phantom holding or interference penalties if he has a beef with your team. But not at the major college level. Not when your every move is televised, scrutinized and reviewed. That's not to say that my skepticism is based on some naive notion that some people wouldn't try to do it if they could, and I recognize that every single person has some degree of subjective like/dislike for one team or the other in the game that they are calling. But as a practical matter, unless you're going to just trash your officiating career and go out with a bang and blatantly call numerous incorrect and unreviewable penalties in a game - knowing that you'll likely never work again - the skill that would be necessary to instantaneously identify the correct call, then decide if this play is one where you can get away with a questionable bad call, then counter-intuitively make the bad call, all within a split second, and all while at least maintaining the appearance of impartiality . . . . that would require an ridiculous level of skill. Not to mention that you'd have to rely on the natural flow of the game to present sufficient opportunities (plays with potential calls that are close enough to plausibly go either way) to have an impact on its outcome. It's already a monumental challenge to actually see the play, determine the appropriate and correct call, and make the call convincingly - all within a split second. If anybody ever genuinely tried to do it, they'd probably either get paid to throw the game but not get the right opportunity over the course of the game to make a really impactful "dishonest" call, or get paid and actually have the opportunity and actually attempt to impact the game, in which case they'd better be getting paid a lot because their career would be short.

Are G5 teams playing on the road at P5 schools going to potentially get called tighter than their hosts? I'm sure it happens. But it's because the officials are humans and their subconscious biases creep into their subjectivity, not because they have secret meetings to plan out how they're going to screw certain teams ahead of time. The most convincing argument is the one that shoots down nearly all conspiracy theories for me, and that is that you would have to pretty much have near-100% cooperation with all participants being fanatically committed to the cause and sworn to eternal secrecy in order to protect the scheme, and that is a preposterous proposition. Even if you got one ref to turn, there are 7 other guys on the field that would have to cooperate, and scores of others off the field. That ain't likely to happen.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

The conference stands to gain nothing from knocking down its best teams
    I agree... I think it's just a matter of the conference overall not having great refs. We just see the calls against us more vividly, because they're against us.
    (Now, on the other hand... you will never be able to convince me that those ACC refs didn't deliberately blow that overturned call in favor of GT during our first game with them... if it's Tech vs. another ACC school, no way does that call get reversed. But, since allowing it to stand would have almost certainly sealed up a win for us, the ACC refs went out of their way to provide assistance to the ACC team. I'll never be convinced otherwise.)
    Rant over.
    We had plain white pants, we had plain navy-blue shirts, a number on the front and a number on the back. We couldn't even put a stripe down the middle of our helmets. We used a strip of tape. ... Those kind of things screamed, 'TEAM!' - Erk Russell